View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 The "Truth" about Ron Rokken 
Viking Kong

Post Re: The Truth about Don Dokken
VeronicaLodge wrote:

It does break my rock & roll heart that his voice is shot ~ he was a great live vocalist ~

Peace,
V

Hmmm.... I don't know about all that...

Don't get me wrong, I was a huge Dokken fan back in the day, and while I think Don was an ok singer in the studio, he was always at a "disadvantage" while singing live... And from the first album (with Juan Croucier on bass) through "Back for the Attack" I must've seen Dokken Live at least 20 times.....

Now I'm not bashing, I'm just sayin'......that when I think of "great live vocalists" The names that come to my mind are: Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Geoff Tate, David Coverdale, Klaus Meine, Ray Gillen (RIP), Eric Martin, Jeff Keith, Kelly Hanson, Robert Mason, etc... But NOT Don....sorry just my 2 cents... :)

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:31 am
is evil...Evil Joe

MissMisstreater wrote:
I fell the same about Eric Martin

:(

The Mr. Big CD is in my car ~ I do not allow anyone to touch it ~

Peace,
V

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:48 am
Search Button God!

MissMisstreater wrote:
I fell the same about Eric Martin

:(

Oh come on, he still kicks ass live.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Xelatunes wrote:
VeronicaLodge wrote:

It does break my rock & roll heart that his voice is shot ~ he was a great live vocalist ~

Peace,
V

Hmmm.... I don't know about all that...

Don't get me wrong, I was a huge Dokken fan back in the day, and while I think Don was an ok singer in the studio, he was always at a "disadvantage" while singing live... And from the first album (with Juan Croucier on bass) through "Back for the Attack" I must've seen Dokken Live at least 20 times.....

Now I'm not bashing, I'm just sayin'......that when I think of "great live vocalists" The names that come to my mind are: Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Geoff Tate, David Coverdale, Klaus Meine, Ray Gillen (RIP), Eric Martin, Jeff Keith, Kelly Hanson, Robert Mason, etc... But NOT Don....sorry just my 2 cents... :)

I wrote a reply ~ pressed submit ~ it's gone :lol:
Let's try this again ~
WOW 20 times ~ I'm a little jealous ~

Bruce Dickinson is amazing ~

Eric Martin has a slight "tear" in his voice ~ his interpretion skills are incredible ~ just the right mix of joy and pain in the ballads ~

My point of reference is Dokken with Aerosmith ~ I thought Dokken stole the show ~ after Steven Tyler's standing back flip and Sweet Emotion ~ I was bored ~ how many controlled screams can one endure ~

David Coverdale's voice has a seductive texture, he always nailed it technically and he is truly "Rock Star" ~ very alluring and the lyrics/music were perfect for his delivery and presence ~ I saw the show many times ~ never tired of it ~

Don Dokken was not "Rock Star" (to me) ~ there was an innocence and he was very unassuming ~ I may just prefer his pitch, range, tonal quality ~ and the music ~ mostly love songs ~ even Kiss of Death ~ :lol:

Monsters of Rock '88 ~ it all fell apart when he wore white ~ just sayin' - he sounded better in black ~ :lol:

Peace,
V

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Ahh I get it now. Dino finally found his match. Waiting for potential future clash.

[popcorn]

Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:03 pm
Viking Kong

Pao wrote:
Ahh I get it now. Dino finally found his match. Waiting for potential future clash.

[popcorn]

Yeah ~

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:35 pm
Viking Kong

Just like Xelatunes I too was a big Dokken fan back in the day and of course Don’s voice was a contributing (be it small) factor in my love for that band. I also have seen Dokken live many times from the Tooth and Nail tours up through to the Back for the Attack tour. So I agree 100% with Xelatunes’ “studio vs live” assessment.

