View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:37 pm



Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New guy sayin hi. Got a PGM400 on the way, built a fireman! 
Author Message
is evil...Evil Joe
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:16 pm
Posts: 49
Post Re: New guy sayin hi. Got a PGM400 on the way, built a firem
Diego wrote:
Dude, that looks just amazing! Did you spray the clear coating yourself? (lol, this sentence comes over like a bad 70s porn-dialogue)

And if so, how did you avoid dust?

Thanks man...yes I sprayed the clear myself...it came out of a rattlecan, and i hung it outside on the kids swingset and sprayed it there :lol:


Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:04 am
Profile
Dr. X

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 137
Post Re: New guy sayin hi. Got a PGM400 on the way, built a firem
Diego wrote:
Dude, that looks just amazing! Did you spray the clear coating yourself? (lol, this sentence comes over like a bad 70s porn-dialogue)

And if so, how did you avoid dust?

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA LOL!!!!!


Anyway, welcome to the board, Craigny! Look forward to you collecting all the pgm guitars and sharing them with us here. :)


Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:58 pm
Profile
is evil...Evil Joe
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:16 pm
Posts: 49
Post Re: New guy sayin hi. Got a PGM400 on the way, built a firem
Thanks! Pics of the PGM when she gets here!


Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:40 pm
Profile
is evil...Evil Joe
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:16 pm
Posts: 49
Post Re: New guy sayin hi. Got a PGM400 on the way, built a firem
Well after getting it back It plays so nice but the pickups were holding this thing back, keeping a great guitar from becoming an amazing guitar. So I had my shop put in a new set of Dimarzios..a tone zone in tje bridge, and a paf 36th anniv. In the nec..just got her back yesterday, and its probably the best sounding guitar I have now. Cleans and high gain settings sound clear and full...THE FIREMAN RULZ!!!!


Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:23 pm
Profile
Motorman

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:17 pm
Posts: 277
Post Re: New guy sayin hi. Got a PGM400 on the way, built a firem
Hey.

I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Did you get this body from the guy on eBay that makes them?
Is that the Gotoh GTC-101 bridge (like is used on the PGM guitars)?
Were all of your parts (neck, etc.) a direct fit, or did you have to do some work yourself?

The only reason I ask is that because of the extortionate prices us British people are going to be paying for the production Fireman, I'm considering just piecing one together myself, since it'll be a lot cheaper. I know it won't have the same thick neck or anything, but I guess that's the sacrifice I'll have to make. I do really want one for sure, though.


Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:02 pm
Profile
is evil...Evil Joe
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:16 pm
Posts: 49
Post Re: New guy sayin hi. Got a PGM400 on the way, built a firem
meticadpa wrote:
Hey.

I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Did you get this body from the guy on eBay that makes them?
Is that the Gotoh GTC-101 bridge (like is used on the PGM guitars)?
Were all of your parts (neck, etc.) a direct fit, or did you have to do some work yourself?

The only reason I ask is that because of the extortionate prices us British people are going to be paying for the production Fireman, I'm considering just piecing one together myself, since it'll be a lot cheaper. I know it won't have the same thick neck or anything, but I guess that's the sacrifice I'll have to make. I do really want one for sure, though.

Don't mind the questions at all! So to answer your questions
1. yes i got the body from the guy on ebay, but i ordered it direct..you can do either...its perleguitars.com, Nate is a great guy and will answer any questions you have
2. Yes its the Gotoh hardtail bridge..i ordered it from Stewmac...Nate drills the holes for it...(he only drills the four corners as some older Gotoh bridges have only four holes but the new ones like i have have another hole on the center of the rear row so i just bolted the corners and marked and drilled the fifth hole..no problem)..the bridge was a perfect fit.
3.the only fitting issues i had were on the neck....mine was off an Indonesian RG and supposedly the patterns for Japaneese necks are slightly shifted....it bolted up stock, but the neck wasnt set straight...so i did have to fill in the holes with dowels and re-drill, but it was not a big deal at all..i suspect if you use a Japaneese neck you should be able to bolt it right on..(mabye another Indo neck would have worked too), but like i said the pocket was cut perfect, the neck slid right in, and all the holes were exactly the same off so i believe its an indo/japan thing...once i remarked off the body and redrilled, it fit perfectly...other than that i had no problems other than the string ferrules on the back...the ones i had originally planned on using had the flanges on the top so that they sit on top of the bldy, but two of the string holes were a little too close together so i couldnt use them without overlapping them or filing two of them down...someone turned me onto these flush mount ones so i ordered them but the holes he drilled are deeper than the ferrules so they sink into the body about 1/4"..again no biggie.

