View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Songs to get into faster playing? 
Dr. X

Post Songs to get into faster playing?
Hey guys!

I have a question regarding incorporating fast passages into my playing. I have worked on technique a lot, but I have trouble actually applying my technique to music. I am figuring that the best way to learn to incorporate this stuff is by learning songs that have faster stuff in the solos. I was wondering if anyone could give me a few songs that can introduce faster soloing passages, so I can work on this. What songs did you start with faster stuff? What did you progress to? Any and all answers welcome. Thanks guys!!!

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:34 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post Re: Songs to get into faster playing?
Can't go wrong with Dream Theater. Also try stuff from Paul's solo albums

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:05 am
Dr. X

Right on bro. Thanks for the reply. I was thinking more in terms of introducing faster passages. Where did you start?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:10 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I'm confused I thought DT had a bunch of fast passages. I don't think I understand you completely. Do you have an example of what you mean by that?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:58 am
Dr. X

They do have a ton of faster passages. I would just like to start with some songs that are more basic. I am having a hard time communicating my idea haha. I am trying to incorporate fast passages in my solos. I was wondering where to start learning solos that have faster passages, starting from more basic things to complex. Where is the most basic place to start?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:43 am
Viking Kong

Maybe ou should try looking into some of Steve Morse's solo records. He plays fast, but not all the time.

Take a look at his solo band debut, "The Introduction".

Also, if you want a solo that builds in from slow to fast, go take a look at "La Villa Strangiato" by Rush. Alex Lifeson isn't the cleanest player, but you'll get the idea.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:30 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

I was wondering where to start learning solos that have faster passages

maybe the later thin lizzy stuff with john sykes .. cool solos with great melodys try something from their thunder and lightning stuff.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:27 pm
God Of The Sun

zakk wylde era Ozzy

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Depending on how fast you want to play:

-Pick a lick or song you want to learn.

-Learn it and practice it slowly until you have it down with no mistakes. Be sure to mind your fingering and picking to see if you can figure out a way to make it more efficient.

-Now practice it at a slightly faster speed, again until you have it down with no mistakes. See if the fingering and picking technique still holds up at this faster pace.

-Take another step up in speed and repeat the process until you reach the desired speed of the lick.

It could take weeks, months, or years to get there but eventually you will if you don't quit.

This is the way I was taught. There are some people who are simply naturally gifted and can jump into faster playing quite easily but for most poor schmucks (like me) it takes work.

One of my speed workouts right now is "Technical Difficulties." My alternate picking sucks so little by little I've been trying to work on those crazy-fast licks like the descending 3nps scale pattern around :30 into the song (repeated again at the end of the 2nd "verse." I'm getting better at it slooooooooowly even though my brain keeps telling me to just play it as a single picked note and 2 pull-offs.

I've been using the backing track to practice over and have that slowed down to 84% right now as I work my way up. So you can see I still have a long way to go. My hands and fingers just don't want to move that fast.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:54 pm
Motorman

Try playing over Deep Purple's Lazy. Thats a tune you can really rip into, but you have to keep it classy.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:10 am
Motorman

Try playing over Deep Purple's Lazy. Thats a tune you can really rip into, but you have to keep it classy.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:10 am
Dr. X

What were the songs or solos that got you into faster playing?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:49 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Well in order from since I was a kid:

- alternative stuff (Foo Fighters etc)
- thrash stuff but riffs only (Metallica, Slayer)
- progressive (mostly Dream Theater but then got training enough to play the solos of trash songs)
- then into the vast world of other prog metal and other technical things
- solo artists (Paul Gilbert/Racer X, Jason Becker, blah)
- more metal/technical stuff
- legato oriented players (this was after I got tendinitis on my left wrist)
- because of the technique overhaul and because I started reading up on theory, I'm where I am now.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:31 am
Motorman

I listened to Technical Difficulties after thinking I was a beast because I could play basically everything Metallica song and thought, "fuaaark, I want to be able to play guitar like that." Couple of years later and I'm still not Paul Gilbert yet.

I thought this guitar shit was supposed to be easy?! :S

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:20 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

meticadpa wrote:
I listened to Technical Difficulties after thinking I was a beast because I could play basically everything Metallica song and thought, "fuaaark, I want to be able to play guitar like that." Couple of years later and I'm still not Paul Gilbert yet.

I thought this guitar shit was supposed to be easy?! :S

Well to be honest, even at the peak of my "technical" phase (all the prog I could learn plus speed picking hell and metronomes blah blah), my picking was never the best. I think the reason why I leaned towards legato is cause of it. I mean I can pick but I could never play songs that involved intricate picking, especially those that involve changing speeds mid-way (Scarified, Technical Difficulties).

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:56 am
Viking Kong

Besides going back and learning solos from guys like Randy, Jake E Lee, Zakk, Stevie Ray, Gilbert, and etc...Transcription is definitely key to knowing where to place a lick, and what kind of licks feel good ad libbed. I'd definitely recommend anything in the Ozzy Osbourne Discography, a lot of stuff there that is intermediate to advanced levels of ripping. Van Halen is really great to pull from. Some AC/DC solos for great rock blues licks, some Stevie Ray for some hyper blues, and some Robben Ford for some sophistication (if you know some theory). And besides just listening and transcribing...

Learn theory, practice your scales, know the neck, all of it to a metronome, learn how to subdivide properly, and you'll be able to blaze over any song you wish! (Don't forget chords too!)

I think a misconception of "shred" or rock guys like Paul, Satch, Vai, Kotzen, and etc. is that they're all street, which is so far from the truth. They all know their theory (at least a great helping of it), which is why they're able to utilize so many flashy tools/ideas to their advantage. Knowing theory helps you be creative when you improvise, and lets you see and create your own licks. It also helps you see where you're going wrong as far as harmony/melody and time...which is just as important as technique!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:01 am
King Of The Monsters

Bean has a point there.

I would add some Iron Maiden and Judas Priest to the list as well. Specially Maiden (Murray) has some cool legato playing that will add a lot to your technique, and it is fairly easy to play...

Image Image

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]