Don’s vocals were “pretty”, which worked fine for songs like Alone Again, Jaded Heart, Slippin’ Away, etc but when it came Dokken's heavy songs his voice was simply “ok” and IMO lacked the strength needed to really push his voice for the perfect fit. Now there is no crime in having a pretty voice in hard rock and heavy metal, after all guys like Joe Lynn Turner and Paul Rogers pull it off perfectly and are worshipped for it. However Joe and Paul also have the strength and the pipes to really deliver the heavy stuff. Don (again IMO), pulled it off…but just barely.

This was especially evident when compared to the vocal strength of his peers from that era. The most glaring evidence of this was during Hear N’ Aid’s “Stars”. Here you had all of the vocal greats of metal (at the time) in the same room performing on the same song with each verse being sung by a different vocalist, you had Ronnie James Dio, trading off with Rob Halford, trading off with Dave Meniketti, Geoff Tate, etc. As soon as it was Don’s turn at the mic, the vocals take a noticeable dip. It went from powerhouse, to powerhouse, to powerhouse, suddenly to “thin and pretty”.

Now don’t get me wrong, I absolutely prefer and love the hard in your face Dokken songs compared to the ballads (I was never a big power ballad fan), but for me it was George’s guitars that were the driving force for those songs. Once I would hear his mighty tone, chord progressions, blazing licks, etc my adrenaline would start pumping and I was ready to rock. Don’s vocals were like icing on the cake…but they were by no means “the cake”.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:54 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

LoQ wrote:
Just like Xelatunes I too was a big Dokken fan back in the day and of course Don’s voice was a contributing (be it small) factor in my love for that band. I also have seen Dokken live many times from the Tooth and Nail tours up through to the Back for the Attack tour. So I agree 100% with Xelatunes’ “studio vs live” assessment.

Don’s vocals were “pretty”, which worked fine for songs like Alone Again, Jaded Heart, Slippin’ Away, etc but when it came Dokken's heavy songs his voice was simply “ok” and IMO lacked the strength needed to really push his voice for the perfect fit. Now there is no crime in having a pretty voice in hard rock and heavy metal, after all guys like Joe Lynn Turner and Paul Rogers pull it off perfectly and are worshipped for it. However Joe and Paul also have the strength and the pipes to really deliver the heavy stuff. Don (again IMO), pulled it off…but just barely.

This was especially evident when compared to the vocal strength of his peers from that era. The most glaring evidence of this was during Hear N’ Aid’s “Stars”. Here you had all of the vocal greats of metal (at the time) in the same room performing on the same song with each verse being sung by a different vocalist, you had Ronnie James Dio, trading off with Rob Halford, trading off with Dave Meniketti, Geoff Tate, etc. As soon as it was Don’s turn at the mic, the vocals take a noticeable dip. It went from powerhouse, to powerhouse, to powerhouse, suddenly to “thin and pretty”.

Now don’t get me wrong, I absolutely prefer and love the hard in your face Dokken songs compared to the ballads (I was never a big power ballad fan), but for me it was George’s guitars that were the driving force for those songs. Once I would hear his mighty tone, chord progressions, blazing licks, etc my adrenaline would start pumping and I was ready to rock. Don’s vocals were like icing on the cake…but they were by no means “the cake”.

I dig what you're sayin' ~

I too feel the Joe Lynn Turner vibe with Don Dokken's vocals ~ however - he lacks the true soulfulness to be compared to Paul Rogers ~ Don is 100% "white boy" ~ with a strong hint of vibrato vampness ~

It was a combo plate ~ agreed ~ George's guitar playing was/is both spiritual & distinct ~ it's captivating ~ it has a comfortable rhthym ~

I need to YouTube the Hear n Aid thing ~ been a few since I've seen that ~

Peace,
V

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:44 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Just watched the HNA thing ~

I feel Don's voice was poorly showcased ~ there are "work horse" and/or some "constant belting" voices ~ well suited for hard rock/heavy metal ~ I would have had him do a great harmony vocal with another ~ or another part ~

I feel the contrast of his voice ~ pretty and angelic ~ as compared to those power songs does two things ~ detracts from his power and even technical ability at times ~ but also sets them apart ~ the contrast is "dramatic" ~ (not sure this is clearly conveyed ~ I need coffee)

