View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Looking for an amp to match my Fuzz Universe Pedal. 
Promises to use Search button

Post Looking for an amp to match my Fuzz Universe Pedal.
Hey guys,

First post here. I just received my Fuzz Universe pedal by Majik Box. As you all know, the pedal requires some moderate distortion from the amp to function properly. I was not happy with my Blackstar HT-5, so i sold it. I am now looking for a new amp to match my pedal. I know Paul uses the Vintage Modern combo, but they are not in stock in my country and they are too expensive as well. Can anyone recommend something for me? I will be touring the music stores next week with my pedal to see if I can find one. Anything under 1400 $ is ok.

Thank you.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:53 pm
Motorman

Post Re: Looking for an amp to match my Fuzz Universe Pedal.
berkemeier wrote:
Hey guys,

First post here. I just received my Fuzz Universe pedal by Majik Box. As you all know, the pedal requires some moderate distortion from the amp to function properly. I was not happy with my Blackstar HT-5, so i sold it. I am now looking for a new amp to match my pedal. I know Paul uses the Vintage Modern combo, but they are not in stock in my country and they are too expensive as well. Can anyone recommend something for me? I will be touring the music stores next week with my pedal to see if I can find one. Anything under 1400 $ is ok.

Thank you.

Marshall JCM800? JCM900? JVM? DSL? Check out any high-end Marshall valve amps, basically.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:23 pm
Superhero

Why weren't you happy with the HT-5? I ask as I'm looking to get a fuzz universe pedal to go with mine.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:10 pm
Viking Kong

Nitefly wrote:
Why weren't you happy with the HT-5? I ask as I'm looking to get a fuzz universe pedal to go with mine.

I don't think the HT-5 will do a pedal like the Fuzz Universe much justice. But that's really all down to opinion.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:23 pm

meticadpa wrote:
berkemeier wrote:
Hey guys,

Thank you.

Marshall JCM800? JCM900? JVM? DSL? Check out any high-end Marshall valve amps, basically.

I doubt if i can get my hands on any of those for under 1400$. I am not living in the USA as you see..

Nitefly wrote:

Hi there,

A couple of reasons. The sound was a bit too dirty for my taste and I am now looking for a higher wattage amp since i will be gigging quite a lot. Most places here can't even mic an amp properly so I need higher wattage for gigs.

Otherwise, if you have a proper cabinet (a good cab really opens up the HT-5, less dirtyness, more headroom) and are looking for a bedroom level amp for this pedal, go for the HT-5. I was using a EHX Signal Pad to clean the amp and had good results.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Zae wrote:
Nitefly wrote:

I don't think the HT-5 will do a pedal like the Fuzz Universe much justice. But that's really all down to opinion.

I think just the same. It is ok if you want a bedroom level amp, but if you want to hear the true potential of this pedal, you need a better amp. More tubes you have on your amp, the better.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:30 pm
Godzilla

berkemeier wrote:
It is ok if you want a bedroom level amp, but if you want to hear the true potential of this pedal, you need a better amp. More tubes you have on your amp, the better.

+1

I have 12 tubes in my amp, so many that I don't even need a pedal in front! :mrgreen:

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:50 pm
Godzilla

Maybe try a used Laney?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:48 pm
Viking Kong

I was gonna say... I did pick up my Laney VC50 for mad cheaps thanks to Sharpant telling me where to look. Just needed a little loving and nursing to get it like new :D

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:10 pm
Viking Kong

Zae wrote:
I was gonna say... I did pick up my Laney VC50 for mad cheaps thanks to Sharpant telling me where to look. Just needed a little loving and nursing to get it like new :D

Where did you look?? :)

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:40 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Jemsite, actually.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:22 am
Superhero

Interesting, I never really considered that overdrive pedal performance would change drastically with the amp. Is that because the signal boost pushes all the tubes harder and the more tubes are pushed harder the better the sound?

I've always been put off amps with billions of tubes because they are just silly loud. I'd never turn up a duel rectifier up past zero for fear of exploding my ears. My ht-5 could deafen someone at max and that's 5watts!

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:21 am
Viking Kong

As much as I loved the millions of tubes in my H&K Triamp, it was too f'ing heavy! :P
It was always the last thing to be carried out of the van at gigs and carrying it was always the short straw for some (un)lucky person!

I would second the Laney suggestion. My GH50L takes pedals really well. It loves my OCD and HBE UFO.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Viking Kong

to answer nightfly's question, yes, the type of amp drastically changes the tone of the pedal. Fender amps are generally the go to pedal amps. Marshalls don't take overdrive and distortion pedals nearly as well imo... Most people will go with Fender, Bogner, Vox.

Some amps will "color" the tone of pedals in a shitty way, and others will do it in a way that make the pedal really sing. There are some pedals that go with any amp and guitars, and then there are pedals like the OCD that sound like ass when coupled with certain amps and guitars. The Barber Direct Drive comes to mind as one of those pedals that sound amazing with any amp...and it's way cheaper than a Suhr Riot/Shiba or Xotic BB preamp. It also depends on how you're using, whether you want to use a pedal as a boost, or a standalone overdrive pedal (amp clean).

By the way, if you want something to make an overdrive pedal sound HUGE, try getting an EP booster and putting it after the overdrive. It's amazing.

Here's Allen Hinds...one of my favorite tones and teachers of all time.

Xotic Ac booster (standalone) -> Ep Boost -> either a bogner/bugera/fender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BqYBPs-oCo

He's not using the AC as a boost pedal, it's his main overdrive.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]