View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Will be interviewing Paul. Do you have questions? 
God Of The Sun

Post Will be interviewing Paul. Do you have questions?
Hello ladies and gentlemen!

I've been writing for a website called Target Audience Magazine (http://www.tamagazine.com) for a while now and recently had the opportunity to review Paul's new album, I Can Destroy.

http://tamagazine.com/can-destroy-paul-gilbert/

Much to my surprise, I was also offered the opportunity to interview Paul. The date has yet to be set, but I figured in the meantime I'd reach out to other fans and ask if they had any questions they'd love to ask him, adding to those I've already written. I can't guarantee everyone that their question will be asked, but I'll do my best to include those that fit.

-----

EDIT: Thank you once more for your questions! You can find the interview I conducted right here: http://tamagazine.com/interview-paul-gi ... n-destroy/

The #1 Queensryche Source

Last edited by Metal Liberty on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:50 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: Will be interviewing Paul. Do you have questions?
Hey thanks for offering us to give you some input, here's mine :

"Paul, Vibrato was a very jazzy/funky record by the standards of your Racer X/Mr Big audience where it seemed you explored many things very new to you. Would you agree to say that I Can Destroy is a return to more well trodden blues/rock ? If you agree, will you keep expanding your forte and going to heavier rock, or do you wish to try something completely different again ?"

That's the best I can offer that isn't : "Will you FUCKING reunite Racer X NOOOOOW ???!!!"

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:24 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

1. Will you ever re-release any of the older Ibanez PGMs? Even as Premium models?
2. Is your son learning Frenzy yet?
3. Not a question, please reunite Racer X.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:09 am
Promises to use Search button

1. Will you be making another album like "Vibrato"? (really LOVED that album)

2. What's your opinion on newer music styles (EDM, Djent, etc.)?

3. Will you ever reunite Racer X WITH BRUCE?

4. What can you say about these old (80's/early 90's) "bootlegs" (demos, clinics, gigs) of you being passed around to this day? Did you record your gigs for a purpose?

5. If you released an INSTRUMENTAL guitar album from the late 80's-early 90's, how would it sound like?

6. Why don't I see you do those wide-intervalled three-notes per string pentatonic string skipping things anymore?

7. Can you still play Frenzy?

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:00 am
Viking Kong

I have another one:

When you describe the writing process of Vibrato (the song) you mentioned you wanted to create something difficult for shredders to play : you wrote the song in B Flat, and deliberately chose certain rythmns.

How much do those theoretical aspects drive your creative process, and when do you just listen to the music in your head without thinking in terms of scales and rythmns? Do you feel hard rock is a too structured and limited context to play in? Is playing jazz a way to break free from too structured compositions, and if so, why do you still strive so hard to compose using less common scales and rythmns? Isn't it In the end another form of structure?

Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:56 pm
Dr. X

Would you consider making a signature amplifier with Marshall?

What do Marshall amps give you tone-wise that you felt the Laney amps couldn't provide?

Are there any Ibanez guitars you would like that you do not yet own?

Would you consider releasing the Pink Destroyer-Iceman as a signature guitar?

What's been your strangest experience with a fan?

Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:52 pm
Dr. X

Dear Paul,
1. ..as you know there are some Racer- X fans out there that would love to here some positive news considering any racer x related stuff. If there is no racer x reunion, would you consider to take Jeff Martin as a drummer with you on tour so that he could sing a few songs ?

2. You are well known for being a huge fan of Music, especially for 70s Rock, what do you think of scandinavian rock music, havent they brought us some of the finest music in the last 20 Years like Turbonegro and the Nicke Andersson Bands - The Hellacopters, Imperial State Electric. And could you Imagine to play in a Band like that in the future ?

3.and as last question . One Woman too many really reminds me a lot of classic Thin lizzy stuff, i would love to here more like that in the future, any chances ?

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:04 pm
God Of The Sun

Thanks all! I really appreciate you getting into this. The interview is scheduled for June 22. It may end up being shorter than I'd like, but you're welcome to continue sending in questions. While I definitely won't be able to ask all of them, I'll do my best to get a few of them in.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:55 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I think a good way is to combine questions! Also, I'm sure Paul will appreciate the questions not often asked, but I do understand that it's primarily for your magazine, not for us. If you need help, let me know!

Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:43 am
Motorman

When am I going to fucking hear Tough Eskimo?

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:12 pm
Viking Kong

Jerhova wrote:
When am I going to fucking hear Tough Eskimo?

You're not missing anything groundbreaking trust me.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:41 pm
Godzilla

I've got one: Did you sing backing vocals on the Sammy Hagar songs "High Hopes" and "Buying My Way Into Heaven"?

Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:48 am
God Of The Sun

Is there anything to suggest that Paul had some involvement with "High Hopes" and "Buying My Way Into Heaven"?

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:14 pm
Viking Kong

Metal Liberty wrote:
Is there anything to suggest that Paul had some involvement with "High Hopes" and "Buying My Way Into Heaven"?

Exactly my thoughts.

By the way I posted two questions in this thread, and you can discard my second one.
Too long, couldn't find a way to make it short and clear, it's all over the place.

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:34 pm
Godzilla

Metal Liberty wrote:

I vaguely recall reading an article in a magazine over 20 years ago mentioning something about either Eric Martin or Paul Gilbert, or both of them, singing backing vocals on those songs. I've looked for info on the Internet about this, but so far have found nothing.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:16 am
God Of The Sun

Gringo300 wrote:
Metal Liberty wrote:

I vaguely recall reading an article in a magazine over 20 years ago mentioning something about either Eric Martin or Paul Gilbert, or both of them, singing backing vocals on those songs. I've looked for info on the Internet about this, but so far have found nothing.

Ah, I see. Well, I'm sorry to say that this particular one wasn't included, but I managed to get a few others in there. I ran out of time, otherwise I would have thrown in another.

Stay tuned. I'll be working on this and it shall be posted this weekend. I'll put a link here when I get it done. Once again, thanks for all your questions!

Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:50 am
God Of The Sun

I edited my initial post to include the interview link. Thank you to everyone that submitted questions!

Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:37 pm
Viking Kong

Metal Liberty wrote:
I edited my initial post to include the interview link. Thank you to everyone that submitted questions!

Hey thanks !

Just saw my question and was happy to hear the answer, especially that Paul was listening to some Dio.
I guess that leaves hope for a one time Racer X reunion, but that Racer X will never be a full time thing.

I've grown to like some of Paul's less heavy metal stuff... but I must say I find his best playing is in hard-rock.
When I hear him play jazz or blues I can enjoy the music but I sense that Paul himself is learning and not doing something he masters fully.
And as a listener I tend to wanna hear a great master. Maybe it's a close minded thing of me.

Anyway, whatever keeps things interesting for him and keeps him playing is fine I guess !
I can catch the occasional hard-rock track he releases.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:25 pm
God Of The Sun

You're welcome!

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:48 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Sweet!

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next