View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Sweet Shredding from the 70's 
Viking Kong

Post Sweet Shredding from the 70's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s2FpZST7N4&feature=related

REALLY AWESOME 70's album. A must have in my opinion.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:29 am
God Of The Sun

Post Re: Sweet Shredding from the 70's
interesting.... Allan doesn't sound like shit here!

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

You should also check out the album Heavy Machinery if you like this, an early precursor to Alex Argento's EGO album ( was done 1997). Very good one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxWtUlpaorw

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:16 pm
God Of The Sun

had that on CD for years ;)

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

MissMisstreater wrote:
interesting.... Allan doesn't sound like shit here!

Huh?

If Allan ever sounds like "shit", it's still better than you & me, put together on our best day!
:?:
You've GOT to tell us what you meant by that one.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:41 pm
God Of The Sun

I think Allan is the most overrated guitar player of all time - I don't think he sounds better than most of my students on their best days.

Although he has monstrous chops I can't dig his harmony - it's not based on anything that the western ear (or eastern ear for that matter) can understand.

I don't like the fact that hes heralded as a genius, a genius is inttelegent by design, not accident. If I shit on a piece of paper and someone wants to pay £10000000 for it, that doesn't make me a genius. I know too many people that jump on the Allan is a genius bandwagon and it makes me sick - not one of them can sit and listen to him for more than 10 minutes.

Allan is one of those players who you INSTANTLY appear intellectual over if you say you like.

I've transcribed more Allan than I care to remember and it's just full of random nonsense and is full of random bumps and squeaks.

I appreciate that noone would ever stand behind me on this - but to be fair, It's not like I can be accused of not knowing what I'm talking about - I just have a controversial opinion. I will state that I also own almost all of Allan's records.

What I WILL say is (which confirms my previous sentiments) I can't stand Allan Holdsworth records, but Allan playing on tunes that other people write? That's absolutely fine - crazy fucked up outside lines over music that I can tap my foot to, groove on and enjoy. Heavy Machinery is one of my top 10 fusion albums of all time. But Allan Holsworth solo records? They make me feel seasick

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:32 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

AND - the more I mature as a player the more I realise that my voice is rooted in the blues so I dig wacky outside lines but they need to resolve to something that's rooted in my/our culture

This is why Scott Henderson gives me an errection

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

I completely agree. I really don't like Allan Holdsworth's music. I think it's really random and bizarre. If I watch him play, I only do it to be amazed at how good his technique is. But as melodic music, I really dislike it.

I also hate Frank Zappa's playing...just to throw that out there hahaha

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:36 am
Motorman

I disagree, but I totally get your point. I really enjoy that he isn't blues based though, and that I don't know what to expect from his playing.

Admittedly, I don't listen to him for hours and hours like I have with many other guitarists, Henderson included, but I do enjoy a record or 2 sometimes.

Fender HH Tele / RG7321 / Gunslinger -> Pitchblack -> BYOC Wah -> DOD FX25B -> Phase100 -> Xotic EP Booster -> Xotic BB Preamp -> Eventide TimeFactor -> Carvin X100B -> Dr.Z Air Brake -> Orange 2x12

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:02 pm
Motorman

Wow Levi, I like your stuff but I don't think I can take you seriously after that post. :lol: I'm completely the opposite; Allan Holdsworth is the only guitarist that still blows my mind every single time I hear him (and that's musically as well as technically).

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Eh.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:10 pm
Viking Kong

One is not allowed to talk about Allan without mentioning his album "Flat Tire"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axfdk0ODwcI

Gotta love that guitar-sound! Everything here is midi-guitar btw!

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]