View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Tone Help 
Superhero

Post Tone Help
I'm currently trying to sound like Metallica, which is obviously proving to be quite troublesome!

Other than picking harder than my dick when I think of Zooey Deschanel, is it as restricted as using something with EMGs through a mesaboogie? Or are there any tone settings you find particularly work.

I'm currently scooping the hell out of my blackstar HT-5 to respectable results, using my PGM301.

That tone on Blackened is sick! It's the best metal tone ever :shock:

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:54 am
God Of The Sun

Post Re: Tone Help
dont scoop your sound - you think it sounds good in your bedroom, but mids are so important. You scoop if you want to sound like Dimebag - compare that tone to Metallica and his just sounds weak

They were a little more scooped on earlier records, but the key to a big sound is mids.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

I'm well aware it would sound utterly poo on-stage and get lost behind the cymbal, but I don't have a band at the moment so it's not overly relevant.

If I was to play live it would be with dropped gain and raised mids for obvious reasons. But the tone on AJFA is definitely 'scooped' in it's nature - the Black album not so much!

Also, James Hetfield is a beast. You need some impressive stamina to make it through Disposable Heroes!

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:14 am
Viking Kong

I heard he is a table.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:34 am
Superhero

That's true. I'll trying playing like a table.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:42 am
Dr. X

The blackstar should get close and emgs would help.... but dont ruin your pgm with them. try boosting the bass and maybe using a compressor would help.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:58 am
Motorman

To get any closer I think you need to compress the shit out of it, add a noise gate, and double or triple track the guitars.
Maybe even have one of the tracks fractionally detuned.

And of course absolutely no reverb.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:32 pm
Godzilla

You should be able to get there with the Blackstar, I know they use Blackstar's backstage as their practice amps. EMGs seem to be a fairly integral part of the tone, probably due to the added compression. I'd say try a compressor.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:19 pm
Viking Kong

Try looking for their gear when they were recording those classic albums.

Their tone is a little scooped, but not too much... You'll have to tweak for a while until you find a similar tone.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:25 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

The super midrangy nature of basswood and the warmness of the PGM and its pickups will make it tough to sound Metallica-ish imo. It's not really a thrash instrument.

Here's a ballpark starting point for more thrashy tones (not familiar enough with blackstar amps myself). Maybe try using this as a template, and cut and boost from here to get your desired tone.

Gain: 12-2 oclock. Misconception is that heavy metal is recorded with a ton of gain...it isn't. Just double tracked with medium amounts. To get a "tighter" rhythm sound, lower gain to taste, but have enough so that the pick attack is still plenty chunky and chords still growl. The more gain there is, the more flubby your sound will be.

Bass:1-3 oclock

Mids: 8-11 oclock

Treb: 1-3 oclock

By the way, another thing you can do is scoop your amp further than normal, have low amounts of gain (below 12 to 12 oclock), then tighten that shit up with a TS9 (which will provide a midhump) with no drive, level all the way up. Many heavy metal players use the TS9 to tighten up amp distortion in this way. I know that Kirk actually has a TS9 in his setup for a solo boost, not sure if he uses it to tighten his tone though.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:00 am
God Of The Sun

Eww why would anyone ever want a Metallica tone.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]