View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Jam 
Viking Kong

Post Jam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn9rteiAXts

I haven't practiced in about a week. You know that feeling where you know what you want to play but your fingers feel awkward? Yeah. That awkward feeling.

Anyway, hope you like. Guitar is a Carvin DC400 of course, into a Velvet Katana, into a Hot Rod Deluxe.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:35 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: Jam
sounds great, man.

If your hands feel like they can't follow up after a week without practicing, just picture what it is like when you don't touch an instrument for months!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:10 pm
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

Sir Robin wrote:
sounds great, man.

If your hands feel like they can't follow up after a week without practicing, just picture what it is like when you don't touch an instrument for months!

Or when your hand is six weeks in a splint, like mine. Gaaah. Just went to see my surgeon earlier today, we checked the functions of my hand. My wrist and thumb are working jolly good. I advise all of you not to hit your wrist with an axe.

E: I think I gotta say at least something concerning the topic. You have my respects, I have never had the time to even study exotic modes. And I understand you are changing the mode continuously along with the chords. It's something that Friedman did, isn't it?

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

vvaltsu wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:
sounds great, man.

Or when your hand is six weeks in a splint, like mine. Gaaah. Just went to see my surgeon earlier today, we checked the functions of my hand. My wrist and thumb are working jolly good. I advise all of you not to hit your wrist with an axe.

E: I think I gotta say at least something concerning the topic. You have my respects, I have never had the time to even study exotic modes. And I understand you are changing the mode continuously along with the chords. It's something that Friedman did, isn't it?

Ouch! Hope you get better soon dude...

Thanks for checking it out man. Yes, this song does call for the changing of modes with every chord. Someone asked me about it on the comments and this was my reply:

"The chords are as follows: Dbm7, AMaj7, CMaj7, BMaj7, E7sus (I think)

So if you outline the chord changes you'd play, Db dorian, A lydian (Same as Db natural minor/aeolian), C lydian, B lydian, E Mixo."

Most people that don't study music theory don't really know this, but you are changing modes all the time even in "one key/one tonal center" chord progressions. When you play a chord progression like...A minor7 to F Major7 and loop that...People usually just simply play/think A natural minor over the entire thing. BUT, if you look deeper into it you're actually playing 2 "modes"... A aeolian to F Lydian. However it'd be really redundant to say that, since they're the exact same scale (all the same notes)! They're directly related to each other so you just hear one scale. So to some people it's absolutely jarring to hear A Dorian to F lydian even though the difference is only one note (and yes you can do this too over the same progression). Anyway, the way I probably explained it is kind of a stretch to those learned in music theory as well, just making a point that changing modes isn't anything new or complicated. It's just most people aren't used to hearing angular changes.

What is also challenging to hear/play for some people the super imposition of certain arpeggios or pentatonic scales over these chords. I'm willing to bet that a lot of people don't know that you can play 3 different minor pentatonics for most chords. For example...for C major 7, you could play A minor pentatonic, B minor pentatonic, or E minor pentatonic, and all of those scales give a different flavor of C major. B minor over C major is a very lydian sound, while A minor over C major is very Ionian. Playing an E minor pentatonic or Emin7 arp is somewhat in between, and implies more of a C major 9 plus a major 6 chord extension. Pentatonics can be a really cool and easier way to start hearing modes for people, especially all you have to do is shift the position of a shape and it'll sound good (pentatonics have all the right notes all the time).

For the jazz guys, Altered dominant chords are an exception, you can play 1 pentatonic over these.

Anyway, there's a lot of really cool things you can do over a single chord. It's a long process to discover everything you can play over a chord, and then bring it into a song where the tonal center and chords are shifting in angular ways.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:47 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Refried Bean wrote:
vvaltsu wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:
sounds great, man.

Ouch! Hope you get better soon dude...

Thanks for checking it out man. Yes, this song does call for the changing of modes with every chord. Someone asked me about it on the comments and this was my reply:

"The chords are as follows: Dbm7, AMaj7, CMaj7, BMaj7, E7sus (I think)

So if you outline the chord changes you'd play, Db dorian, A lydian (Same as Db natural minor/aeolian), C lydian, B lydian, E Mixo."

