View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 THERES NO SUCH THING AS DJENT 
Superhero

Post THERES NO SUCH THING AS DJENT
so i dont know when the word djent started getting thrown aroujnd all over the place, i think the whole situation is pretty funny.

i guess djent has come to describe all these grooove based metal bands that have those odd time signature grooves with 7 and 8 stirng guitars like, animals as leaders and born of osiris.

Even meshuggah is being labeled as djent. Now meshuggah have been around for a long time, so why is it only recently they are being labeled as djent?

all this "newer" type of metal that is "groove" based i more or less just call it progressive metal.

But i saw this article and it was as funny as fuck so what do you think about djent as a genre?

http://www.ryansrockshow.com/php2/news/ ... -fuck.html

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:25 am
Motorman

Post Re: THERES NO SUCH THING AS DJENT
I use the term 'djent' once in a while because people then usually know what you're referring to, where 'progressive metal' is just very broad. I mean, e.g. Opeth and Periphery are very different bands in my head at least, but progressive metal still covers them both. So in lack of something better to call it I will probably continue to use 'djent' to describe that type of music and sound, sub-sub-sub-genre or not.

Fender HH Tele / RG7321 / Gunslinger -> Pitchblack -> BYOC Wah -> DOD FX25B -> Phase100 -> Xotic EP Booster -> Xotic BB Preamp -> Eventide TimeFactor -> Carvin X100B -> Dr.Z Air Brake -> Orange 2x12

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:25 am
God Of The Sun

Misha Mansoor of Periphery coined the term "Djent" - he used it to describe the sound you hear from the guitars in Messhuggah

Dejnt djent dent..... dj djent djent djent

It's an eq and tuning thing

The term caught on....

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

exactly
its become a movement in which a bunch of emo kids who cant play guiar trade in their guitars for 7 strings or 8 strings and go to drop a,g,f,or even e and play some ridiculous arbitrary odd tempo break down all day long

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:36 pm
Viking Kong

Never heard about the term.

don't really care forthose bands either.

But I agree about the whole "I can't write anything cool, so I might as well just tune down my guitar"

I usually say that those bands are "artificially heavy". I mean, Black Sabbath has some of the heaviest riffs in metal, and most of them were played in standart tuning. Just listen to Symptom of the Universe. It's heavy as fuck.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:15 pm
Profile YIM
Superhero

metal is getting to the point where they might as well make 1 stringed guitars

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:36 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

MissMisstreater wrote:
Misha Mansoor of Periphery coined the term "Djent" - he used it to describe the sound you hear from the guitars in Messhuggah

The term caught on....

Ohhhh okay now I get it. But I've been using that term for ages. I use it to describe the sound of palm-muted stuff

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:29 am
God Of The Sun

Pao wrote:
MissMisstreater wrote:

The term caught on....

Ohhhh okay now I get it. But I've been using that term for ages. I use it to describe the sound of palm-muted stuff

Misha used 'djent' to describe those palm mutes, after the Meshuggah guys used that expression... in some interview, or so...

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:50 am
Superhero

ive been loooking around but i couldnt find out why there is a d in djent

where did that d come from?

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:41 pm
Viking Kong

It's just an onomatopoeia, you could spell it anyway, I think that's just the one that caught on. No idea where it came from though.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:44 pm
Viking Kong

Sir Robin wrote:

But I agree about the whole "I can't write anything cool, so I might as well just tune down my guitar"

Completely disagree.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:18 am
Superhero

Refried Bean wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:

Completely disagree.

what i have to say about that is, there are definitely many talented musicians LIKE TOSIN ABASI who know how to use the extended range of a 7 or 8 string guitar, but look at any emo kid playing a "djentcore" break down on youtube. It's just them hammering away at a low F string all day long

Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:15 am
Viking Kong

I'm not saying every guitarist who tunes down their guitars are bad. I love black label society, Opeth and a lot of cool Black Sabbath tunes had guitars tuned to low, heavy tunings.

What I meant is that there are a lot of kids out there who think they'll sound cool JUST BECAUSE they can use a 7 or 8 string, and use lower notes. Low tunings don't mean they're cool. If its a good riff, then it's a good riff.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:51 am
Profile YIM
Godzilla

philiphan wrote:
exactly
its become a movement in which a bunch of emo kids who cant play guiar trade in their guitars for 7 strings or 8 strings and go to drop a,g,f,or even e and play some ridiculous arbitrary odd tempo break down all day long

Nope, that's called Hardcore and is generally hated by all music fans, including djent fans. :P

Djent was a term invented by Fredrik Thordendal on the Meshuggah forums to describe a metallic sound that comes from heavy palm muting quite high up from the bridge.
Misha then used it in an interview to describe the same sound, but didn't really explain what he meant by it so people just assumed Periphery's whole sound = Djent.

I don't understand why so many people get quite to butt hurt about how Djent isn't a genre it's a palm muting technique. Sure it may have been originally, but words only mean what societal convention deems them to mean, so if most people refer to that style as djent then it is djent.

Also you guys who are damning an entire genre just because 90% of the music that's in that genre might wanna go read up on something called Sturgeon's Law.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:40 pm
Viking Kong

Pretty much sums it up perfectly AzzaDutt. Ska and Reggae are the sounds the guitar makes, no one seems to mind those names.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:52 pm
Superhero

i wouldnt even call it to a palm mute techinque.
It's really just a specific EQ curve.
It's not even that specific; that "djent" sound is not really the result of how you "palm mute," but more of a boost in the mids.

I've looked at a ton of "djent" tone tutorials, some of them using actual amps, and some just using amp modelers in DAWs, and almost all of them involve putting a tube screamer (either a real one of a simulator), or some other overdrive pedal which boosts the mids before it hits the preamp.

And then when the mid boosted signal hits the preamp, the gain from the preamp propagates that mid boost.

YEs, i know that "djent" is characterized by 4 note power chords, and moving your hand further past the bridge when muting, bhtu i woudl say its the mid boost which makes it djent/

What do you think?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:58 pm
God Of The Sun

Zesty wrote:
Ska and Reggae are the sounds the guitar makes, no one seems to mind those names.

where did you get that from? haha

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Nothing written I can cite. I just recall hearing in someone's overview of the development of the music.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:01 am
God Of The Sun

I know where the quotes come from - Derrick Morgan claimed both - but the musicians in his band have all said that it wasn't the case.

I've heard that the description for the guitar playing style "skank" is onomatopoeic, that kind of makes sense, but "skank" is also the typical dance associated with Ska, I'm not entirely sure which came first though.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Then there's also the The Skatalites who were releasing albums before Derrick Morgan and the first couple of albums had ska in the name. I'm really not sure, could have come from something else. Really not sure when skanking started.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next