View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Judas Priest Question For Jeff Martin 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Judas Priest Question For Jeff Martin
Jeff, if you or someone who knows sees this, can you tell me:

You mentioned in a post a while back that:

"At one time he had even flown me and my wife out to the Bahamas where they were recording Defenders Of The Faith, I think, at Compass Point. I even wrote and sang on one of the tunes..."

Can you tell me which tune you were involved on (was it one of the released tracks and was your part kept in it or was it a demo that got shelved, like several of their other songs)?

Also, did you ever apply for the vocal spot in Priest or get to try out?

Thanks for any thing you can share here or you can email me direct at [email protected]

Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:12 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Judas Priest Question For Jeff Martin
maddrakkett wrote:

I do know this answer. Jeff never auditioned...though he did find out through friends, that he was considered.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:34 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

KenHower wrote:
maddrakkett wrote:

I do know this answer. Jeff never auditioned...though he did find out through friends, that he was considered.

Thanks Ken! Well it's good to know the band considered him. Would have been interesting to have him and Scott along side the foundation of K.K., Glenn, and Ian!

Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

maddrakkett wrote:
"At one time he had even flown me and my wife out to the Bahamas where they were recording Defenders Of The Faith, I think, at Compass Point. I even wrote and sang on one of the tunes..."

While at Jeff's this weekend...I asked him about this...He showed me the pictures from the Bahamas....some really cool pictures of him and Halford launching a toy rocket....but Jeff couldn't remember which song he sang on.

He said...how's this? Motorman and the Metal God playing with rockets.

Regards,
Ken

Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

KenHower wrote:
maddrakkett wrote:

While at Jeff's this weekend...I asked him about this...He showed me the pictures from the Bahamas....some really cool pictures of him and Halford launching a toy rocket....but Jeff couldn't remember which song he sang on.

Thanks for the update - I would love to see those pics, but for now, I like the rocket story! Must have been a *BLAST* :lol:

Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:27 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

KenHower wrote:
some really cool pictures of him and Halford launching a toy rocket....but Jeff couldn't remember which song he sang on.

lol! possible for some pic ken? 2 of the best singers *EVER* launching rockets like little boys...well, good to know there human, thats all...

Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:43 am
Racer X - Current Member

I had to think about it for a bit........The tune I sang on was Hot Nights and Wild Crazy Days, I sang on the chorus. I wrote lyrics to Private Property, He used the 2nd verse. Katrina and I stayed at an English stone cottage right on the beach just a few blocks from the studio with Robs Brother Nigel, his Sister and Mom and Dad.

I have yet to meet any one as cool and loving as them.....testamony to why Rob is such a cut above. I played pool with Julio Egslesias, who was doing an album at Compass Point at at the same time, my true claim to fame. I won. We are going to San Diego in 2 weeks to hang on the beach, I am hoping we hook up and Rock again.

Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:01 am
Profile WWW
is O.H.B.

Jeff, were you ever given credit for any of this as I don't see you mentioned on my Turbo remaster.
Maybe it is on my original

Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:47 am
Viking Kong

I played pool with Julio Egslesias,who was doing an Album at Compass point at at the same time,My true claim to fame.I won.We are going to San Diego in 2 weeks To hang on the beach,I am hoping we hook up and Rock again.

lol! beat Julio at pool huh? No one can take that away from you! and ruthie is right(yet again)...i dont see you on the credits either...

Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:32 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Thanks a million Jeff! Good to hear you had a great time with Rob's wonderful family and Julio Iglasias as well! Love the pool story!

Here's an exerpt from Ian Hill in a 2001 Argentina magazine interview concerning Julio's almost-involvement with Priest:

When the song failed to appear on the Turbo album, the story was passed off as mere rumor. And when The Re-Masters gave us the unreleased recording of "Prisoner Of Your Eyes", it was clear that Julio's voice was not on the song. That seemed to be the end of the story.

