View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Whitesnake 1987 Album / John Sykes 
Motorman

Post Whitesnake 1987 Album / John Sykes
I know we talked about Sykes' playing and tone on this album before... But after a couple years of a break I have once again become obsessed with this record.

Don't know if you guys do this yourselves, but I always seem to really get into one of my favorite guitarists/bands for a couple months, then I'll stray onto something else. But I really love the excitement of re-discovering a guitarist that you love so much. I guess absence does make the heart grow fonder..

Anyways, It has always baffled me that Sykes doesn't get near the type of credit or recognition he deserves by the guitar playing / hard rock masses. IMO, the 1987 Whitesnake album should at least be in the top 10 of all time influential guitar albums. I STILL get chills everytime I hear the roaring intros to songs like "Bad Boys", "Children of the night", and of course, the bowel shaking first few seconds of "Still of the night" just seem to make a statement right out of the gate that this is some serious playing and unearthly tone.

I wonder how things would have been different for John had he not been booted from the Snake immediately after recording. I think that if he would have been in those HUGELY successful music videos instead of Adrian Vandenberg and Vivian campbell (Who are also amazing) playing air guitar... John may have gotten alot more notoriety.

Tue May 28, 2013 6:42 am
Viking Kong

Post Re: Whitesnake 1987 Album / John Sykes
I think Whitesnake would have still broke big in the US with that self-titled album if Sykes would have stayed. The band was picking up momentum with their previous album Slide It In (most everyone I knew back then loved that album when it came out, including me), so I think their day was certainly coming (assuming they would have stuck with the same formula of flashy videos, flashy clothes, flashy hair, etc with Sykes).

However a lot of people back then weren’t aware that John Sykes played on that 1987 album, most assumed from the videos that Vivian Campbell, Adrian Vandenberg, Tommy Aldridge, and Rudy Sarzo were the ones who played on it, so because of that Whitesnake became a sort of an 80s metal super group which totally helped to push their fame further in the U.S. and helped to draw more attention to that album when it was released.

Like I said, I think they would have still been successful if Sykes stayed, they just would have had to work a little harder to achieve the same level fame.

Tue May 28, 2013 4:07 pm
Viking Kong

John Who ??? :lol:

Shit I remember having to buy tix for a Motley Crue gig just because I wanted to see Whitesnake OPEN for them.... Now that was just WRONG !!!

Tue May 28, 2013 8:32 pm
Viking Kong

Xelatunes wrote:
Shit I remember having to buy tix for a Motley Crue gig just because I wanted to see Whitesnake OPEN for them.... Now that was just WRONG !!!

I bought tix for a Crue gig so I could see Guns n' Roses open for them. So you aren't alone. :wink:

Wed May 29, 2013 3:08 pm
Dr. X

i will see whitesnake this sunday at hirock festival, loreley.
i think 1987 is a really good album but i prefer- considering john sykes- the thin lizzy record" thunder and lightning"- better songs and even better guitar solos.
for whitesnake on the other hand i prefer the early stuff, think their best album is "ready and willing".

Thu May 30, 2013 4:14 am
Motorman

Quote:
Milan: "i think 1987 is a really good album but i prefer- considering john sykes- the thin lizzy record" thunder and lightning"- better songs and even better guitar solos.
for whitesnake on the other hand i prefer the early stuff, think their best album is "ready and willing".

Really? Now I am a HUGE Thin Lizzy fan... Thunder & Lightning really showcased a young John Sykes... You can just hear him practically kicking the band in the ass the entire time and making them heavier.. But Phil, Scott and the rest of the guys were just completely exhausted, burnt out, and totally consumed by heroin addiction. For me, the guitar solos he plays on the title track should be required listening for any young guitarist who wants to be great. Very rare that you hear such fast and technical guitar playing that has as much melodic weight as this.

My point, is that I think of the Whitesnake record as John Sykes reaching his guitar playing / song writing peak. Everything just seemed to come together perfectly.. And you just can't deny that Coverdale/Sykes is one of those musical pairings that is just once in a lifetime..

I have read alot of different quotes / interviews from Coverdale, and other guys in the band and I get the impression that John is quite the control freak. And he supposedly tried to take over the lead singer spot after Coverdale had damaged his vocal cords and couldn't sing for nearly a year during the recording of the album. Obviously, seeing the revolving door of players that Whitesnake has seen, the band is David's baby and he wants full control... It's his band so he has every right. But you can understand why they butted heads.

At least they captured a moment in time and created a hard rock masterpiece that still sounds amazing.

