View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 30 Years Since Street Lethal 
Dr. X

Post 30 Years Since Street Lethal
Any chance for something ? I dont think so...

Here is something Paul said recently

...also, my musical tastes have changed, and I’m just not that interested in a lot of the music that I made in the past. Of course, it’s nice to receive a compliment. But I’m mostly thankful that people are still interested in me, and that I have a chance to do new stuff. If I were really courageous, I would change my name. I actually joined a great, nasty pop-punk band years ago and used the stage name ‘Dick Image.’ I had the best time, and I seemed to do better with the ladies.

“Now, I’d like to be ‘Otis Fieldsgood’ and play slow blues all night. But I’d probably sell about two records, and I’d still play too many notes most of the time. Also, I do have to pay the bills, so I can’t mess with the brand too much. Paul Gilbert, shredder, I remain.”

But on the other hand:

Bruce is part of Pauls Guitar Camp this Year...

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:43 pm
Superhero

Post Re: 30 Years Since Street Lethal
It's pretty sad when you realize that Paul doesn't even like the term "shred" and it's something he will be associated with forever...

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

paul gilbert has become latter day gary moore....more interested in pulling blues faces and waggling his head.
:roll:

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 pm
Search Button God!

Milan wrote:
"(...) I do have to pay the bills, so I can’t mess with the brand too much. Paul Gilbert, shredder, I remain.”

Well, that was pleasant to read...

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:46 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Screw Paul it would be nice to see all the band members of Racer X joined forces to do several albums and live shows but man I'm disappointed in Paul now he's acting all fagget writing music he feels he needs to write which a lot of it doesn't make any sense..Paul what are you trying to prove?? Yes we all know you want to be this songwriter and you written pretty cool solo albums but damn Paul now is the time reconcile Racer X.. Everyone of you has really good networks or connections compared what you guys had in the 80's.. I don't know but I'm not losing hope.. Paul you mentioned that in the style of Racer X or heavy metal that the solos have to be structured or sounds too structured that it doesn't give you any freedom to express soloing but seeing videos of you recently your improvising sounds a bit structured.. There's a little contradiction when your solo improvising.. I say Jeff, Bruce, John, and Scott screw Paul you guys rejoin Racer X and if Paul wants to write fagget music let him.. Anyways Paul's recent album sucks.. If I could I would want my money back but nah I'll let you have it Paul... There I needed to get this off my chest..

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:45 am
Superhero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9s-jPqUW2s

This is what Racer X would sound like without Paul...

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

_NowakP wrote:

I think 'badass' is the word you're looking for.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:26 pm
Viking Kong

Lamer wrote:
Milan wrote:
"(...) I do have to pay the bills, so I can’t mess with the brand too much. Paul Gilbert, shredder, I remain.”

Well, that was pleasant to read...

Yeap, it's sad to read the music he plays we love is only here for him to pay the bills.
I still view music as something you do to share with other people.

Hearing it's for him it's actually "work" is sad.

It's like he'd rather work as an engineer or lawyer over composing virtuosic hard rock/heavy metal.

I've learnt to appreciate his non metal side, but I was hoping he still liked his heavy metal a little.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:12 pm
Godzilla

_NowakP wrote:

Rather a lot like Racer X, then. :)

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:54 pm
Search Button God!

Don't worry Acid. If you ever feel like listening to some Gilbert-esque licks played and lightning speed just listen to Buckethead.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:30 pm
Dr. X

Mac_Pro wrote:
Screw Paul it would be nice to see all the band members of Racer X joined forces to do several albums and live shows but man I'm disappointed in Paul now he's acting all fagget writing music he feels he needs to write which a lot of it doesn't make any sense..Paul what are you trying to prove?? Yes we all know you want to be this songwriter and you written pretty cool solo albums but damn Paul now is the time reconcile Racer X.. Everyone of you has really good networks or connections compared what you guys had in the 80's.. I don't know but I'm not losing hope.. Paul you mentioned that in the style of Racer X or heavy metal that the solos have to be structured or sounds too structured that it doesn't give you any freedom to express soloing but seeing videos of you recently your improvising sounds a bit structured.. There's a little contradiction when your solo improvising.. I say Jeff, Bruce, John, and Scott screw Paul you guys rejoin Racer X and if Paul wants to write fagget music let him.. Anyways Paul's recent album sucks.. If I could I would want my money back but nah I'll let you have it Paul... There I needed to get this off my chest..

I understand you, like many are disappointed that Paul is not writing/performing shred/metal material. However, introducing homophobic terms to vent your frustration really is unnecessary.

It's Paul's prerogative as an artist to write, perform and develop any way that he wants. If that doesn't resonate with his core fan base, that's the risk he takes. However, I'd sooner have an artist be themselves and not buy their material than simply have them regurgitate everything they've done before (when they have done it much better before anyway).

Shred, at best, is a limited genre and I can understand Paul's need to expand. Though I don't necessarily identify with everything he has been releasing recently, I respect his resolve to improve on areas of guitar playing he hasn't explored before. I'd say there are plenty of guys from the 1980s shred scene out there "paying bills" by playing instrumentals from time gone by that helped bring them a bit of exposure. I wouldn't say those guys are exactly setting the world on fire with new material either.

Lastly, the concept of "bill paying" is something that, as fans, we don't like to hear about, but the reality is that in the current music market, unless you're Taylor Swift or married to a Kardashian, you're not gonna be worry free about bills. I imagine when Paul describes this, he's describing trying to strike a balance between developing as an artist and providing for your family.

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:12 am
Viking Kong

I couldn't have said it any better.

Would a new Racer X album kick ass?

Yes it would!

But on the other hand, there are so many relatively new, fresh bands playing metal, that I don't really miss Racer X anymore - and Paul can surprise me with anything he's doing!

In fact, whenever I hear bands or artists with the "shred" brand on themselves, it just feels dull and empty. I prefer Racer X to remain where the band left of.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:14 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]