View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Going to see Paul Gilbert in Nancy 
Viking Kong

Post Going to see Paul Gilbert in Nancy
Alright, you all know I live in Nancy, at least those who have been here long enough and have been paying attention to all my babbling.
Paul is playing in my city.

I'll go to the show. I'll do my duty to beg for a Racer X album, though I'll do it politely and without insisting too much since I'm starting to feel we're beating a dead horse. I'll also hope to hear whatever's left from the glorious Racer X days in Paul's repertoire. And I'll try to get my copies of Second Heat and Live : Extreme Volume signed, after all, no matter what direction Paul has taken in his career, he is still with Bruce one of the men who put the shred on these records, and I still want his signature.

If anyone wants me to ask, say, or do something that doesn't involve putting a gun to his head and demanding a new Racer X album, since I'm already going to do that, lemme know !

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:52 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Re: Going to see Paul Gilbert in Nancy
Ask him to play more string skipping solos!! I all his string skipping stuff he's done, especially the kind of stuff he used to play back in the IR 1 DVD and live.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:08 pm
Viking Kong

If you could ask him if there's plans for a Toronto show if it hasn't been posted by the time the date comes, that'd be wonderful.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:36 am
Viking Kong

If you could ask him if there's plans for a Toronto show if it hasn't been posted by the time the date comes, that'd be wonderful.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:36 am
Dr. X

Maybe ask him what he is thinking about taking jeff as a drummer with him on the next tour and let him sing a few racerx songs... i dont think that this will ever happen cause then they could do a racer x tour as well , but maybe this is not so super impossible.. and with a chance like 1:100000000 paul answers " hey cool idea i never thought about that !we just never made something because scott is with priest and juan with mars volta"

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:08 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Show him your penis. Then ask him to play Scit Scat Wah.

Also, get me a signature :D

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:04 am
Dr. X

Pao wrote:
Show him your penis.

... if that helps.. DO IT !

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:59 am
Viking Kong

Honestly, in my recent student years, I've actually done a couple of outrageous things, and one of them was running down the street stark naked. I find the idea of running stark naked on the stage with Paul and asking him to play Skit Skat Wah quite funny, but I think I'll pass this time ;) .

I'll try to ask the questions though !

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:03 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Acid Wire wrote:
Honestly, in my recent student years, I've actually done a couple of outrageous things, and one of them was running down the street stark naked. I find the idea of running stark naked on the stage with Paul and asking him to play Skit Skat Wah quite funny, but I think I'll pass this time ;) .

Wow. I didn't know you were chicken. :twisted:

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:26 am
Viking Kong

Pao wrote:
Acid Wire wrote:

Wow. I didn't know you were chicken. :twisted:

I'll do it if Jeff Martin says it's ok. :D

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:29 pm
Viking Kong

Feedback from the show :

Setlist (reconstructed) :

(I forgot the first song)
Manic Depression - Jimi Hendrix
You Don't Love Me Baby - Magic Sam
Games Without Frontiers - Peter Gabriel
(I forgot the title) - Genesis
You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget - Yngwie Malmsteen
Living For The City - Stevie Wonder
Stay With Me - The Faces
Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh
Red House - Jimi Hendrix

--------------------------------------------------------------

Personal review :

I was very happy to hear Paul play, and for completely free at the MAI, even though I'm not a student at that school. The band consisted of Paul and his wife Emi, and a bass player and a drummer who were both teachers at the MAI. The bass player also served duties as translator for Paul Gilbert to convey the informations given by Paul in french. He sucked. I'm lucky english is a language I understand because I doubt everyone in the audience understood all of what Paul said.

As you can see with the setlist, I was very sad nothing from the Racer X repertoire was played. Then again, the band had two teachers from the MAI, maybe they couldn't arrange to rehearse complex Racer X stuff with Paul, so they had to stick to playing famous songs from various famous musicians. The rendition of Yngwie Malmsteen's song was quite alright, and there was some tasty shred here and there which sounded sweet.

