View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER 
Search Button God!

Post Re: MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER
Not mixing Derek was a total dick move.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:32 pm
Motorman

Marco was awesome as expected. The Om nom nom cookie monster shirt only enhanced the experience hehe.
I thought Lang really sounded great too. He really has that "epic" sound to his playing which to my ears sounds right for something like Dream Theater.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:01 pm
Viking Kong

as a long time HUGE fan of DT's (and from just the bits we've seen so far) Mangini seems to be the clear fit thus far with Marco coming in second... Both John's (and Jordan at times) really seem to be feeling Mangini the most, James for some reason seems to not be sold on Mangini though and seems to like Marco more... But when you look at the grand scheme of things its John P (and Jordan) that do the songwriting and I think will have the most say in the decision, James really is usually the least involved which is why I find it odd that in the trailer they show him making the call and welcoming the new guy to the family, I figured it would either be all of them collectively or JP...

I dont think Derek or Thomas had a chance, and as GREAT as Donati is I just dont think he fits the band...

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:36 am
God Of The Sun

^^I also think that they edited it together in a way to make some drummers look better and others worse.

E.g. they put in that part where Virgil doesn't play the Dance of Eternity snare intro correctly.
They show Derek playing some improv bit where he doesn't seem to be very into it.
They show Thomas listening to JP playing the "Phase 3 odd time bits", trying to figure out what to play. But the way they edited it makes it look like he wasn't able to play it at first.
I'm pretty sure that all drummers needed to hear the phase 3 music looped for a bit before they played beats to it...

Anyways, you can edit things in a way to make someone shine, or to make someone look bad.

Also, there are some rumors that the protools session of Derek's drums got corrupted so they could only use the camera mic audio. Also Petrucci's guitar and everything else only had the camera mic's sound. So they didn't do that to Derek's sound intentionally.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:29 am
Godzilla

I don´t know if it deserved its own thread, but!

WE HAVE A WINNER

http://www.youtube.com/user/RoadrunnerR ... QHMQjH17aw

I´m not gonna spoil it for you, just watch and enjoy! :)

Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

That last bit made it look as if Portnoy was dead or something :D

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:11 pm
Viking Kong

The final choice was obvious and a great choice I might add... He was the first guy I thought of when I heard Portnoy was out...

Depending on who they had picked I thought I may have seen my last DT show but I'll definitely still go see them with this new drummer and I'm now looking forward to the new disc... 8)

Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:00 pm
Viking Kong

Maybe it's just because I'm such a Marco fan, but I didn't see anything special on Mike's performance... just that...

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:47 pm
Profile YIM
King Of The Monsters

I think it was a great choice. Mangini rocks.

Image Image

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Wow....What a TOTAL DICK MOVE (IMO) for "Zacky" to say all this about Portnoy... Even if its true it contradicts what he says about A7X keeping their business "private".... :roll: :evil:

On December 16, "Metal Zone" host Nikki Blakk of the San Francisco, California radio station 107.7 The Bone conducted an interview with AVENGED SEVENFOLD guitarist Zacky Vengeance before the band's free show at the HP Pavillion in San Jose, California.

On how AVENGED SEVENFOLD got caught up in the drama between their one-time touring drummer Mike Portnoy and Mike's former band, DREAM THEATER:

Zacky: "It was something that we were not used to at all. We had never, ever experienced any kind of in-the-spotlight drama; we just always stay in the shadows and keep any of our personal business private. And [Mike is] a very different character — he always goes straight to fans [on] Twitter or whatever… That's how he dealt with his band, and it was new to us. We like to be in touch with our fans, but we're also very private. 'Cause, to us, it's not about Zacky or M. Shadows or Synyster Gates, it's about AVENGED SEVENFOLD; it's more important than any one of us. And he'd been talking about quitting DREAM THEATER, that he wasn't necessarily happy, and he was excited to be playing with us; we were playing huge shows and stuff. I think he got caught up in the moment, got excited. We begged him to consider what he did, because we were in no position to find a permanent replacement, because in all honesty, you can't replace [late AVENGED SEVENFOLD drummer] Jimmy ['The Rev' Sullivan], who was our best friend — first and foremost — besides beng an amazing drummer. So it just wasn't the right time and the place. And he told us, 'Hey, I've got good news and bad news. I quit DREAM THEATER.' We were like, 'Oh, no. Well, if you're happy, then that's good.' [And he was like], 'Now I can be with you guys.' And we were like, 'That's not necessarily what we decided upon. And you should take your time and reconsider.' And he was like, 'Well, I put out my press release.' We were like, 'Dude, that's not how we do business. You should have talked to us before.' Then it was back and forth [between Mike and his former DREAM THEATER bandmates]. We were out of it; we had nothing to do with it. We were just trying to get back on our feet. So when all that was going down, it was causing us a lot of heartache, to be honest — to see our name in this drama-filled love triangle. He helped us out at a really vulnerable time, and for that we will always be extremely appreciative. But for us, we were so unstable at that point that any unneeded attention was just very harmful to us. Obviously, it didn't work out [between us and Mike], but I think it's for the best — for him and for us."

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:58 pm
Viking Kong

I think MP made this decision like a 15 year old would...

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:01 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8