During the Turbo recording, music publications began reporting that Julio Iglesias was recording a song with Judas Priest called "Prisoner Of Your Eyes" and there was even a quote by Julio himself saying the song was an "electric bolero" (a bolero is a slow, romantic song - Julio's way of saying a "power ballad"). The reports didn't sit well with the fans at the time, and the press began saying Judas Priest had "sold-out".

Ian Hill: "(laughter) The true story from this stuff is that we were recording in the Bahamas and Julio Iglesias was recording in an adjacent studio. I remember that we were doing a song that wasn't included on the record - that song was 'Prisoner Of Your Eyes'. Recently we remastered the old Priest catalog. We went into the studio and we found a lot of songs that we recorded but never released on the LPs, and 'Prisoner Of Your Eyes' was one of them...As far as I can remember, Rob was singing that song in the studio and Julio listened to him and said to one of our technical experts, 'I want to sing on this song!' But in the end, it never happened (laughs)."

As for Jeff not being credited in the liner notes, this is not uncommon, as Priest rarely credit outside help (except when the song is written entirely by another source, such as the songs Priest have covered like "Green Manalishi" and the stuff written by Bob Halligan Jr.). For example, Don Airey, well-known as he is, was never given credit for his keyboard work on the 'Painkiller' album...

Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Racer X - Current Member

14 days FREE of charge in the Bahamas. I'll take that over a credit on an album any time. He flew us out for his B-day. I can not remember what I got for him, but I'm sure it's not as cool as that. Plus he gave me the will, reason and taught me how to sing off his albums......

I'd have to give him the Bahamas to pay that one back.

Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Golden God

14 days FREE of charge in the Bahamas. I'll take that over a credit on an album any time. He flew us out for his B-day. I can not remember what I got for him, but I'm sure it's not as cool as that. Plus he gave me the will, reason and taught me how to sing off his albums......

That's friggin awesome man.......I would have been floored to be a fly on the wall there in the Bahamas!!!

Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:01 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Jeff, I've wondered about this for quite some time now, and I think you would be the best person to ask. Why didn't Judas Priest include Heart Of A Lion on Defenders? It's easily one of the best Priest songs I've ever heard, and it's also my favorite Racer X song. I think it would've been much better than Heavy Duty/Defenders Of The Faith as the album closer. If HOAL was on the album, it would probably be the best metal album ever.
If you know anything about this, please let me know.

-Yngtchie

Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:41 pm
King Of The Monsters

I know there´s some answer rounding there for that question....anyway, if master Jeff answers, it eould be a lot cooler 8)

Image Image

Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Jeff, I've wondered about this for quite some time now, and I think you would be the best person to ask. Why didn't Judas Priest include Heart Of A Lion on Defenders? It's easily one of the best Priest songs I've ever heard, and it's also my favorite Racer X song. I think it would've been much better than Heavy Duty/Defenders Of The Faith as the album closer. If HOAL was on the album, it would probably be the best metal album ever.
If you know anything about this, please let me know.

-Yngtchie

It just didn't make the cut. Happens all the time.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:41 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

For those of you who care, on Halford Live Insurrection, there are three studio tracks redone, Screaming In The Dark, Heart Of A Lion and Prisoner Of Your Eyes.

Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:29 am
Site Admin

Yeah...we posted Halford's version when it came out. Some liked...some didn't (me for one).

Regards,
Ken

Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

For those of you who care, on Halford Live Insurrection, there are three studio tracks redone, Screaming In The Dark, Heart Of A Lion and Prisoner Of Your Eyes.

I have those, good songs.

Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:01 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Holy friggin cheese balls Batman!! This is way friggin cool. I had no idea band members posted on here. I've been listening to these guys for years. Way friggin cool. I know. I sound like a dumbass but it is pretty cool. :mrgreen:

Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:55 am
Profile WWW
is the Siren's Eye

Also ken. How did you get your picture to show up so big. 8 kb is pretty damn small and you can see how mine showed up.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next