Regarding Paul's playing : the way he handles chords and arpeggios on a technical and theoretical point of view is quite impressive. I remember the way he changed the bass note of certain chords to create interesting ones such as the C major seventh flat 5, if I remember correctly. On the other hand, I'm still not convinced with Paul's concept of rythmn. The way he seems to want rythmn in absolutely everything he plays outlines even more his licks and the way he moves from one lick to the next. I can now clearly hear the beginning and end of every lick and it sounds a lot more robotic and broken in sequences, while I used to feel Paul's playing was a kind of flow, that doesn't have breaks or stops within itself. I remember someone from the audience I met later on in a bar somewhat agreed with me, so I'm thinking I'm maybe not the only one to feel that way... or maybe the dude was just politely agreeing with me in the bar, I don't know.

My conclusion on Paul's playing : I would love to have a new Racer X album, however I wonder if Paul's new love for rythmn is what is deterring him from making it happen. Does playing more rythmically exclude writing Racer X material ? I don't know, maybe he just doesn't like metal anymore I guess, maybe he is preserving his hearing. Can't Racer X be played a little less loud ? Not all metal musicians go deaf. I'm personally very sad to think that Racer X is done, I really hope there will be at least one world tour before putting the band to sleep.

Finally : I couldn't ask any questions. Paul was busy, many people wanted autographs, the crew proceeded to this very methodically and industrially. Someone steps in, takes a picture, gets his autograph, walks out, wash, rince, repeat. I was happy to get my Paul Gilbert autograph on my Racer X CDs, but I was kind of disappointed that it had to be done in such a methodical manner. It took away the human aspect of the whole thing. I guess Paul has many fans and he can't spend special time for each and everyone, but I don't know... it felt strange, it kind of takes away the whole point of getting an autograph.

Anyway, it was a good show, the band sounded great, there were cool jams, just sad Racer X seems like an old memory and that meeting with the fans seems like a task that has to be handled like a household chore.

edit : typos, and bad english ><

Last edited by Acid Wire on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:58 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

ctrl + F - penis

i am disappoint :(

Glad you had fun, though.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:19 pm
Superhero

Jeez, that setlist :/

I'm starting to lose my faith - what happened :(

Look at this awesome setlist from back in the day:

Quote:
Get Out of My Yard
Hurry Up
The Curse of Castle Dragon
Rusty Old Boat
My Teeth Are a Drum Set
Eruption
(Van Halen cover)
Space Ship One
Scarified
(Racer X song)
To Be With You
(Mr. Big song)
Down to Mexico
Technical Difficulties
(Racer X song)
Green-Tinted Sixties Mind
(Mr. Big song)
Twelve Twelve
Nothing But Love
(Mr. Big song)
Addicted to that rush
(Mr. Big song)
Mount Fuji Christmas
Interaction
I Like Rock
My Religion
Three E's for Edward
I'm Not Afraid Of The Police
Foxy Lady
(The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
You Kids

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:32 pm
Motorman

Almost identical to the set from when I caught him on the GOOMY tour. I have a bootleg of that exact setlist. Sooooooooo goooooooooooooood.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:45 pm
Search Button God!

Jerhova wrote:
Almost identical to the set from when I caught him on the GOOMY tour. I have a bootleg of that exact setlist. Sooooooooo goooooooooooooood.

Bootleg? I have the actual setlist hanging on my wall :D

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:33 pm
Viking Kong

Well, it was his solo TOUR, not a clinic/workshop tour. It's two different things.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:20 am
Profile YIM
Search Button God!

Sir Robin wrote:
Well, it was his solo TOUR, not a clinic/workshop tour. It's two different things.

This was a clinic too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQaPf10seUo

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:07 am
Viking Kong

Yeah... Well, Paul has said that he doesn't want to play clinics with CDs from his music anymore. Although I would love to see him blast through Superheroes and Scarified, I understand him.

Just think about it, as if you were a musician doing a clinic: would you rather play with a CD on the background or with a real band, with real people?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:32 pm
Profile YIM
Motorman

Lamer wrote:
Jerhova wrote:

Bootleg? I have the actual setlist hanging on my wall :D

Ah, I meant audio. But hot damn. 2 boxes of raisins sound fair?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:43 pm
Viking Kong

Talking about his clinics...

Check out that lick at around 1:30 in this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vh-eKtK2SY

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:50 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next