View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Ibanez and their guitar line-ups 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post Ibanez and their guitar line-ups
I don't remember the last time I looked at Ibanez guitars. I remember I got so frustrated with their line-up ages ago cause they never had guitars that have maple fretboards. When they finally did, they released them with the old neck joint and I was just like whattt man

Anyway, I went to their website and checked out all the guitars and I still feel kind of disappointed. Is it just me? They don't have much options now and I really don't like it when guitars with maple fretboards have headstocks that match the body color (just my opinion at least). I'm happy they finally put in fixed bridge options for SOME guitars but the bridge looks like ass. Anything lower than the Edge Pro will never ever be stable. I don't know why they keep forcing it? Also, no maple fretboard options for the fixed bridge guitars.

I went to ibanezrules and I stared at photos of the AT100 and the PGM401 and they look so amazing. I wish they had those guitars on their normal line-up, even cheaper ones that aren't signature models.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:53 am
Superhero

Post Re: Ibanez and their guitar line-ups
That's when the lawsuit guitars come into play :D

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

Do you even play ibanez?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:10 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Uh. Yes? I don't understand why you asked that. :? I didn't say anything about playability I was just asking if it's just me who's disappointed with the lack of maple fretboard options, fixed bridges, and PGM401/AT100 looking guitars.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:34 pm
Viking Kong

Well, most Ibanez fixed bridge guitars aren't of the RG shape. Most of the other lines are full of fixed bridges.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:36 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Oh right I didn't verify that sorry :lol: I guess I'm talking about the RGs mostly. Which reminds me, didn't they have a guitar that had a similar body to the S but with a regular trem/almost fixed bridge that had had split coilings and what not?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:58 pm
Dr. X

I think that was the SA series. Havent seen many of them over here. Only one i have played was a friends and i wasnt really impressed.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:59 pm
Viking Kong

Their best guitars are definitely the artcore series and the AT-100. The old Petrucci model and the PGMs are great too. So many of their standard production and japanese made RGs/S series sound so thin and weak nowadays. I don't know why, but a lot of the models went from sounding warm and fat to sounding really thin and sterile. Their guitars built in the 90's were dope

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:33 pm
Viking Kong

Come to think of it, maple fretboards are pretty uncommon anyway.
Why the hell is that?

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:36 am
Motorman

Rich wrote:
Why the hell is that?

I think they must cost more money to utilise. Maple is a much harder wood than say rosewood, so setting the frets, etc. would be a much more arduous task.

At least that's what makes sense to me...

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:16 pm
Viking Kong

Rich wrote:
Why the hell is that?

It depends on the model of guitar. Fender offers a decent amount of teles and strats with maple necks. Gibson recently started using baked maple on some of their cheaper models like the melody maker and the les paul studio 60's tribute models.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:54 pm
Viking Kong

meticadpa wrote:
Rich wrote:
Why the hell is that?

I think they must cost more money to utilise. Maple is a much harder wood than say rosewood, so setting the frets, etc. would be a much more arduous task.

Maybe you have a point. I always thought it was the way you described, but with Ebony fretboards, anyway.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:16 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Are one piece maple fretboards (neck then fretboard combined without cutting a maple fretboard out separately) cheaper to make vs maple neck then cutting a separate rosewood? Just curious. I think the maple is more expensive argument could possibly be the reason why rosewood is preferred.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:32 am
Viking Kong

Pao wrote:
Are one piece maple fretboards (neck then fretboard combined without cutting a maple fretboard out separately) cheaper to make vs maple neck then cutting a separate rosewood? Just curious. I think the maple is more expensive argument could possibly be the reason why rosewood is preferred.

I would think a 1 piece neck and fret board would lead to other problems. You might not be able to use a truss rod. The 1 piece neck might make routing the channel and installation difficult.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:23 pm
Motorman

Rich wrote:
meticadpa wrote:
Rich wrote:
Why the hell is that?

Maybe you have a point. I always thought it was the way you described, but with Ebony fretboards, anyway.

Yep, I know that's definitely the case with ebony. It's meant to be a nightmare to fret ebony fretboards purely because it's such a hard (but brittle) wood.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:03 pm
Search Button God!

xjustice09x wrote:
Pao wrote:

I would think a 1 piece neck and fret board would lead to other problems. You might not be able to use a truss rod. The 1 piece neck might make routing the channel and installation difficult.

One piece necks have the truss rod installed from the back.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:14 pm
King Of The Monsters

That´s why I changed to MusicMan guitars...

They´re so awesome...

Image Image

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]