View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Thinking of building a PGM500 *HELP* 
Motorman

Post Thinking of building a PGM500 *HELP*
I am seriously thinking about building a PGM500

I am looking for any tips from people who have made PGM's before and any helpful tips if you have them. I am also looking at getting a supplies list going. Here is what I have so far.

SUPPLIES:
Wood: Basswood
Pickups: Humbucker From Hell, JEM Single(is the evo fine?), Tone Zone
Bridge (Gold): http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-p ... Bridge.htm
Neck: HELPPPPPP. I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE I SHOULD GET A NECK THAT IS SIMILAR AND ALSO REVERSED HEADSTOCK.
Hardware (Gold): HELP

If anyone who has built a PGM guitar has some diagrams and dimensions I would GREATLY appreciate it. Also maybe fill me in on how much $$ it actually spent to make it?

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:35 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: Thinking of building a PGM500 *HELP*
It depends on how accurate you are trying to be for what types of neck you should buy. Most years the 500 had a 1 piece neck with a shallower head stock angle and a small volute behind the neck. In its final year of production (1995) they switched to the more common 2 piece neck with a scarf joint. I haven't seen a 2 piece neck on a 500 made in any other year. If you don't understand what i'm talking about look at the first post in the PGM Models thread.

There are a few models with reverse head stocks, but most with rosewood boards have shark tooth inlays not dots. Or if they do have dots they have maple boards.

The RGR321 had rosewood board, reverse head stock and dots, but it also has a bound fretboard.

If you can't find another model with the specs you want you will have to find a custom builder that is willing to make you a neck.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:41 am
Motorman

xjustice09x wrote:
It depends on how accurate you are trying to be for what types of neck you should buy. Most years the 500 had a 1 piece neck with a shallower head stock angle and a small volute behind the neck. In its final year of production (1995) they switched to the more common 2 piece neck with a scarf joint. I haven't seen a 2 piece neck on a 500 made in any other year. If you don't understand what i'm talking about look at the first post in the PGM Models thread.

There are a few models with reverse head stocks, but most with rosewood boards have shark tooth inlays not dots. Or if they do have dots they have maple boards.

The RGR321 had rosewood board, reverse head stock and dots, but it also has a bound fretboard.

If you can't find another model with the specs you want you will have to find a custom builder that is willing to make you a neck.

Thanks for your input. I feel like if I was to have someone custom make it I might as well just buy a used one because my project will be just as expensive. I don't care too much about the type of wood the fretboard is so maybe ill look for the RGR321 one.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:42 am
Dr. X

check out this : Ibanez RGR 321EX

It's very close to a PGM actually but you'll have to mod it of course. But it's no big deal. That's my best advice if you don't want to completely build it.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]