View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Crate halfstack 
God Of The Sun

Post Crate halfstack
Okay, I'm not the richest guy on earth here. So when it comes to buying gear, I'm on a pretty limited budget. The other day I was snoopin' around and found this seemingly good deal on the only Half stack (i think) that Crate makes. It was $400 dollars used. 100 watt head. Great sound and all that. If you aren't sure which one I'm talking about, check the half stack section at www.Musiciansfriend.com, last time I checked, it's the only Crate there.

You guys think it's worth it? I put down $145 and I've got it on layaway right now.

Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:36 am
Profile YIM
Dr. X

You can do much better than a used crate half stack for $400. If I were you I'd look for either a Laney Pro Lead II head or a even a Laney GH50. I've seen both used heads in the $150-250 range. Then look for a solid 2x12 or 4x12 cab that isn't a brand name (if you do your homework you can get a better sounding off-brand or homemade cab for a quarter of the cost of a brand name used cab).

Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:53 am
Viking Kong

Crate = EWWWWWWW!!!!!

Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:10 pm
God Of The Sun

Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:35 pm
Profile YIM
Godzilla

Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:30 pm
Viking Kong

No offense gents, PERSONALLY I've just never found Crate amps to have the tones I seek...That's all...It all boils down to personnal preference...X

Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:33 pm
God Of The Sun

SAME HERE....a good friend of mine is in a band...and they play the nu-metal stuff....and I THINK he has the rig you're talking about...maybe....but It sounds pretty mean for the tones of nu metal...but I plugged in...and just played some random licks...and I was....well.....

disgusted.

As Xela said...it all comes down to personal preferance.

Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

If you want extremely hard eild high gain sounds a la Slayer then i would say go for it

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
God Of The Sun

That's the reason I'm really buying it. It's got a ton of gain. I wish I had more money, then I'd buy a Marshall AVTsomething(i think) or a Laney. I think this is a sign. I need a job. :o

Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:58 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

That's the reason I'm really buying it. It's got a ton of gain. I wish I had more money, then I'd buy a Marshall AVTsomething(i think) or a Laney. I think this is a sign. I need a job. :o

If i were you id stay away from marshall avts. ive tried em and they get nothing but muddy when you turn em up. Not pretty sounding at all.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
God Of The Sun

Just for the record, I went to the Troubadour in Los Angeles in the early 90's for the booking agents annual B-day bash where a load of bands would play. On this particular year, the Electric Fence was performing. Now, all the bands played through the same gear, which consisted of a Crate full stack, Crate bass rig & a set of Tama drums. All of the other bands sounded okay through the Crate. Then the Golden God himself shows up, looks over the settings, makes a few adjusts & proceeds to rip like you've never heard. It was a magic night. One of many that I recorded on a mini recorder, but I have to find the tape (Damn little cassettes!!!). In conclusion, almost any amp could be a winner if you work it just right.

BTW, Paul was playing his orange Danelectro copy with X's & O's on it.

Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]