View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Racer X Wiki 
is the Siren's Eye

Post Racer X Wiki
http://racer-x-band.wikia.com/wiki/Racer_X_Wiki

Due to the recent issues with old posts being lost on the board, as well as some other things, I decided a while ago to start a Racer X Wikia page to centralize all the info on the band that I've collected over the years. Most of the info was accrued from months of poring over page 57 of Google (has anyone ever gone past page 1 for anything ever?!) as well as use of the Internet Wayback Machine (specifically for Paul's site) and recent interviews with members of the band. There's a great podcast called Amps & Axes that did really thorough interviews with Paul, Bruce, and Jeff that filled in some of the blanks. All the photos are just ones that I had laying around on my hard drive in the "RACER X" folder.

Anyway, I've been editing and adding when I can and think that there is a pretty good amount of Racer X history, especially in the Paul Gilbert article which is what I've spent the most time on. Beyond that, it's just quick summaries of the band members as well as some miscellaneous articles on the Snakebyte email, the Ibanez Telesavalas, and Russ Parrish. Obviously Paul is the easiest to find reliable info on.

I encourage anyone to add or correct any of the info there. Racer X is my favorite band, like a lot of you, and I have been a Paul Gilbert mega-fan since the first time I heard him at 17 years old. It breaks my heart that a lot of the band's history is being lost to broken internet pages all over the place, so I am just doing my best to keep it alive in a sustainable place. I figured, what's the point of preserving the stuff if it's just going to sit on the hard drive of my slowly-dying computer.

Let me know if there's anything I can do personally to make the Wiki better.

Cheers, EE

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:18 am
Godzilla

Post Re: Racer X Wiki
Cool stuff. Might gain more traction if sources are stated.

You could equally mine the podcast interviews from The Double Stop (PG, BB, Tafolla, Jeff Martin) and No Guitar Is Safe (PG, goes loooooong) for info. If not, they are well worth a listen anyway. 8)

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Good suggestions man, and if you're the guy that's helping with the editing then HUGE thanks. I wrote the bulk of each article in one sitting and was gonna add sources later, so I'll prioritize that higher now.

I listened to the Double Stop podcasts a while back, great interviews as well. I'll go over them again and see what I can get out of them. Paul's always a great source of info, he never hesitates to go in depth. Amps & Axes was definitely my favorite cause they finally dished out some info on Russ Parrish pre-SP. REAL tough to find info on that guy, pretty much everything from his page is from the dark deep pages of Google. But I think it's important to have him in there, he's always kind of been in the Racer X/Paul Gilbert scene. I also plan on going over NGIS and, if I recall, both Paul and Bruce were on Oscar's Guitar Shop or something like that.

I'll also do my best to scour the board for some tidbits, although the quote function trick for deleted posts is slowing me down a bit and the Wayback Machine only indexed certain pages.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:57 pm
Godzilla

No, I've not pitched in (yet), I'm afraid.

Have you seen Satchel's Varney Spotlight column feature? I've got the hardcopy which I can post if I can't google it up.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:27 am
is the Siren's Eye

I haven't, didn't even know he was featured. If you manage to track that down, that'd be awesome. Thanks man

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 pm
Godzilla

I added a link to a Judas Priest wiki in the Scott Travis article.

Also, I've read that Todd Devito played drums for Racer X between Harry Gschoesser and Scott Travis. However, he never played on a Racer X album. So, Scott Travis was the second drummer to actually play on a Racer X album.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:26 pm
Godzilla

There's also the infamous Cereal Killer ad featuring Telesavalas:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/76/a2/40/76a2407708eaae4ac8f91275489c2529.jpg

8)

I'll scan and host Satchel's Spotlight feature.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:24 am
Godzilla

Oh yeah, here is Tele with the bridge filled in:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/60/82/f4/6082f42ecd4b702a5f00433aed022bec.jpg

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:54 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I always wondered what ibanez rg's they were.. thanks bro for posting those pics

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:37 am
is the Siren's Eye

@Gringo300: I've heard Todd DeVito's name before but only in the message boards' history. Obviously I'm not doubting Ken as he is a personal friend of the band members, so I'll do some digging and see if I turn anything up.

