View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Rock and Metal - opinions 
Godzilla

Post Rock and Metal - opinions
It looks to me like there is Rock that isn't Metal and there is Metal that isn't Rock, but that sometimes Rock and Metal are overlapping concepts.

Anyone else have any opinions on this?

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:31 am
Viking Kong

Post Re: Rock and Metal - opinions
Interesting.

I find myself liking more Rock than Metal, and I say that because bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Racer X and Black Sabbath play what I like to think of "heavy rock".

Metal's so heavy nowadays, that when I say metal, people might think of bands such as Korn or some more extreme metal.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I like to look at metal as a genre of rock rather than an entire separate entity. That with the evolution of extreme metal pushing what's considered to be metal in a more intense direction, some metal is slipping into the "hard rock" area, and hard rock needs to get heavier to continue to fit into that distinction. At least that's how I look at it.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:43 pm
King Of The Monsters

Interesting debate.

For me, it is quite simple.

Rock (and/or "hard rock") stands for stuff like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc.

Then comes metal, which I divide in 2 categories:

1. Heavy Metal: Judas Priest, Maiden, Saxon, Racer X, etc.
2. Thrash Metal: Metallica, Megadeth, etc.

Then you have some bands which take elements of both styles and mix it on some kind of "own sound", which gives us endless branches of sub-categories, such as "death metal", "metalcore", "black metal", "nu-metal", "soft rock", "aor", etc.

But, in conclusion, both styles have lots in common. Maybe the "twin guitar attack" is what defines metal more than rock, which is a lot groovier than metal...

Image Image

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

To me its all in the tone and production

rock has overdrive and classic "live" production

metal is a tighter distorted sound and has a very clinical production

Rock - AC/DC

Metal - Lamb of God

two very different bands that, even with todays high quality production skills, sound very different.

to me, when bands take the values and feel of rock and play it with a more metal tone you get bands who are playing rock... but have that metal edge. To me, this is exactly where bands like Racer X come in. Theres all the rock attitude - good times, good feels, raw energy. This is very different to the macho, tight, polished sounds I would associate with the term "metal"

The reason this works so well is that bands slip between genres as the years pass. I know back in the 70s Led Zeppelin were considered "Heavy Metal", as were Sabbath. As the years go by though and more macho, tight, polished bands come along and these "heavy metal" bands are suddenly rock! Its all context

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I move topics!

Genres are completely subjective and there are no official definitions, so it's pretty hard to argue the finer points of what does or doesn't constitute "metal". Everyone's opinion is pretty much as valid as anyone else's. Having said that ...

Anyone who thinks that Black Sabbath isn't metal should have their ears checked and/or their head examined! :wink: :lol:

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

TheSurgeon wrote:
Genres are completely subjective and there are no official definitions, so it's pretty hard to argue the finer points of what does or doesn't constitute "metal". Everyone's opinion is pretty much as valid as anyone else's. Having said that ...

Anyone who thinks that Black Sabbath isn't metal should have their ears checked and/or their head examined! :wink: :lol:

I have one of those "rock encyclopedias". It's entry on Bryan Adams is in the METAL section!!!

Talk about one's ears needing checking and one's head needing examining... damn.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:42 pm
Motorman

Gringo300 wrote:
I have one of those "rock encyclopedias". It's entry on Bryan Adams is in the METAL section!!!

Talk about one's ears needing checking and one's head needing examining... damn.

Launched some Pepsi out of my nose after this one.

I don't want to meet the scary drugs that make Bryan Adams metal........

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:53 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

To me, thrash metal has more elements in punk than rock.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:42 pm
Godzilla

BlackStar wrote:
To me, thrash metal has more elements in punk than rock.

I'm not even sure what makes punk punk.

I hear different examples of music that's supposed to be punk, and they sound nothing alike to me.

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]