View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Why do you play? 
Dr. X

Post Why do you play?
Seriously, why do you feel the need to play the guitar? For me guitar was an escape from the pressures of growing up. I basically used music and guitar playing as a way to hide from the stress of adult responsibility. As the pressure to choose a future increased my desire to play increased.

Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:58 am
Superhero

i play LOADS of instuments, but mainly guitar, piano and tuba!! lol tuba is crazzzzy!

I dunno why, basically an urge or a need, i would probably go mad without music..

Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:13 am
Godzilla

I play guitar because it's an outward expression of my inner self. It's much the same reason I study, practice and teach martial arts..I also enjoy the freedom that playing a musical instrument provides nobody can say that a piece of music I've written is wrong. If it's what's in my heartl, then it's right...

Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:22 pm
God Of The Sun

When i first started to learn hoiw toplay guitar i didnt think id be any good at it so i really wasnt serious about it. My Teacher told me that i was picking it up faster then any student hed ever had, so since i knew i was good at it i started to get more serious abou tit and it became more fun. I play because when i pick up a guitar it doesnt feel like im playing a peoive of wood. It feels like im using a part of my body just like singing or something.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Viking Kong

Post Re: Why do you play?
Reachwind wrote:
Seriously, why do you feel the need to play the guitar? For me guitar was an escape from the pressures of growing up. I basically used music and guitar playing as a way to hide from the stress of adult responsibility. As the pressure to choose a future increased my desire to play increased.

whoa, deep....i got a guitar for christmas when i was eight. started playing when i was fourteen....funny how things turn out...

Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:17 pm
Viking Kong

Simply put: For my love of the art of music...

I grew up with music all around me, all styles as early as I can remember... Hell, I liked music before I liked girls, that's how early an age I was into it...I also play piano/keys, drums, bass and sing but GUITAR is my main THANG!!!...X

8)

Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:32 pm
Unt! I move topics!

Because I wanted to make as many ears bleed as possible. Because of the immense sense of power (and the resulting rush of adrenalin) I get when I play metal riffs at extreme volumes.

Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

"To let my spirit fly" without using drugs,..

Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Number one reason... because it is a lot of fun :D

After that, I play because there is also the sense of accomplishment I get from writing a tune or learning something new. Also, it is, as others have said, a great form of personal expression.

The other reason is that I like teaching, in general, and it's always great when I can help someone learn a concept more quickly that I did. Teaching guitar allows me to benefit both from instructing and from improving at something that I enjoy doing.

Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Its better then running through the forest naked, you could get a branch in the nuts or scratches on the dingily dangly. Playing guitar is safer.

...I'm now divorced Mandy Moore, give me a call, my love shack is empty!

Coop
http://www.waydecooper.com

Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:29 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Three Words:
Three Words:

I LIKE ROCK

Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I picked up guitar because I had to find something to do. My life is boring. I played soccer for 8 years, I played golf for 5 years, and guitar is going to be my next "something" to do. You know, listening to Racer X CD makes you wanna be a rock star.

Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:00 am
Motorman

I started playing guitar when i saw an episode of sabrina the teenage witch where some character said 'girls dont dig pianos, girls dig guitars'. serious. lieing bastards.

Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:24 pm
Viking Kong

I started playing guitar when i saw an episode of sabrina the teenage witch where some character said 'girls dont dig pianos, girls dig guitars'. serious. lieing bastards.

pretty much me too, i started cause my bro told me i could get laid...1 down, 3 billion to go...

Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:27 pm
Godzilla

I started playing it when i left my old band(I was the vocalist), cuz i needed to manage a way to continue composing/recording my songs, so i grabbed my father´s old acoustic guitar and started to play around with the basic chords... In my 16th birthday i won my first eletric guitar, (I known, i known, but you´re never too old to rock´n roll) and started rock it.
The problem is that since then I´ve been addicted to it! I can´t stand one single day without playing my guitars! I just let myself go while playing, I wanna play the guitar loud, this is my religion!

Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Dr. X

I started playing because at a party I saw my buddy playing all these killer VH licks (this was right after VH1 came out) and the people around him were going nuts...After seeing a few concerts and a couple of years of playing it became a sense of accomplishment...At first all I wanted to be able to play was the lead to Over The Mountain...But after I learned that I got hooked and wanted to learn how to play EVERYTHING cool...It's funny how things change now 'cause after 25 years of playing, I rarely play in front of people...I'm not a bad player, I just get real nervous when it's just me, my axe and a crowd...

It's still about accomplishment though...I hear something and go "Damn, I gotta learn how to play that"...It just feels GOOD to play the guitar...

Those who don't play, DON'T GET IT...

Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:47 am
Viking Kong

I rarely play in front of people...I'm not a bad player, I just get real nervous when it's just me, my axe and a crowd...

It's still about accomplishment though...I hear something and go "Damn, I gotta learn how to play that"...It just feels GOOD to play the guitar...

Those who don't play, DON'T GET IT...

DOOD, I KNOW MAN!! IF IT'S PEOPLE I DONT KNOW, I CAN PLAY IN FRONT OF EM, NO BIGGIE, BUT MY FAMILY...DAMNI CANT FOR SHIT!! IT'S JUST LIKE"MAN,I CAN ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING GOOD....COOL" TYPE OF THING.

Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:52 am
Motorman

These reasons may seem pointless and bizarre but then they are coming from me...

When I started...

To look exceedingly cool
To get girls/get laid

During first development

To make noise
To play faster than my brother or anyone else
To be Steve Vai or Joe Satriani

Now, I've grown up a little in my outlook

To get laid
To have fun
To de-stress
To go crazy
Self expression
Sense of accomplishment and achievement
Because the guitar's a part of me now

I think the last one's the main reason why many of us continually have the urge to pickup the guitar and just play whatever. It's like an old friend or a lover that you can't get enough of.

Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

oh i forgot one other reason...BRAGGING RIGHTS...nuf' said.

Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:12 am
Superhero

Post why? i'll tell you why!
:P
a seminal moment:
me in the bath with radio on (age 16) and they play HENDRIX star spangled banner. so i TURN IT UP as far as it will go!
result, my dads hammering on the door going"turn it down!"

i knew this was the noise i needed to make!

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]