@Gandalf: Thanks for uploading the photos man, I appreciate it a lot. Never saw the Cereal Killer ad before, that's hysterical. I have some PG picks with the linked notes on it. With the Paul Gilbert Hollywood Star photo, I actually found some Brasso and took a trip down from the Bay Area to L.A. (I have a friend who lives there) just to replicate that photo, lol.

If anyone else has some of the rarer photos, I don't really have many except of Paul Gilbert and some of Bruce. I'm also avoiding the Tim Findlay photos as I understand he got litigious over them at some point on the board. Thanks everyone

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:51 am
Godzilla

I'm experiencing off and on technical difficulties and I can only work on the Racer X wiki when I'm not.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:09 am
Godzilla

@Mac_Pro: If you mean Telesavalas, that wasn't actually an RG in the conventional sense: it was a custom-build job to Paul's specs as part of the process that led to the PGM. On the off-chance that you've not heard the story: Ibanez told him they'd build whatever he wanted, so he got custom guitars. But he started playing clinics and would always take an RG off the wall to demo the hosting store’s stock. He quickly noticed that he vastly preferred the sound of the stock models, so out went the odd shapes and in came the RG look and Telesavalas, followed by the PGM series. It's quite understandable that they would be very different. Scott Henderson's said on GuitarWank that his endorsee Ibanezes weren't made by Ibanez at all, but "ghost built" by some luthier. The LACS came about later.

Sorry that I've not produced Satchel's Spotlight yet. I've not forgotten, and I'm on it.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:20 pm
Godzilla

Taken me a while, I know, but here it is:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4297/35916619020_d0385a3c47_k.jpg

This was when he was at GIT with PG. He was living only ten minutes' walk from MI going by that address.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:04 pm
is the Siren's Eye

WOW. That is gold right there. I've passed that apartment multiple times without even realizing. I don't remember the exact building but judging by the surroundings, it was not exactly a stay at the Hilton, lol. That is CRAZY that he picked up that much skill so quickly. Thanks for digging that up and scaning it, real cool stuff.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:31 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

You're right Gandalf about the guitar being the telesavalas that's the guitar he played the electric fence @ MI the satch boogie tune..

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:59 pm
Godzilla

I'm not very good at adding album covers to wikis. Someone else may need to take care of the album covers.

Also, there is a very good chance that I'm going to have gall bladder surgery soon and then I'd probably be unavailable for a few days.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:20 pm
is the Siren's Eye

I'm on it, album art will be up by the end of the day. Thanks again for all your help and good luck with the surgery if that ends up happening, hope you get well soon.

Also, to anyone reading, I know pretty much nothing interesting about any of the albums after Technical Difficulties. All I know is that Paul was the Electric Bat for Superheroes and wore a bundt cake pan on his back as a "jet pack". So those articles will be pretty short unless someone wants to jump in on them.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:48 pm
Godzilla

My pleasure. You can try to drive traffic to the Wiki using FB, Instagram and co. through things like that Spotlight article. I'll post about it in the guitar communities I use.

As for interesting stuff about post-Technical Difficulties Racer X albums, well PG used to have a chart on his website showing how power consumption spiked at his house when recording Getting Heavier in his home studio... Maybe someone's still got that.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:13 am
Godzilla

I added birth dates for Jeff and Bruce.

I'm not sure if I put them in the best place though.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:41 pm
is the Siren's Eye

I'm in LA this weekend, just checked out Russ' old apartment complex (or one right next to it, not sure). Took about 15 mins to walk from there to MI including summer tourist foot traffic. I'll put up a photo when I get home.
Any Racer X related haunts I should get photos of while I'm down here? I dunno how much of the sunset strip is still standing besides the Whisky but I'll look. I leave Sunday night.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next