View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Thought you guys might be interested in this 
Dr. X

Post Re: Thought you guys might be interested in this
That isn't the point of this thread.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:40 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Yyyeahhh I kinda wanted to stray away from the whole topic and should've moderated it better. I thought I was being subtle about the whole HEY GUYS WE SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT HOW MUCH THE GUITAR IS OKAY

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:34 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Ah what a quality instrument!! Congratulations frankenstone!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:02 pm
God Of The Sun

I have to back up people talking about how much it was - it's REALLY important that we keep a record of how much all of these guitars are worth, both public PGMs and Pauls collection. There has been a drought on the market recently so it's been hard for us to price guitars when buying and selling.

Whats the problem with people wondering how much it was? And in their defence they found the auction and you came in and told them what you actually bid without fees. Double standards much?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

MissMisstreater wrote:
I have to back up people talking about how much it was - it's REALLY important that we keep a record of how much all of these guitars are worth, both public PGMs and Pauls collection. There has been a drought on the market recently so it's been hard for us to price guitars when buying and selling.

Whats the problem with people wondering how much it was? And in their defence they found the auction and you came in and told them what you actually bid without fees. Double standards much?

I'm partial to the idea that we should keep a record of how much the guitars are worth. I know we are a small community and the people who would pay that much for his original PGMs would have to be hardcore fans. It's a nice idea because then we wouldn't be tricked in some prices ($9000 for a $5000 guitar?) and at the same time it's almost like I'm nudging legit guitar fans who just want the guitar and have no plans of reselling. I don't know where to side to be honest.

To be fair, black album initially asked for the price, felt that it was a little awkward and just asked an estimate. Frankenstone answered, and that was it. The Google thing was brought up and I honestly felt like interfering but figured people here would know it enough so I just mentioned that it's not a good idea. Next you know, the actual link was posted. frankenstone revealed his price only because the actual link is already there, he didn't put the price in first before he told people to stop talking about it.

In the end, though, black album said $$$ talks and that kind of came out as disrespectful. frankenstone didn't wanna talk about the price, yet people focused on that.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:56 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Pao wrote:
MissMisstreater wrote:

I'm partial to the idea that we should keep a record of how much the guitars are worth. I know we are a small community and the people who would pay that much for his original PGMs would have to be hardcore fans. It's a nice idea because then we wouldn't be tricked in some prices ($9000 for a $5000 guitar?) and at the same time it's almost like I'm nudging legit guitar fans who just want the guitar and have no plans of reselling. I don't know where to side to be honest.

I agree on the lines of legit fans who have no plans to sell. Bottom line, it's none of our business how much somebody pays for their instruments.
And if they want to sell them for a couple hundred more than what they paid for them. Let em, it's their right as a seller to name a price. People should stop being so nosy of that private information.

NOW - Back on Topic. frankenstone, how does it play? Like Superheroes i hope :)

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:19 pm
Dr. X

MissMisstreater wrote:

Go back and read the thread. No double standard. It was a public auction so I don't have any reason for people not to know what I paid. That said, I still don't understand the focus on that detail.

That said, I don't think what I paid is what the guitar is worth. Had the auction been on eBay, with a much wider audience, I have no doubt it would've gone for much more. I actually think I got a very good deal and was expecting to pay a lot more. Plus, not all of Paul's guitars are worth the same to all people. Do you really think his orange PGM would fetch the same as one of his Firemen? I think it would go for much more. So these are really one-offs and not indicative of the market.

Last edited by frankenstone on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:57 pm
Dr. X

Magus wrote:

I agree on the lines of legit fans who have no plans to sell. Bottom line, it's none of our business how much somebody pays for their instruments.
And if they want to sell them for a couple hundred more than what they paid for them. Let em, it's their right as a seller to name a price. People should stop being so nosy of that private information.

NOW - Back on Topic. frankenstone, how does it play? Like Superheroes i hope :)

It plays really well. It has 10s on it right now, probably because Paul used to use it tuned down to Eb or D. The neck is actually a production 800 neck from Japan. I'm not sure if the body is LACS, but my guess is that it's also from Japan and that they used the template from a PGM500, hence the f-hole shaped electronics cover and the angled input jack. Also, it's a 2-piece body and all the other 800s I've seen are 3-pieces. My other 800 is a 3-piece.

Tonally, it sounds just a bit less bright than my other 800, although I recently switched out the Tone Zones on that one for Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs (which are fantastic).

It's also amazingly clean for a guitar that Paul used so much on the road. Aside from some dings and chips along the edges in the clearcoat, it's basically in perfect shape. There's very little fret wear, so it might have had a fret dress at some point. I'll have to ask Paul if he remembers.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:10 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

frankenstone wrote:
It plays really well. It has 10s on it right now, probably because Paul used to use it tuned down to Eb or D. The neck is actually a production 800 neck from Japan. I'm not sure if the body is LACS, but my guess is that it's also from Japan and that they used the template from a PGM500, hence the f-hole shaped electronics cover and the angled input jack. Also, it's a 2-piece body and all the other 800s I've seen are 3-pieces. My other 800 is a 3-piece.

Tonally, it sounds just a bit less bright than my other 800, although I recently switched out the Tone Zones on that one for Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs (which are fantastic).

It's also amazingly clean for a guitar that Paul used so much on the road. Aside from some dings and chips along the edges in the clearcoat, it's basically in perfect shape. There's very little fret wear, so it might have had a fret dress at some point. I'll have to ask Paul if he remembers.

That's Awesome!!! Paul must have seriously taken care of it while on the road. That things been everywhere..

Interesting, The 36th Anniv. has peaked my interest for one of my Les Pauls. Does it sound a lot like a PAF-Pro? Or is it more along the lines of a 50's humbucker.

Been rocking the Air Classics in my 2630 - Mind blowing pickup. Sorry to get a bit off-topic here. That's one hell of a sick guitar with history! Don't get rid of it man!!!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:12 pm
Dr. X

I think the 36th Annis are similar to the PAF-Pros, although I can't really give you an apples-to-apples comparison. All my PAF-Pro guitars are basswood or mahogany, which both tend to be warmer than ash. So that might account for some of the difference I hear between my 800 with the 36th Annis and my 301 with PAF-Pros. At least, my 301 sounds warmer to me than my 800.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:24 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

frankenstone wrote:
I think the 36th Annis are similar to the PAF-Pros, although I can't really give you an apples-to-apples comparison. All my PAF-Pro guitars are basswood or mahogany, which both tend to be warmer than ash. So that might account for some of the difference I hear between my 800 with the 36th Annis and my 301 with PAF-Pros. At least, my 301 sounds warmer to me than my 800.

Right, Different tone woods will produce different sounds. Thanks for your opinion.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 pm
Motorman

Goddamnit I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. I'll just say I'm insanely jealous of this guitar and now I'll see myself out.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:08 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

black album wrote:
Goddamnit I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. I'll just say I'm insanely jealous of this guitar and now I'll see myself out.

Haha, Pretty sure there's a lot of folks here who are a bit jealous.
Just to clarify.. - My post a few up ^ voicing my view was in no way directed to any users on this board. It was just a general statement/opinion on the off-topic.

Now i think we can all agree..This is one Beautiful, Legendary Guitar!!!

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:41 pm
Search Button God!

:hug:

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2