View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Does it live up to it's name? 
Superhero

Post Does it live up to it's name?
The BBE Sonic maximizer.

Goes through the effects loop, and through many explanations one can understand what it does.

Didn't paul say he experimented with them? All the HC reviews are either 10/10 or 1/10. It's love or hate.

I really could use more "tightness" and punch in my tone. From what I hear, that's what it does. It's resellable, too. Also, I've read that it helps a lot more with gain sounds rather than cleans. Well! I'm in luck!

Right?

What about differences in models? 428i, 882, sonic stomp, etc etc etc!!!!

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:42 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

+1 I'd like answers.. how ever I think you shoulda just posted in this thread:

http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtop ... 5&start=80

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Ah! Will do, thanks. I'll keep this one too, until it dies.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:49 am
Dr. X

i have a sonic stomp that i put through my effects loop and i loved it. if you dont know how sonic maximizers work, the way it was explained to me was this:

low frequencies travel slower than high frequencies, right? so what a sonic maximizer does is align the low/high frequencies to hit your ears at the same time, getting rid of muddiness and such.

a lot of clubs/venues/studios run bbe 882i in their setup for a better, clearer sound (go to guitar center and ask them to turn on a PA with and without the sonic maximizer and you'll hear the difference)

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1989 Fender Strat w/ Area '61 MIA
1987 Ibanez RG550

Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:25 am
Viking Kong

i have a sonic stomp that i put through my effects loop and i loved it. if you dont know how sonic maximizers work, the way it was explained to me was this:

low frequencies travel slower than high frequencies, right? so what a sonic maximizer does is align the low/high frequencies to hit your ears at the same time, getting rid of muddiness and such.

a lot of clubs/venues/studios run bbe 882i in their setup for a better, clearer sound (go to guitar center and ask them to turn on a PA with and without the sonic maximizer and you'll hear the difference)

I've heard it works very good in a PA setup. I've also read that it isn't as good in a guitar setup. I think its one of those things you have to try it and see if you like it.

I'm not sure exactly what the sonic maximizer does, I doubt it aligns low and high frequencies to offset a speed difference. I believe the description rsmseries posted would violate a few laws of physics.

Low frequencies and high frequencies travel at the same speed. The speed of sound is frequency and wavelength independent.

However that does not mean that low frequencies and high frequencies hit your ears at the same time. Low frequencies tend to be more directional and because of their larger wavelengths they tend to go around objects. High frequencies have a tendency to reflect off objects, so the path traveled may be much longer than the path traveled by a lower frequency component.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:13 am
Viking Kong

I was under the impression that it was a resonance/presence booster. At least, that's what it says on the knobs of my BB sonic Maximizer eq plugin.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:28 am
Dr. X

I'm not sure exactly what the sonic maximizer does, I doubt it aligns low and high frequencies to offset a speed difference. I believe the description rsmseries posted would violate a few laws of physics.

yeah, it sounded wrong. maybe i dreamt (dreamed?) the whole low/high frequency thing but i just remember something about the sound being lined up correctly (i guess in this case "phase/amplitude" distortion) to make the sound clearer.

bbe wrote:
Functional Overview:

BBE High Definition Sound compensates for phase and amplitude distortion, restoring the brilliance and clarity of the original content material. The BBE High Definition Sound process begins by applying a linear phase shift across the full frequency range of the signal, which allows the speaker system to reproduce the transients and harmonics in the correct order. The BBE process then compensates for speaker amplitude distortion by progressively boosting lower and higher frequencies, and doing so within the context of the phase correction process. This efficiently creates a fuller, richer sound without excess equalization.

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1987 Ibanez RG550

Last edited by rsmseries on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:02 am
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
xjustice09x wrote:

yeah, it sounded wrong. maybe i dreamt (dreamed?) the whole low/high frequency thing but i just remember something about the sound being lined up correctly (i guess in this case "phase/amplitude" distortion) to make the sound clearer.

bbe wrote:
Functional Overview:

BBE High Definition Sound compensates for phase and amplitude distortion, restoring the brilliance and clarity of the original content material. The BBE High Definition Sound process begins by applying a linear phase shift across the full frequency range of the signal, which allows the speaker system to reproduce the transients and harmonics in the correct order. The BBE process then compensates for speaker amplitude distortion by progressively boosting lower and higher frequencies, and doing so within the context of the phase correction process. This efficiently creates a fuller, richer sound without excess equalization.[/b]

yeah here's the problem...you boost lows and highs but your midrange stays static, therefore getting you lost in the mix...theoretically speaking.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I have one and it truly makes a world of difference. I can't play without it anymore

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:43 am
Dr. X

yeah here's the problem...you boost lows and highs but your midrange stays static, therefore getting you lost in the mix...theoretically speaking.

i hear what you're sayin' and that does make sense (getting lost in the mix). but, i have done a few shows with them with a mesa boogie stiletto deuce and it sounded amazing. a few of my friends (including the friend i borrowed the stiletto from) said it sounded amazing. and that was with a cheap ibanez with evos! i wasn't lost in the mix from what he says (all i heard was my guitar, my other guitarist, some vocals and some drums through the monitors. and while i had a ton of mids, i didnt have it super cranked or anything.

bottom row is the dirty channel (i had never played with one at the time but the clean channel wasn't set very good, though i did find a great clean tone out of it eventually)
master // presence // bass // mid // treble // gain
50w on the dirty channel , and the dip switches on the right were both set to "tight"

with that said, it's not essential and if i sold the pedal, i don't think i'd care too much. id get an 882i if i was serious into recording though :)

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1987 Ibanez RG550

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]