View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 PAIN!! 
Promises to use Search button

Post PAIN!!
Hi Guys,
Could do with some advice,

In the last month or so I have noticed a pain in the palm of my picking hand below my thumb (the padded part). The pain comes about after 1 minute or so of alternate picking, and subsides once I stop. I am unsure whether this is muscle pain or tendon pain?
After I finish playing and move my thumb around I don't feel any discomfort, except for if I prod my palm which feels a little bit tender, almost like its bruised.

Has anyone experience of this, or any advice.
Cheers
Pete

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:07 am
Search Button God!

Post Re: PAIN!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tun ... d_symptoms Check the diagnosis section and do the tests. I highly recomment consultig with your doctor. Hand injuries are no joke. Trust me, I know.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:16 am
Godzilla

It sounds like you're holding your pick too tightly and thus inducing pressure on your thumb. Loosen up your grip, practice playing with a less tight grip on your pick (you really don't need to be holding it with much force at all) at slow speeds and build up.

A thicker pick might help as you won't need to pick as hard and thus might cause you to put less pressure on the pick. Just a suggestion.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

It's not carpal tunnel. Carpal tunnel = median nerve compression. Should show up with different symptoms

If you mean the "padded part" you mean the thenar group so it's probably just a muscle since there are no tendons there. Also, are you sure it's in the padded part and not in the joint (padded part to thumb: carpometacarpal joint)? I'd say muscle strain BUUUT->

Yeah. Always remember:
1. Never self-diagnose. You might treat yourself for the wrong disease
2. Always consult a doctor if the symptoms persist (ex: since it hurts, you rest it. If it still hurts, then go to le doctor)

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:39 pm
God Of The Sun

Lamer wrote:
Trust me, I know.

...too.

Seriously, get it checked.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:16 am
Motorman

Assuming everytime you play it hurts, the first thing I'd do is give it 2 days solid and complete rest (aka ZERO guitar). 2nd, when I return to the instrument I would seriously analyse my playing. Sit in front of a mirror and examine where any tension exists (if any) and ensure when practicing exercises, especially something as demanding as alternate picking, that you have appropriate posture, correct neck strap height and again, no tension in your body (try standing if necessary). Guitar playing is meant to be fun not painful! I have experienced many different pains and problems over the years, but all have been solved by realising what was causing me the problem and changing the way I practice to remove the problem. Muscle pains are "ok", but joint pain should be VERY seriously dealt with.

The only other advice I can give is stop IMMEDIATELY when it comes to joint pain. Stop now, take 2 days off. Stop later and it could be more like 2 weeks, or even 2 months. Listen to your body, relax, be sensible and good luck!

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:13 am

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all your great replies!

I took all your advice and rested for a week, and then slowed by playing down and observed my technique for any flaws. AND FOUND A BIG ONE!!

I noticed that although I pick strictly with my wrist, I've had an unconscious tendency to rotate the plectrum in a circle with my thumb and finger when I crossed strings. From an accuracy perspective I think this put a lot of tension on the muscles in my palm to ensure I was hitting the strings.

The good news is that the pain has disappeared since I have been trying to phase out the finger movement. I have had to slow down quite a lot and re-learn technique but at the expense of permanent hand damage I'm happy to, and I'm sure it will make me a better player in the long run.

Thanks again!

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:01 pm
Motorman

kidguitar2000 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I took all your advice and rested for a week, and then slowed by playing down and observed my technique for any flaws. AND FOUND A BIG ONE!!

I noticed that although I pick strictly with my wrist, I've had an unconscious tendency to rotate the plectrum in a circle with my thumb and finger when I crossed strings. From an accuracy perspective I think this put a lot of tension on the muscles in my palm to ensure I was hitting the strings.

The good news is that the pain has disappeared since I have been trying to phase out the finger movement. I have had to slow down quite a lot and re-learn technique but at the expense of permanent hand damage I'm happy to, and I'm sure it will make me a better player in the long run.

Thanks again!

That sounds about right. Good to hear all is well! Almost all hand injuries (I think) can ultimately be attributed to some form of bad or overly tense technique. The problem is that more often than not you don't realise what a problem it is until the injury is upon you!!

I've heard Rusty Cooley and a bunch of other guys say that your basically fine picking ANY way (wrist, arm, etc.) so long as you don't move the pick using the joints of your fingers. I have seen one particular exception to this rule, but I would say this is good advice.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:25 am
Godzilla

ShredVsFeel wrote:
kidguitar2000 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks again!

That sounds about right. Good to hear all is well! Almost all hand injuries (I think) can ultimately be attributed to some form of bad or overly tense technique. The problem is that more often than not you don't realise what a problem it is until the injury is upon you!!

I've heard Rusty Cooley and a bunch of other guys say that your basically fine picking ANY way (wrist, arm, etc.) so long as you don't move the pick using the joints of your fingers. I have seen one particular exception to this rule, but I would say this is good advice.

Not quite true. You can develop severe joint pain in your fingers if you so much as watch the way Marty Friedman picks. Fact.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:19 pm

I'm sticking to strict wrist movement only. But DAMN it is so difficult to break out of bad habits, especially if you have been doing them unconsciously since you started playing.

My thumb and first finger are crying to start wiggling every time I cross a string at speed!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:35 pm
Motorman

AzzaDutt wrote:
Not quite true. You can develop severe joint pain in your fingers if you so much as watch the way Marty Friedman picks. Fact.

Yet Marty has been picking that way his whole life and is still playing. Fact. :P

BUT, I agree, I would say DON'T copy Marty, even though his picking style suits the way he plays it wouldn't suit someone like Paul Gilbert. Even Paul had to change his picking when he said it was hurting his thumb to pick the way he used to (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9-k2R-lYOo).

kidguitar2000, it sounds like you're back on! Don't rush, your body will come around super soon and you'll be pain-free blazing in no time!!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:05 pm
King Of The Monsters

Agree with the guys that say you should go to the Doc.

If nothing´s wrong with it, then you just lost a few bucks and some time. But if something was(is) wrong with your hand, you´ll be able to stop it and get it cured... professionally.

Internet serves for MANY things...but NOT for medicine.

Image Image

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

Guitarp77 wrote:
Agree with the guys that say you should go to the Doc.

If nothing´s wrong with it, then you just lost a few bucks and some time. But if something was(is) wrong with your hand, you´ll be able to stop it and get it cured... professionally.

Internet serves for MANY things...but NOT for medicine.

I concede defeat. A doc is the best bet for a guaranteed safe recovery.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:06 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Nobody listens to the med student :(

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]