View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Are you brand conscious? 
Motorman

Post Re: Are you brand conscious?
Lamer wrote:
I love my Hello Kitty Squier. That thing rips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... kUY#t=529s 8)

Bahaha, that's brilliant. Some of the Squiers aren't too bad at all. The Affinity series are pretty decent. And the older MIJ Squiers are great.

Last edited by meticadpa on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:58 pm
Search Button God!

Sir Robin wrote:
I remember my friend once fell in love with this one black Hello Kitty guitar at guitar center. :lol:

Pshhh, black is for wimps. Pink is the only way to go!

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:30 pm
Viking Kong

Squiers aren't bad actually. They feel super easy to play on.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:34 pm
Motorman

Wasn't the first Racer X album part-recorded on a borrowed Squier?

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:09 pm
Viking Kong

I believe so.

But then, again, I don't know if Squiers back then were better or worse than nowadays'.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:38 pm
Profile YIM
Motorman

Sir Robin wrote:
I believe so.

But then, again, I don't know if Squiers back then were better or worse than nowadays'.

They'd have been MIJ, and substantially better! The MIJ Squiers are fantastic.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:55 pm
Viking Kong

Pao wrote:
I guess I wasn't clear with what I meant by brand conscious. You guys are right, though. We all have predisposed judgements on brands because of what we hear. Fender > Squire. Gibson > Epiphone

What I meant, though, is that would you guys be okay playing the lower brand? I thought about this because I was never brand conscious. I know for a fact that Epiphones are really good for the price in comparison to Gibson that is totally overpriced. Diminishing returns was already discussed in a Suhr thread here.

I'd like to revise my question: Is it essential for you to be playing a really good brand? Or would it be okay for you to play something cheaper?

This question is kind of tough since I know most of us can't poop out cash because if we had tons of spare cash we'd definitely pick the better one, yes?

I don't know how to ask it specifically but I'd like a good discussion.

Well, here's the thing. Epiphones are great for the money, but Gibsons are generally way better in tone and build quality than Epiphones and hold their value over time (and increase if it's a good year!). The Gibsons people mostly play in shops are shitty, haven't been taken care of. Comparing a well set up Gibson to a well set up Epiphone with stock everything is almost no contest. It's overpriced sure, but the quality of those instruments are undeniable. Gibsons aren't just factory line, in fact they are very meticulously made and a lot of the process is more hands on than people think. Epiphones on the other hand, are more like your typical mass produced guitar. Anyway, you pay what you get.

I definitely don't mind playing the cheaper instrument, but it also has to sound and feel good. Most of my guitars surprise people, because they play and sound just as good as some really high end gear, but I also know how to set up my guitars well. If I tested out a Squire that actually played and SOUNDED better than some standard production fender strats, then hell yeah, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. That's a difference of what, 400$? Slap some Areas 61s in there and you got yourself a beast. I'm sort of skeptical though of buying cheaper clone gear without testing it first.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2