View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 My "Modern Rock Radio Station" Rant... 
Motorman

Post My "Modern Rock Radio Station" Rant...
Long time no post... Anyone still here?? :P

Anyways, I will start this rant by saying YES I understand that the major so called "Rock" radio stations are pretty much a joke. I mean, we have a station here in Wichita called t-95 which is not bad... Much better than anything else around here station wise. I'll admit, they play cool stuff sometimes.. But what really gets me, is that there are so many classic rock/metal bands that have a HUGE catalog of great songs... But they will only play about 4 or 5 and never stray outside of that box.

For example, Aerosmith has been putting out records for 5 decades now.. Some great stuff in there.. But all you ever hear is "Love in an elavator", "Sweet Emotion", "Dream On", "Dude Looks like a lady"...

Not to say these are bad songs, i'm sure lots of people like them... But why not dig a little deeper? And they just kill me with the Zeppelin... It's always "Whole Lotta Love", HeartBreaker, "Kashmir", And "stairway" etc... There are so many other great songs but you NEVER hear them.

Anyone else have this situation in their town/city with the radio stations? I know that most people don't listen to the radio much anymore... But I am forced to listen to it all day at work and I just can't wrap my brain around why this stuff is going on...

Lastly, how in the hell does a band like "Shinedown" get so much frickin' airplay???? I mean... Some people here probably like them... (Hope not), but I gotta say, in my humble way, THEY SUCK DONKEY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But they get so much radio play it's obscene... Somebody must be getting paid off somewhere... Either that or kids now day just have no idea what good rock music is. Just repeat an annoying chorus 50 million times, have a slow, soft acoustic break in the song for maybe 10-20 secs, then go back to the chorus another million times. I think they should call this the "Nickleback effect."

/Rant

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:26 am
Viking Kong

Post Re: My "Modern Rock Radio Station" Rant...
There’s not a whole lot of radio stations that are independently owned anymore. Most of the radio stations these days are corporate owned. There used to be FCC restrictions in place that prevented one from owning more than one AM/FM radio station in a single market. However back in the early 2000s that restriction was lifted and that is when the corporations swooped in and started buying out tons of radio stations. So because of that it is no longer about the music and is all about the numbers. Since their market research has shown that most people will listen to the radio in increments of 15 to 30 minutes at a time (IE: driving to work, driving home, driving to lunch, driving to a friend’s house, etc) they play the same group of songs over and over again. Personally I don’t agree with this, and like you I listen to the radio all day (NOT in 15 to 30 minute increments)… however I listen to satellite radio (SiriusXM) and rarely listen to terrestrial radio anymore for the exact reasons in your rant (and more).

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:27 pm
Viking Kong

I thought the radio was blown up. You guys don't need the citation for that, right? :P

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:29 am
Motorman

LoQ wrote:
however I listen to satellite radio (SiriusXM) and rarely listen to terrestrial radio anymore for the exact reasons in your rant (and more).

Im sick of SiriusXM. I got a year of service in August and will not be re-upping when the time comes. Its not this big, talkless, adless wonder I expected. Even ignoring those elements, theres just not ehough there. Radio cuts (a pet peeve of mine) all over the place, and the Boneyard now has segues by Ozzy's family. Why anyone should give a shit about those people is beyond me. And it repeats tunes quite often. Thursday, I heard Children of the Sun by Billy Thorpe on my way to work, during my lunchbreak, then on my way home. I don't know, maybe there are some secret stations I don't know about. But goddammit, play a Purple song from In Rock or Fireball.

Mon May 28, 2012 9:22 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

This is why I just connect my mp3 player to my car. Though even before mp3 players were popular, I already liked the idea that I can control what I can listen to by burning CDs and what-not.

I know what you mean, though. The only rock station here in my country closed down a year or so ago. They were great, they kept the rock alive in a way. I stopped listening to them though because they mostly played emo stuff but I do like them for bringing all the local music to the general masses.

Mon May 28, 2012 9:51 am
Viking Kong

I couldn't agree more, Sanchez! I hate it. Haven't listened for years.

Zae wrote:
I thought the radio was blown up. You guys don't need the citation for that, right? :P

Testify, brother!

Mon May 28, 2012 10:12 pm
Viking Kong

what is this "radio" thing that you all speak of ????

:?: :?: :?:

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:25 pm
Search Button God!

Xelatunes wrote:
what is this "radio" thing that you all speak of ????

:?: :?: :?:

Don't play games mister. We all know you were around when they invented the damn thing.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:48 pm
Godzilla

I wish radio stations would play more:

Racer X
The Scream
Scream
Dain Bramage
Sunny Day Real Estate (formerly known as Empty Set, Chewbacca Kaboom, and One Day I Stopped Breathing)
The Germs
Rough Cutt
Flipper

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]