View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Jason Newsted "saved" Metallica..... 
Viking Kong

Post Jason Newsted "saved" Metallica.....
On whether he is trying to prove he isn't a has-been:

Jason: "The only difference about that deal is I chose to do what I did. I made all the decisions. I did it my way, okay? It wasn't a thing like, 'DOKKEN is no longer any good because they suck. They're has-been,' or 'So and so band player is no good anymore because they can't play for shit,' or 'So and so is no good anymore because he got kicked out of the band for doing too much heroin,' or whatever. That's a has-been. I chose my path, what I wanted to do. I made my own decisions throughout my own life. Therefore, I was successful the whole time. I played in METALLICA for 15 years, and finished that 12 years ago. That was, that once was. That was good, but I have a whole new thing now. I am.

"I've always been, so has-been? Yeah. I have been in FLOTSAM, I have been in ECHOBRAIN, I have been in OZZY [OSBOURNE], I have been in VOIVOD, and I have been in METALLICA. [laughs] Yes I have, and now I'm in this band, and I'm still alive. It doesn't bother me even one little bit about any of those kinds of comments, and please don't feel bad about saying anything like that. I'm gonna tell you, dude: life is pretty good. If I had stayed in METALLICA, METALLICA would no longer be alive. It would no longer be a band. People need to… There's one thing… I haven't said this to anybody else, but I'll say it to you. I saved METALLICA when I entered their band, and I saved them when I left their band. Because I did both of those things, they're still around. I didn't do it by myself, so don't take it like that. It wasn't single-handed, or nothing. I'm not taking credit like that."

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm
Search Button God!

Post Re: Jason Newsted "saved" Metallica.....
Does anyone still care?

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:39 pm
Viking Kong

Yeap.

I don't understand how grown up musician can still babble like children.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:42 am
Viking Kong

We see a LOT of that going around...

maybe those guys didn't mature when they were supposed to, because they were still in their 30's and partying like 18 year olds.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:56 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I think I kind of get what he means when he says that he “saved Metallica” by joining… what I think he might be trying to say is that the band was so devastated by Cliff’s death that if they didn’t get a new bass player ASAP and get back on the road, in the studio, etc that the band would have broken up (the same philosophy that Sharon had for Ozzy after Randy Rhoads died, she made them back on the road immediately with Bernie Torme’ on guitar, and back into their routine otherwise they would have fallen apart beyond repair)

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:21 pm
Motorman

Also keep in mind that sometimes these things people say are only in response to the questions they're being asked.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 pm
Viking Kong

LoQ wrote:
I think I kind of get what he means when he says that he “saved Metallica” by joining… what I think he might be trying to say is that the band was so devastated by Cliff’s death that if they didn’t get a new bass player ASAP and get back on the road, in the studio, etc that the band would have broken up (the same philosophy that Sharon had for Ozzy after Randy Rhoads died, she made them back on the road immediately with Bernie Torme’ on guitar, and back into their routine otherwise they would have fallen apart beyond repair)

Right. The band needed a change after Cliff's death, and they needed a change just before Jason's departure. Ultimately, both transactions were beneficial to the band. What a lot of people don't realize is that Jason had the unenviable task of joining Metallica after the death of one of metal's most venerated bass players. Not only did Jason endure years of constant ribbing and criticism, but he was always reminded by fans and the media that he didn't measure up to his predecessor. Yet, he stuck around for fifteen years, through all of the style changes and inner tension. He wrote and recorded tracks for the band's best-selling album to date.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm
Godzilla

Ryan wrote:
Not only did Jason endure years of constant ribbing and criticism, but he was always reminded by fans and the media that he didn't measure up to his predecessor.

I remember an interview where Jason's former Metallica bandmates were going on and on about how Robert Trujillo is a much better bassist than him.

I also remember an interview where Jason was talking about how glad he was to no longer be in Metallica.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:13 am
Search Button God!

Gringo300 wrote:
I remember an interview where Jason's former Metallica bandmates were going on and on about how Robert Trujillo is a much better bassist than him.

Rob is also a better guitar player than Kirk. Just sayin'.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]