View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I'm the new guy, have pgm's, WTB another.. 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post I'm the new guy, have pgm's, WTB another..
Hey everyone - I just joined up. My name is Ken, and I'm the GM of Reverend Guitars, a manufacturer based in the Detroit area.

I've been collecting Ibanez since I was a kid - I got my RG 550 in 1990 and since then I've added jems, prestige, etc..
I got super lucky and tripped into a MINT PGM 800 last year, and I love it. However, it's too clean to sweat all over, so it never leaves the house.

Last week I got a PGM 200 -

I really like it, but I question the pickup rings. Has anyone here ever seen pink ones? The rest of the guitar appears original and well taken care of, and the fading on the rings matches the pickups..

I'd really like to find a player condition PGM 300, original or reissue... I want to gig with it!

Wed May 23, 2012 1:22 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

Post Re: I'm the new guy, have pgm's, WTB another..
You're the GM of Reverend and you wanna gig an Ibanez?

Sounds legit.

Wed May 23, 2012 1:32 am
Viking Kong

The 200 looks really good!

Where did you get it?

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed May 23, 2012 2:22 am
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

i saw the green 200 go on ebay last week.

shame not to gig with that if you keep it

Wed May 23, 2012 3:50 am
God Of The Sun

I would be inclined to say that it's always had those pickup rings - the fading is a little too perfect for me to think that those rings and pickups haven't spent years next to each other

Wed May 23, 2012 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Yes, I'm the Reverend guy, and I like Ibanez. I posted this on the jemsite a while back:

"I was asked if Ibanez has had any influence on the design of Reverend Guitars...

Reverend Guitars are designed by Luthier / Amp Builder Joe Naylor. He owned a vintage buy-sell store for a while, and our designs are based on just about everything he saw come through that shop. He loves the classics, obviously, but also the more obscure brands from the US and abroad. Alot of these guitars had some great individual features, but overall lacked the "it" factor, so many of the brands from the electric guitar "boom" era are gone.. Joe sought to take influences from all of the guitars of that era, and create something unique, high-quality, and with it's own character. I like to say that what we do is traditional enough that vintage guys "get" it, yet fresh enough that younger players want to have it as well.

One of the things we pride ourselves in is build quality and playability.. As the GM of Reverend, I look back to the brilliant marketing that Ibanez / Hoshino pioneered in the 70's. They did market research in the states, and discovered that a lot of the new guitars hanging on hooks in the stores were very poorly set up, and basicly unplayable to a pro player. So they set up shop here in the states, brought over a great product, and then went the extra mile to set up all guitars shipped to dealers. So at the time, a player could walk into a shop and try a LP, for example, then grab a 2663 and have a guitar that played better, looked cool, etc. Then they went hard after pros.. and had some steady endorsers in Steve Miller, Grateful Dead, and others before they really hit the nail on the head with Vai, Satch, Gilbert, and so on..

I'm taking that approach with what we do now. The difference is we're an American owned and operated company, we just also happen to help employ some really cool folks over in S Korea.. the head of the factory we use is a 4th generation instrument builder.

We did build bodies here for a while - and we found the quality of what we're having made for us rivals the work we were doing here. The classic misconception is that we build in Korea to be cheaper - but we do it to be better - and it keeps the pricing competitive in the marketplace at the same time. Win-win. "

That's how I ended up here.

Wed May 23, 2012 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

That's pretty cool to hear, and those PGMs look great :)

Wed May 23, 2012 4:49 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

I front a band called the Polka Floyd show - yes, a Pink Floyd tribute band with an accordian.. It started out as kind of a joke, then we started getting paid, and now it's a blast. We performed at winter NAMM last year, and we travel all over the states in the fall doing Oktoberfests etc..

I use a Reverend for 90% of our set - my main guitar is a Jetstream HB.
I also bring:
- '63 Fender Champ 6 steel for "One of these days" and parts of "Echoes"..
- National Resolectric for "Fearless" "Wish for a Beer"
- Reverend Pete Anderson Eastsider T to perform The Wall - we do the whole thing from beginning to end
- Ibanez Jem for the Non-Steel parts of Echoes. I use the Floyd to slack the strings and loop it for the bridge section, pull up on harmonics for the birds.

I'd like to replace the jem with a PGM 300 - I need the floyd. I like Paul better than Steve, don't tell anyone.

....AND I do take a lot of crap from the Rev guys when they come to shows.

Wed May 23, 2012 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Hey Ken, I think I just watched a video of you a few weeks ago on youtube interviewing Unknown Hinson(Stuart Baker) for his signature Reverend guitar. Was that you?

Anyway... welcome aboard :D

Wed May 23, 2012 8:29 pm
Viking Kong

Welcome to the board.

You have come to the right place for PGM info. I have seen pink rings on a few 200's, so it could be stock. Others have black rings, my 200 as black rings. 200's don't come up for sale that often, black rings might be slightly more common but I don't know for sure. If we knew the serial numbers of multiple pink ring 200's we might be able to narrow down to a specific range that pink rings were used.

