View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 New PG Album "I Can Destroy" Released in Japan 12-23-2015 
Godzilla

Post New PG Album "I Can Destroy" Released in Japan 12-23-2015
I was wondering if anyone has heard it yet.

http://www.paulgilbert.com/news/2015/12 ... d-in-japan

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom." - John F. Kennedy 1961

Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:50 am
Godzilla

Post Re: New PG Album "I Can Destroy" Released in Japan 12-23-201
Another link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/en ... _year.html

I'm so glad he's releasing an album with VOCALS!!

And Freddie Nelson is part of the band. I'm predicting an awesome record! :D

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom." - John F. Kennedy 1961

Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:54 am
Superhero

I want to get it asap and I'm really hoping for it being "United States 2"

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

You ca listen to samples on japanese iTunes

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:04 pm
Dr. X

Certainly not United States 2, but Freddie Nelson is fairly prominent. It's a real grab bag of styles, all vocal, I'd say a bit of return to form over the last couple.

Should also add that the drill makes a re-appearance too!

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:57 am
Motorman

Hear 19 mins of it here:

http://vk.com/paulvsgodzilla

Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:32 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Just got mine from the mail 2 days ago.

There album is pretty good - especially the first half.

The songs sound like a crossover between everything that Paul has already done - you can hear bits of his early solo years, Mr. Big and Racer X!

There are some parts that do sound a little... naive.

A few blues jams that could be more inspired other than just following that old blue proggression.

Also, I'd like to hear more of Freddie's voice. There are parts of songs in which him and Tony sing, but it's mostly Paul singing lead vocals. The rest of them usually sing the harmonies - which is obviously cool!

Overall, I'd rate it a solid 7.5/10

I still like Vibrato better, since it sounded more unique to my ears.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:37 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

How is the DVD ?

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:56 pm
Dr. X

Milan wrote:
How is the DVD ?

I got the deluxe package that comes with 4 DVDs, and it's all camcorder footage of rehearsals and recording sessions. There's some nice stuff buried in there but it's quite repetitive, and for instance the recording sessions are only picking up the sound in the room and not on the monitors so you can't hear the guitars for a lot of it!

I'd be interested if the single DVD version has any different footage on.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:59 am
Dr. X

Got the Album today.
Could be the most entertaining of Pauls since United States, or for the real Solo stuff since Space Ship...
Hope they do a Europe tour with Freddie and Tony that would be awesome...

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:41 am
Superhero

Gave it a listen. There are some OK tunes in there but basically it's more of the blues thing. And when it's not... It still lacks that true, pure PG soul. I think Paul is giving himself a lot more leeway nowadays to the point where his solos become... sloppy... But hey, it's the "blues thing", isn't it?

Honestly, the best parts of the songs are when Freddie or Tony are singing. "Gonna Make You Love Me" is such a stupidly simple song but it's one of the most listenable on the album just because Freddie is singing it and he sounds AWESOME (and the only one where he has lead vocals I think). If Freddie was singing most of the songs, it would be a really good album, even though it's Paul's "blues thing" and we all know it's just not what he excels in but really wants to do nowadays.

Edit:

Ok, gave it honest 2nd try. I'll revoke my comment about Paul's sloppy playing because that obviously must have been someone else playing the similar sort of licks and I went "Paul? What the hell are you doing?". Also, the vocals are not as jarring now. Don't get me wrong, I love Paul's singing on his old solo stuff, but I think I prefer when he "goes" for it and strains just that tiny bit, on songs like "I'm not afraid of the police" instead of just staying in his comfort zone. So it's a solid blues album with bits of rock, probably 7/10. Whenever the harmonies come in, they are super rewarding but at the same time they seem to be coming from a totally different style than the song is in, it's pretty cool.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

You could say the album has grown on me immensely :D

My today's FB post:

Gave PG's "I can destroy" album solid two days of listening. No album recently has made me smile as often as this did.

As far as solo albums with PG on main vocals go, in my opinion "I can destroy" beats "Spaceship One". "I can destroy" has so many songs that are just fun to listen to, whereas "Spaceship One" was sort of lackluster except for maybe 3-4 songs.

Also, the chemistry between Paul, Tony and Freddie is so great!

solid 8/10! with 9-10 being albums like Burning Organ or SFBADR

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

For those who are wondering:

The 1 DVD version isn't too thrilling.

There's also a bunch of that footage without the guitars' monitors, which is quite frustrating.

There are a few cool interviews, but I guess the highlight is "Love We Had", which is an acoustic track.

They are freaking playing and singing those harmonies LIVE. In fact, the whole thing was recorded live. Paul liked the feel of the latest Mr Big albums that Keven Shirley produced, and wanted to go for a live setting on this one as well.

I believe Vibrato was also recorded live, but it was at Paul's home studio. Kevin's studio obviously sounds better - there's a bunch of footage from Joe Bonamassa playing there, since all his albums are recorded there.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:32 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to Freddie -- I don't care for his voice at all. And, I think this album is great.

Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:43 pm
Viking Kong

IT SUCKS !

More seriously though, I've wrapped my mind around the fact that Paul isn't only about Racer X and I've revisited his albums recently.
Even though I like all sorts of non metal stuff, including some of the music Paul has quoted as inspiration, I can't say I'm always a fan of his compositions.

Nevertheless, I can't deny his tremendous talent, and some of the songs on that latest album are pretty nice to listen to.

Naturally, my favorites are the title track and the Ted Nugent cover, and then I have a preference for the upbeat tracks :
-One Woman Too Many
-Gonna Make You Love Me
-I am not the One
-I Will be Remembered (that one isn't so upbeat but it's got this Gary Moore thing going on that is great)

I feel though that a lot of this album is more classic rock and perhaps less daring than what he attempted on Vibrato. Personally now that I think about it I'd prefer hear Paul either play some good melodic hard rock/heavy metal or do more stuff like he did on the album Vibrato, rather than hear him settle for simpler soft rock. So this album sounds to me like a little step backwards from his jazz exploration maybe ?... Or maybe we can see it as a little step back towards rock to gain momentum before his new big leap into a new heavy metal binge era ! (Alright don't be too in a hurry to crush my hopes, I know it's not happening)

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]