View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Sean Pierce's All-Purpose Pedal Thread 
Viking Kong

Post Re: Sean Pierce's All-Purpose Pedal Thread
I never used the Suhr to boost the gain on my amp. I use both as stand alone pedals... I used an Xotic EP booster after the Suhr (kinda like what Allen Hinds did with his AC booster) to smooth out the top end and make the overall sound fatter. I did use the Suhr on it's own, but there wasn't any comparison for me after being boosted with an EP. The Suhr was just very gainy for me and was hard to use. It also seemed to have kind of a scooped mid range which I didn't really like. I like the mid hump that I get from the Barber, and it felt like I was playing through amp gain rather than a stomp. The dynamics just spoke with my fingers a bit better.

The Suhr isn't a bad pedal, in fact, it's really great...just not for me at all. One of my friends used it at a show and I instantly fell in love with what it sounded like. I loved it when I first got it, but after a while got really tired of fighting the tone and tweaking it every time I tried it through a new amp. It was hard for me to feel inspired when I used it. Me and my buddy did A/Bed all the OD/Distortion pedals at the store through a Matchless with the Tone Merchants guys, and everyone concluded that the DD worked best for what I do. Plus it was the cheapest pedal there...

What are you using nowadays for OD/Distortion Sean?

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:59 am
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
To be honest with you Brian most of my distortion these days all comes from the amp.
I've been switching back-and-forth between three pedals for boosting the front end for some "over-the-cliff" distortion: a Fulltone OCD, a Pigtronix Aria Disnortion, and a Zvex Super Duper 2-in-1.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses as stand-alones:

- the OCD is probably the best sounding stand alone distortion pedal. it's very much like how I would want an amp to sound: dynamic, sensitive, and it just sounds REAL.
- the Aria has a 3-band EQ...which the other two don't. That can dramatically alter the sound of the distortion. A midrange heavy distortion is much different than that with a lot of low end (ie...EHX Big Muff)
- the Super Duper is basically two high-impedance boosters. One if a standard Super Hard On and the other has a master volume. When both side are engaged, they cascade into one another. it's a harsh boost when used by itself but in front of an already distorted amp...it's a pure boost with no coloration.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:14 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Thought I'd share this; for anyone who've never tried an EHX POG2 or Micro POG (I just got the latter), do try one when you're able to. Man, I don't know how I've lived my life without it! That's all I guess. Haha! :D

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:07 am
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Well I had an awesome time at the LA Amp Show.

Acquired myself a Suhr Riot and a Dead Air Audio Booster Seat.

The booster seat was free...the best price

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9QhkffKyOI

Made a review for the Velvet Katana, which is a Zendrive clone. Check it yo.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:20 am
Dr. X

I think i'm finally satisfied with my pedalboard, just got the green rhino and i love it more than any overdrive i've ever tried..... sometimes i add a boss dd3 if i'm feeling saucy.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:56 pm
Viking Kong

Ianasauras wrote:
I think i'm finally satisfied with my pedalboard, just got the green rhino and i love it more than any overdrive i've ever tried..... sometimes i add a boss dd3 if i'm feeling saucy.

Nice setup!
What amp is that all going into?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:23 am
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

A peavey valveking 100 into a marshall 1936 2x12. For a cheap tube amp the valveking sounds suprisingly good when you get some new tiubes in there. Hoping to upgrade to a blackstar next year!

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:59 am
Viking Kong

What's that on the left? A Super Hard On?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:52 pm
Godzilla

Awesome! Carl Martin Plexitone with added Pete Thorn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng4peS3MjrY

WANT!

(Also WANT Thorn's chops!)

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:11 pm
Dr. X

Zae wrote:
What's that on the left? A Super Hard On?

Yep, Its a clone made by a guy from another forum. It sound great!

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 pm
Motorman

Just built a BYOC Analog Chorus - cool little thing. :) Does all the chorus tricks very well. Super easy build as well, worked almost straight away. For the money it's a great chorus pedal.
I initially wanted an Analogman Chorus, but it was just too expensive for me atm (would be at least 3 times as much as the BYOC), so I went with this and I'm pretty happy with it.

Fender HH Tele / RG7321 / Gunslinger -> Pitchblack -> BYOC Wah -> DOD FX25B -> Phase100 -> Xotic EP Booster -> Xotic BB Preamp -> Eventide TimeFactor -> Carvin X100B -> Dr.Z Air Brake -> Orange 2x12

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:57 am
Viking Kong

Hey guys. People with EP boosters, how are you setting up the dip switches? Am curious to what settings you prefer

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:40 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Gandalf wrote:
Awesome! Carl Martin Plexitone with added Pete Thorn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng4peS3MjrY

WANT!

(Also WANT Thorn's chops!)

I had one a while ago. It didn't sound very good with a Blackstar HT-5. That might be because I mostly favor amp distortion over pedal distortion.. But it's still the best distortion stompbox I've tried so far. It's a shame I got rid of it before I acquired a decent amp, I bet it would've sounded a whole lot better with my VH100R.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

vvaltsu wrote:
I had one a while ago. It didn't sound very good with a Blackstar HT-5.

nope - its because the ht5 has no headroom and most (if not all) pedals sound dreadful through it.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

MissMisstreater wrote:
vvaltsu wrote:
I had one a while ago. It didn't sound very good with a Blackstar HT-5.

nope - its because the ht5 has no headroom and most (if not all) pedals sound dreadful through it.

It was indeed a horrible amp. The tone was satisfying at first, but when I bought my Laney, I realised how crappy the HT-5 was.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Traded my Suhr Riot for an EP Booster + a lot of cash. I love it!
The EP into a BB Preamp gives me exactly the sound I wanted and could never get from the Riot, and it does amazing things on its own as well.

BB into EP didn't work that well though, at least with the DIP switches set to default.

Fender HH Tele / RG7321 / Gunslinger -> Pitchblack -> BYOC Wah -> DOD FX25B -> Phase100 -> Xotic EP Booster -> Xotic BB Preamp -> Eventide TimeFactor -> Carvin X100B -> Dr.Z Air Brake -> Orange 2x12

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:32 am
God Of The Sun

it wont - it does a different thing

ep into the BB pushes the BB harder, when you roll down the volume it cleans up, the more volume, the more dirt - so you've just melting the pedal to get a mad tone - thats how I run my paisley drive, with a clean boost before it.

BB into the ep will do nothing for your tone, it will take the BB tone and just make it louder - great for cutting through a mix in a band or whatever. I do this with my Ecstasy.

Horses for courses :)

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Wiring done!
The idea was to build a pedalboard that could fit in a regular guitar case
ImageImageImage

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

Well done sir.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next