Compared to your 800 is your 200 kind of thin sounding? Im just curious because my other PGM's seem to have a fuller sound, and I have never played another 200 besides my own. Some of that might be the pickups, but I don't usually have that issue with PAF style pickups on my PGM300, and Gibsons.

Wed May 23, 2012 11:50 pm
Motorman

You are the guy who stole that on ebay from me the other week! I commented on your jemsite post. I have been checking ebay almost daily for over a month and didn't come across that auction!! I would have gone up to like $1200 for that and you got it for $895... lol. Welcome though!

Thu May 24, 2012 10:59 am
is evil...Evil Joe

- That was me with Mr. Baker. He's a long time Reverend user and a good friend of mine. I still can't believe he did that interview out of character. He was telling me stories I'd never heard before, on camera, and I was forgetting what I wanted to ask him next because it was so interesting. If you haven't seen Unknown Hinson live, it's amazing. Go!

- On the 200 vs. 800. My 200 actually sounds quite a bit beefier in all positions. It's really only 'apples to apples3' in the bridge and neck only positions, but in both the 200 seems to have more midrange 'thonk'. However - No one ever broke in my 800, including me...and the 200 has a few miles on it. Thanks for the pickup ring info.. the serial # on this one is F011138.

- I figure I go lucky on the 'bay cuz it was mothers day. I just happened to get home from family stuff 10 minutes before it ended, and remembered to check...

Sooo -nobody knows where I can find a 300, eh?

Thu May 24, 2012 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

There's a reissue in stock at a UK store, that's not much help to you, though. :|

Thu May 24, 2012 2:29 pm
Motorman

khaas wrote:
- That was me with Mr. Baker. He's a long time Reverend user and a good friend of mine. I still can't believe he did that interview out of character. He was telling me stories I'd never heard before, on camera, and I was forgetting what I wanted to ask him next because it was so interesting. If you haven't seen Unknown Hinson live, it's amazing. Go!

- On the 200 vs. 800. My 200 actually sounds quite a bit beefier in all positions. It's really only 'apples to apples3' in the bridge and neck only positions, but in both the 200 seems to have more midrange 'thonk'. However - No one ever broke in my 800, including me...and the 200 has a few miles on it. Thanks for the pickup ring info.. the serial # on this one is F011138.

- I figure I go lucky on the 'bay cuz it was mothers day. I just happened to get home from family stuff 10 minutes before it ended, and remembered to check...

Sooo -nobody knows where I can find a 300, eh?

If you haven't yet check out the "PGM's Available 2012". I've posted some in there and I plan on updating it when I find more.

Thu May 24, 2012 3:39 pm
Viking Kong

khaas wrote:

I'm an Unknown Hinson fan but I have never had the honor of seeing him live (with the exception of live videos). Before I saw your interview with him the only other time I have ever seen him out of character was during that infamous Boxmasters interview where Billy Bob Thornton had that strange on-air meltdown, but during that interview Stuart/Unknown didn’t say a word. So to hear him actually speak out of character in your interview was quite strange. Especially when I saw how super mellow and soft-spoken he is compared to his Unknown Hinson character. He looked so different too, I doubt I would have recognized him if I passed him by on the street.

I can tell that his praise for his Reverend signature guitar is 100% genuine too. Good luck with that model, I hope you sell a ton of them. 8)

Thu May 24, 2012 3:46 pm
Motorman

PGM 301 http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/i ... e&dir=desc

(It's about half way down, $1,499)

Thu May 24, 2012 10:00 pm
Viking Kong

black album wrote:
PGM 301 http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/i ... e&dir=desc

(It's about half way down, $1,499)

That won't do, no trem, no go :)

Edit: My mistake, the pictures do show a 300. :|

Last edited by Zae on Fri May 25, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 24, 2012 10:05 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

It looks to be a 300 in the pics they have posted.. I'll call out there tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

Fri May 25, 2012 1:57 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

You can find a 300 in my storage locker. Unfortunately for you its not for sale.

Just keep checking the usual places where PGM's may show up for sale. Ebay, craigslist, gbase, the ishibashi music u box, jemsite, ibanez rules......

When they show up used in Japan they sometimes go for really cheap. I got mine for around $500 shipped from ishibashi in japan. It is a players condition guitar since someone put pickup rings on it at one point.

Sat May 26, 2012 3:07 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Do you guys have a feel for what would be a fair price on a clean 300 reissue? It seems they were a dime a dozen not to long ago, and now have become harder to find.

The GC guys seem OK, but they have no idea what they're talking about... " Really? the one with the painted f-holes?? Hold on, I'll find someone who knows about that..." No luck so far. I got a Jem7sbl thru a GC store last year and the condition was GREATLY exagerated. It was a 7/10 with full on through the paint dings they were offering as a 9/10 Super Clean. You have to figure in that very few GC's really take care of their inventory....

I may still go for this, but I want to be smart about it, make him a realistic offer and stick with it.

Selling new guitars is easier!! :D

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next