View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 PGM800 & Snowball of Doom Q's? 
Promises to use Search button

Post PGM800 & Snowball of Doom Q's?
I really love the snowball of doom tone with this guitar, and i also found out its the same guitar used to record a good portion of Superheros. I already have an ibanez 1570 prestige with a PAF in the neck and i love the gilbert tone.

A couple of questions though.

How hard is it to find one of these? Does the neck come wired parallel? When Paul played the guitar during the live show, does anyone know what bridge pickup was used? It does not really sound like a PAF bridge but i very well could be wrong.

Thanks dudes!

PS i could not log into my old username for some reason, it said it did not exist but also wouldnt let me use the email to re-register :(

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:41 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: PGM800 & Snowball of Doom Q's?
Its been a while since ive watched SOD. Was it a production 800 or the original guitar the 800 is based off which was made of plywood?

The 800 has tone zones in the neck and bridge. Im pretty sure the wiring is the standard HSH wiring for RG's and PGM's at the time. Ill pull out my 800 later to verify

With switch positions 1-5 (1 neck pickup only, 5 bridge pickup only)

1 neck HB
2 bottom coil neck HB, middle single coil
3 middle single coil
4 middle single coil, Top coil bridge HB
5 Bridge pickup

800's come up for sale every once and a while. They are on the rarer side, but can be found. I love mine.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:19 am
Promises to use Search button

It looked like a production PGM800, i know the original has plywood glued to the front and back. This one did not look like it was a parts build at all.

Tonezones neck and bridge? Wow interesting. ibanez wiki shows it having PAF's neck and bridge, did paul put the TZ's in them himself or did they come that way and ibanez wiki is wrong?

Yeah i hope i can eventually find one. I really love the tone. a PGM301 and a PGM800 are on my crosshairs. I shoot myself in the foot for not grabbing a PGM301 a few years ago. Just killer guitars imo

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:30 am
Viking Kong

PAF Pro's are in the 100, 200, 300, 301

The 800's come stock with 2 tone zones, so do the 10th, and 90th anniversary models.

There is a PGM models thread stickied near the top of our PGM guitar talk board. It has all the specs on all the models The info there is accurate.

Personally I prefer the tone of the Tone zone in my 500, 800, and 10th to the PAF pro in my 200 and 300. I find the PAF pro a little thin sounding in some guitars. I like PAF style pickups in general. I like the Gibson classic 57's in my Gibson SG, and the Ibanez Super 58's in my PGM 900.

I pulled out my 800 and verified the wiring is the same as I posted above.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]