View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Unusual loss of stamina ... NO NOT THAT 
God Of The Sun

Post Unusual loss of stamina ... NO NOT THAT
It's weird, lately I've been playing the same amount but my left hand seems to get tired more quickly. I used to be able to do pretty lengthy runs and not feel any sort of fatigue and such. Now I do a few quick licks here and there and I've got to stop to let my hand rest for a little bit. It seems to be on and off, a few nights ago I seemed to be fine, but i'm experiencing it right now again. Stupid...hands. :roll:

My imagination or do you guys run into this annoyance as well?

Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:29 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Sounds like your arm is tense. try to keep you arm loose. Also make sure your warming up. Or how long do you play, if you only played for like an hour a night the last few night then its because your arm is out of routine.that messe with me to. If i skip a day then the next day i have to workl through that stiffness.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Superhero

i think u should see a doctor, cuz if its a desease u can treat it right on the begging, better safe than sorry

Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:14 am
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

I don't know, it's weird. If it keeps happening i'm going to ask the doctor or something. I usually practice about 4-6 hours during the week. Weekends more since I don't have much to do, unless I make plans which is rarely. :P Some days though I get really busy and I can only squeeze an hour or 2 if I'm lucky. Lately I've been kinda' busy so I 'dunno, maybe that's why.

Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:07 pm
Profile YIM
Superhero

maybe its just stress or other things, like that sticky hot babes topic :mrgreen:

Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:49 am
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

It's annoying when one day you get a ton of hours in. I remember the other day I had almost nothing to do and I got like 7 or 8 hours in. Then the next day I didn't get to play at all. :evil:

Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:58 am
Profile YIM
Motorman

When ive eaten well i find i can play without a great loss of stamina on that day, however when i come back from the gym and try and play straight away it almost kills me. Maybe you havent been eating eell latley or youve been doing other things that require lots of energy (e.g hot babes thread). Anyway i hope it clears up soon dude. -=j=-

Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:18 am
Dr. X

what was the condition Jimmy Page had (and Vandenberg for that matter)? not that I'm insinuating anything here.

Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:17 am
Profile ICQ
Dr. X

What's weird is that my RIGHT hand tenses up and forces me to stop. Somehow I just can't pick fast. When I was in high school, I used to practice for hours every day with the metranome, but my speed barely got any better. When I play chromatic 16th notes, my right hand starts to give out around 112 - that's fucking slow. I can't figure out what it is.

Chris

Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:47 pm
Motorman

Post MaTT
i know a few people in town that devolped carpel tunnel (spelled right?)....that aint good for anybody......goddamn repetitive motion :oops: :oops:

Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:07 am
Superhero

Street Lethal, i had this same problem too!

In the end it was just the way i had been holding the guitar.. i cant really explain it, i just got really tired quick.

I just changed the way i was holding it, it worked fine.

just me though.. im prolly completely wrong. lol :lol:

Also, do you crack your fingers?? i do, it buggers my hands really bad, but i cant help it.. so warming up helps..

Just me though... cyaaa......

Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:07 pm
God Of The Sun

Post Re: MaTT
MaTT wrote:
i know a few people in town that devolped carpel tunnel (spelled right?)....that aint good for anybody......goddamn repetitive motion :oops: :oops:

I doubt it's carpal tunnel. At least now. Symptoms are carpal tunnel are pain in the wrist and hand, your hands also fall asleep a lot. A while back I was really paranoid about developing it, so I read up about it on some sites, Lol.

Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:30 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Street Lethal, i had this same problem too!

In the end it was just the way i had been holding the guitar.. i cant really explain it, i just got really tired quick.

I just changed the way i was holding it, it worked fine.

just me though.. im prolly completely wrong. lol :lol:

Also, do you crack your fingers?? i do, it buggers my hands really bad, but i cant help it.. so warming up helps..

Just me though... cyaaa......

Yeah, I always warm up. I stretch my fingers, massage the insides of 'em. Then I do those warm ups that John Petrucci demonstrates on Rock Discipline. They're pretty damn useful, I think. Right now I think it's just because my play habbit wasn't constant when i was in Lima for two weeks. I would play a lot some days and not play so much other days. I'm going to see if things change in a week or so when I get back into the regular habbit.

Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:31 pm
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

There are various conditions that could contribute to these symptoms.
First of all, Vandenberg hurt his hands doing isometric exercises. You could be suffering from various forms of tendonitis to ulnar nerve entrapment. Having had 3 surgeries on my arm, I would suggest never having a knife try to fix any of these problems under any conditions. Bruce had surgery for tendonitis also. Examine your technique, warm up properly, play relaxed, and take a break if pain occurs. Over playing is a cause. There's a guy named Arlo Garden in Los Angeles that has treated everyone from Yngwie Malmsteen to Billy Sheehan, the later being the one that referred me to him. He treats all of these without surgery. If these symptoms persist, you might consider contacting him. I wish I had done so 3 surgeries ago. Good luck.

Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:34 pm
God Of The Sun

Well, i've been playing a little more to see if maybe it was just stiffness because I didn't have a constant playing schedule while I was on vacation. It doesn't seem to really be helping that much. I would consider it being tendonitis if it hurt when I played, but that's the thing. It doesn't. Does it HAVE to be painful for it to be tendonitis, or are there other forms of it? The best way i can explain this is take working out for example. When you start lifting at first, you're fine, and you can do it considerably quick most of the time. but the more times you lift, then weaker your arm gets and it gets heavier and heavier with each lift. That's what it's starting to be like for my fingers. Instead of keeping the lightness and quickness after 6 or 7 hours of practice, i keep it for about 1 or 2 and I have to stop playing because I get so frustrated not being able to play nearly as fast as I used to. Maybe it's in my head, but if I manage to get enough info I'll consider seeing a doctor about it. It's just odd with this suddenly happening because I've been having the usual practicing schedule for years and nothing's ever happened. :x

Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:30 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]