Again this was my first project and i had a blast doing it, i highly reccomend it!!!!...all told i spent about $700 US and thats with buying two brand new pickups and having a shop do the wiring and setup...if you do your own electrical, and you already have pickups...knock off about $250...either way you will spend ALOT less and have a real unique guitar...he also makes these with a route for an edge trem ot 3 single coils too like Paul's....ill still be buying the "affordable" Fireman though...but go for it man!!!


Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:18 am
Profile
Motorman

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:17 pm
Posts: 277
Post Re: New guy sayin hi. Got a PGM400 on the way, built a firem
craigny wrote:
meticadpa wrote:
Hey.

I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Did you get this body from the guy on eBay that makes them?
Is that the Gotoh GTC-101 bridge (like is used on the PGM guitars)?
Were all of your parts (neck, etc.) a direct fit, or did you have to do some work yourself?

The only reason I ask is that because of the extortionate prices us British people are going to be paying for the production Fireman, I'm considering just piecing one together myself, since it'll be a lot cheaper. I know it won't have the same thick neck or anything, but I guess that's the sacrifice I'll have to make. I do really want one for sure, though.

Don't mind the questions at all! So to answer your questions
1. yes i got the body from the guy on ebay, but i ordered it direct..you can do either...its perleguitars.com, Nate is a great guy and will answer any questions you have
2. Yes its the Gotoh hardtail bridge..i ordered it from Stewmac...Nate drills the holes for it...(he only drills the four corners as some older Gotoh bridges have only four holes but the new ones like i have have another hole on the center of the rear row so i just bolted the corners and marked and drilled the fifth hole..no problem)..the bridge was a perfect fit.
3.the only fitting issues i had were on the neck....mine was off an Indonesian RG and supposedly the patterns for Japaneese necks are slightly shifted....it bolted up stock, but the neck wasnt set straight...so i did have to fill in the holes with dowels and re-drill, but it was not a big deal at all..i suspect if you use a Japaneese neck you should be able to bolt it right on..(mabye another Indo neck would have worked too), but like i said the pocket was cut perfect, the neck slid right in, and all the holes were exactly the same off so i believe its an indo/japan thing...once i remarked off the body and redrilled, it fit perfectly...other than that i had no problems other than the string ferrules on the back...the ones i had originally planned on using had the flanges on the top so that they sit on top of the bldy, but two of the string holes were a little too close together so i couldnt use them without overlapping them or filing two of them down...someone turned me onto these flush mount ones so i ordered them but the holes he drilled are deeper than the ferrules so they sink into the body about 1/4"..again no biggie.

Again this was my first project and i had a blast doing it, i highly reccomend it!!!!...all told i spent about $700 US and thats with buying two brand new pickups and having a shop do the wiring and setup...if you do your own electrical, and you already have pickups...knock off about $250...either way you will spend ALOT less and have a real unique guitar...he also makes these with a route for an edge trem ot 3 single coils too like Paul's....ill still be buying the "affordable" Fireman though...but go for it man!!!

Thank you so much. :)

Veeeeeeeeery interesting indeed. I'll see what happens. Your guitar is stunning, by the way!


Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:00 pm
Profile
is evil...Evil Joe
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:16 pm
Posts: 49
Post Re: New guy sayin hi. Got a PGM400 on the way, built a firem
meticadpa wrote:
craigny wrote:
meticadpa wrote:
Hey.

I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Did you get this body from the guy on eBay that makes them?
Is that the Gotoh GTC-101 bridge (like is used on the PGM guitars)?
Were all of your parts (neck, etc.) a direct fit, or did you have to do some work yourself?

The only reason I ask is that because of the extortionate prices us British people are going to be paying for the production Fireman, I'm considering just piecing one together myself, since it'll be a lot cheaper. I know it won't have the same thick neck or anything, but I guess that's the sacrifice I'll have to make. I do really want one for sure, though.

Don't mind the questions at all! So to answer your questions
1. yes i got the body from the guy on ebay, but i ordered it direct..you can do either...its perleguitars.com, Nate is a great guy and will answer any questions you have
2. Yes its the Gotoh hardtail bridge..i ordered it from Stewmac...Nate drills the holes for it...(he only drills the four corners as some older Gotoh bridges have only four holes but the new ones like i have have another hole on the center of the rear row so i just bolted the corners and marked and drilled the fifth hole..no problem)..the bridge was a perfect fit.
3.the only fitting issues i had were on the neck....mine was off an Indonesian RG and supposedly the patterns for Japaneese necks are slightly shifted....it bolted up stock, but the neck wasnt set straight...so i did have to fill in the holes with dowels and re-drill, but it was not a big deal at all..i suspect if you use a Japaneese neck you should be able to bolt it right on..(mabye another Indo neck would have worked too), but like i said the pocket was cut perfect, the neck slid right in, and all the holes were exactly the same off so i believe its an indo/japan thing...once i remarked off the body and redrilled, it fit perfectly...other than that i had no problems other than the string ferrules on the back...the ones i had originally planned on using had the flanges on the top so that they sit on top of the bldy, but two of the string holes were a little too close together so i couldnt use them without overlapping them or filing two of them down...someone turned me onto these flush mount ones so i ordered them but the holes he drilled are deeper than the ferrules so they sink into the body about 1/4"..again no biggie.

Again this was my first project and i had a blast doing it, i highly reccomend it!!!!...all told i spent about $700 US and thats with buying two brand new pickups and having a shop do the wiring and setup...if you do your own electrical, and you already have pickups...knock off about $250...either way you will spend ALOT less and have a real unique guitar...he also makes these with a route for an edge trem ot 3 single coils too like Paul's....ill still be buying the "affordable" Fireman though...but go for it man!!!

Thank you so much. :)

Veeeeeeeeery interesting indeed. I'll see what happens. Your guitar is stunning, by the way!

No problems, if i can answer any other questions just ask...you should go for it..if i can do it anyone can!!


Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:10 pm
Profile
Motorman

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:17 pm
Posts: 277
Post Re: New guy sayin hi. Got a PGM400 on the way, built a firem
craigny wrote:
meticadpa wrote:
No problems, if i can answer any other questions just ask...you should go for it..if i can do it anyone can!!

After seeing how sexy the production model is, I'm GASing for one of those. Maybe it'd be good to get one of the production models first, and then build my own later (with 24 frets and an HH configuration, rather than SSS and 22 frets). I think that's a good idea.


Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:12 pm
Profile
is evil...Evil Joe
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:16 pm
Posts: 49
Post Re: New guy sayin hi. Got a PGM400 on the way, built a firem
meticadpa wrote:
craigny wrote:
meticadpa wrote:
No problems, if i can answer any other questions just ask...you should go for it..if i can do it anyone can!!

After seeing how sexy the production model is, I'm GASing for one of those. Maybe it'd be good to get one of the production models first, and then build my own later (with 24 frets and an HH configuration, rather than SSS and 22 frets). I think that's a good idea.

Yeah I hear ya..ill be getting the production one too....im pretty sure it will be under $1000 so well see...its nice to have the HH one too..but ive been dying to try out those Injectors


Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:15 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.