Most people that don't study music theory don't really know this, but you are changing modes all the time even in "one key/one tonal center" chord progressions. When you play a chord progression like...A minor7 to F Major7 and loop that...People usually just simply play/think A natural minor over the entire thing. BUT, if you look deeper into it you're actually playing 2 "modes"... A aeolian to F Lydian. However it'd be really redundant to say that, since they're the exact same scale (all the same notes)! They're directly related to each other so you just hear one scale. So to some people it's absolutely jarring to hear A Dorian to F lydian even though the difference is only one note (and yes you can do this too over the same progression). Anyway, the way I probably explained it is kind of a stretch to those learned in music theory as well, just making a point that changing modes isn't anything new or complicated. It's just most people aren't used to hearing angular changes.

What is also challenging to hear/play for some people the super imposition of certain arpeggios or pentatonic scales over these chords. I'm willing to bet that a lot of people don't know that you can play 3 different minor pentatonics for most chords. For example...for C major 7, you could play A minor pentatonic, B minor pentatonic, or E minor pentatonic, and all of those scales give a different flavor of C major. B minor over C major is a very lydian sound, while A minor over C major is very Ionian. Playing an E minor pentatonic or Emin7 arp is somewhat in between, and implies more of a C major 9 plus a major 6 chord extension. Pentatonics can be a really cool and easier way to start hearing modes for people, especially all you have to do is shift the position of a shape and it'll sound good (pentatonics have all the right notes all the time).

For the jazz guys, Altered dominant chords are an exception, you can play 1 pentatonic over these.

Anyway, there's a lot of really cool things you can do over a single chord. It's a long process to discover everything you can play over a chord, and then bring it into a song where the tonal center and chords are shifting in angular ways.

Wow, dude. You really do know your stuff. I have to study that some more, maybe I'll figure out some fancy new things to play.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Thanks! I'm actually not the best at theory, I'm mostly self taught with a lot of things...but I listen a lot and transcribe a whole bunch so it helps.

If you ask Scott Henderson what he plays over B minor, he'll say "Anything BUT B minor!"

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:07 pm
Viking Kong

Refried Bean wrote:
If you ask Scott Henderson what he plays over B minor, he'll say "Anything BUT B minor!"

Ah! Great rule to live by! :D

The vid kicks ass, by the way!
So in that video, you're utilizing all 7 modes at one time or another?
Now I have to go pick 'em all out. :shock:

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:16 am
Viking Kong

No not really. I'm only using about 5 modes, one per chord, maybe sometimes implying certain modes with different uses of pentatonic scales or arpeggios. Using one mode doesn't mean I'd say I'm using 6 other different scales or something. Even if Db Dorian is the same as B Ionian, if I were soloing Db dorian over a Dbmin7 chord you wouldn't call it B Ionian. You'd call it Db dorian because the key center is Db, and you're basing the harmony and intervals off of that Db root. They just have the same notes that's all. I think what I said in the above post might have been really confusing, so maybe disregard it lol.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:24 am
Dr. X

This sounds really good to me !
Most of the time i just listen to metal and rock but now i feel like i have to buy some larry carlton.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:41 am
God Of The Sun

even though that's a Holdsworth tune?

Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

yes indeed 8)

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:31 pm
Motorman

MissMisstreater wrote:

Every post I read of yours you're talking about Holdsworth. :P

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:08 pm
God Of The Sun

hahahaha

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

meticadpa wrote:
MissMisstreater wrote:

Every post I read of yours you're talking about Holdsworth. :P

lol! He can't escape even if wants to... :P

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:49 pm
Viking Kong

Refried Bean wrote:

NOW I'm interested. I've got to go study up on this! :D

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:53 pm
Viking Kong

Check this out Rich, here's a good example of what I'm talking about with the pentatonic stuff (The intro playing is pretty much all pentatonic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJonA57f7Ps

Here's an even better one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_VSjadCiU&feature=related

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:03 pm
Viking Kong

Thanks! Checking them out now.
If those Godin guitars had maple fretboards, I'd probably already have one in my arsenal. Pretty nice guitars.

Yeah, I've seen the Henderson one. Great way of describing it!
Now what you said makes perfect sense to me.

I think I posted a fb link to the Henderson vid.
If I didn't, I should!

Learning all this stuff is freakin' FUN for me! :D

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:59 pm
Motorman

Refried Bean wrote:
Check this out Rich, here's a good example of what I'm talking about with the pentatonic stuff (The intro playing is pretty much all pentatonic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJonA57f7Ps

Here's an even better one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_VSjadCiU&feature=related

Is that Shaggy from Scooby Doo?

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:05 pm
Viking Kong

If Shaggy was an Austrian, cynical, and an avante garde fusion jazz artist

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:30 pm
God Of The Sun

ooooor