Thu May 30, 2013 5:19 am
Viking Kong

DirtySanchez wrote:
I have read alot of different quotes / interviews from Coverdale, and other guys in the band and I get the impression that John is quite the control freak.

In Rudy Sarzo's book 'Off the Rails', (written about his time spent playing in Ozzy’s band with Randy Rhoads), he discusses about the time when they were in search of a replacement for Brad Gillis (due to Brad’s decision to leave the band so he could play with Night Ranger full time). Rudy touched briefly on the various players who were up for that spot that they met with and tried out… including John Sykes (this was around John’s Tygers of Pan Tang days). According to Rudy, Ozzy and Sharon were very impressed with John’s playing and were ready to have him join the band… that was until John and his manager gave them his list of demands that were completely unreasonable. Rudy didn’t get into what the actual specifics of those unreasonable demands were… he just said that once they received them... John was out!

Thu May 30, 2013 4:59 pm
Dr. X

Maybe its a bit off topic BUT the Whitesnake show i saw yesterday in Loreley was absolutely mind blowing.
Perhaps Coverdale was the best Frontman i ever saw- he is so entertaining.
Journey on the other Hand were boring.

Also Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach are really good live.
Hope you´ll get the chance to see them.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:26 pm
Viking Kong

Its a DAMN TRAVESTY how Reb is SOOOO UNDER-used in Whitesnake... As good as Doug Aldrich is, Reb SMOKES him (IMHO).... He needs a much larger role... He's waaay too talented to just play rhythm most of the time with an occasional solo here or there.... :chew:

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:50 am
Dr. X

Reb had a long solo spot and he played like 40 % of the solos. A friend of mine said something like " the show was cool but couldnt they reduce the guitar stuff and play 2 or 3 songs more" for me it was great and i think coverdale needs a few breaks for his voice but for usual "rock fans" they played a lot of stunt guitar :- )

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:24 am
Godzilla

Xelatunes wrote:
Its a DAMN TRAVESTY how Reb is SOOOO UNDER-used in Whitesnake... As good as Doug Aldrich is, Reb SMOKES him (IMHO).... He needs a much larger role... He's waaay too talented to just play rhythm most of the time with an occasional solo here or there.... :chew:

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:35 pm
Viking Kong

CAN I GET A MUTHAFUCKEN AMEN ?!?!?!

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:58 pm
Godzilla

I'm a lot more familiar with John Sykes in Whitesnake, Blue Murder, and a band called Badlands (not the Badlands Jake E. Lee was in- this band is sometimes referred to as John Sloman's Badlands) than in Thin Lizzy.

-

I'm convinced that the people who put down Reb Beach and the rest of Winger don't know a damn thing about music.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 pm
Viking Kong

Yeah its all fucking Stuart's fault !!! :evil:

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:27 pm
Viking Kong

Xelatunes wrote:
Yeah its all fucking Stuart's fault !!! :evil:

Kudos for that killer reference, bro!! Image :P

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:08 pm
Motorman

Quote:
In Rudy Sarzo's book 'Off the Rails', (written about his time spent playing in Ozzy’s band with Randy Rhoads), he discusses about the time when they were in search of a replacement for Brad Gillis (due to Brad’s decision to leave the band so he could play with Night Ranger full time). Rudy touched briefly on the various players who were up for that spot that they met with and tried out… including John Sykes (this was around John’s Tygers of Pan Tang days). According to Rudy, Ozzy and Sharon were very impressed with John’s playing and were ready to have him join the band… that was until John and his manager gave them his list of demands that were completely unreasonable. Rudy didn’t get into what the actual specifics of those unreasonable demands were… he just said that once they received them... John was out!

Interesting stuff bro..

I remember reading that when Coverdale saw John Sykes play for the first time, he immediately tried to get him to join Whitesnake.. And supposedly John turned it down a couple more times because he wanted to keep playing with Phil Lynott.

Then around '84 I believe, Coverdale made Sykes an offer that was evidently too good to pass up.... Well, John said he got Lynott's blessing and said yes... But on one condition.. Sykes did not want to make straight up blues style music.. He wanted to take Whitesnake in a much heavier, hard rock/metal type direction.

On johnsykes.com, John explains that he used his famous Black Les Paul Custom for most of the '87 album, through a small army of Mesa Coliseum 100 watt heads that were modified to put out 200 watts.. He turned them up all the way during most of the recording.. Which is why he has such a huge tone. He was blowing up tubes and having them replaced almost on a daily basis.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]