Sort of "Fire and Ice" ~

Peace,
V

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:56 pm
Viking Kong

Especially when the likes of Dio was giving him some 'constructive criticism'. :|

Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:01 pm
Viking Kong

Rich wrote:
Especially when the likes of Dio was giving him some 'constructive criticism'. :|

...as seen in this behind the scenes clip (from the 1:06 mark). Ronnie was trying to convey delicately to Don that his vocals were too smooth and not agressive enough. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZxhgIYd ... re=related

Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:20 pm
Viking Kong

Am I too late for the part where I boast about my dick size?

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:07 pm
Viking Kong

Zae wrote:
Am I too late for the part where I boast about my dick size?

It's never too late for that ;) .
Tree-stump.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:22 pm
Site Admin

How to resurrect a completely dead thread, and INSTANTLY turn it into a KILLER POST HEAVEN candidate.

Regards,
Ken

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

LoQ wrote:
To quote this board’s admin…

Quote:
George Lynch has inspired countless guitar players...including Jon Levin. When you talk about influential guitar players of 80's....George is on the list.

When you talk about influential singers, Don isn't on the list. Don (and many other singers in many other bands) will never have that kind of legacy.

I said that? Fuck I'm smart. :lol:

This made me laugh in his wiki... "Dokken prefers standing in one spot on stage and is a very skilled air drummer."

Regards,
Ken

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

KenHower wrote:
I said that? Fuck I'm smart. :lol:

Sure did oh wise one :P ...

Quote:
This made me laugh in his wiki... "Dokken prefers standing in one spot on stage and is a very skilled air drummer."

That is funny AND so true!!!! :lol:

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:14 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

LoQ wrote:
Rich wrote:

...as seen in this behind the scenes clip (from the 1:06 mark). Ronnie was trying to convey delicately to Don that his vocals were too smooth and not agressive enough. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZxhgIYd ... re=related

I am trying to take a moment and get over Don Dokken's "Miami Vice" jacket ~ in this video ~ he is sexy though :wink:

His voice will never be "agressive" in spite of his technical ability including use of his range and projection ~

I went back and listened to some of "Up from the Ashes" and void of the rest of Dokken (including George's guitar & Jeff and Mick's background vocals) - I feel he is singing slightly beneath his capabilities ~ it's semi-hard rock - if that - his voice is sweet and romantic ~ not exactly Heavy Metal ~

He's not Dio ~ his voice is not coarse and haunting ~ Dio's style is instantly recognizable as he sings ever so slightly behind the beat of the music which is the mark of a great vocalist ~

There ~ ya have it :lol:

Peace,
V

Last edited by VeronicaLodge on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:23 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

KenHower wrote:
How to resurrect a completely dead thread, and INSTANTLY turn it into a KILLER POST HEAVEN candidate.

Hey Ken,

You did state it was a repost ~

Let me say ~ there was another section underneath "the list" that was posted on other websites that was funny ~
It was a list of the things that Don likes from food to music ~ :wink:

More on "Stripper Pole Rock" later ~ for now ~ I will say the term came about in Nashville, TN in a late night conversation with Bobby (Kid Rock) ~

Peace,
V

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:29 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Post Don Dokken Tidbits of Truth
It is a pleasure to be a part of the Racer X website. So many topics speaking so much truth....quite refreshing. The Don Dokken Tidbits of Truth is entertaining...and shouldn't suprise anyone who knows him even remotely well. While I respect Veroncia and her opinions....I, too, am an ex-girlfriend of a 'rocker'....and the facts stated in the blog are, sadly the truth. When a person stands at the top of a mountain and feels untouchable...it's only a matter of time before they fall.....not because someone pushed them...but because they tripped. I don't know of any woman that would request empathy for a man who physically abuses women... He is an entertainer, and does it well.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:20 am
Motorman

Post Re: Don Dokken Tidbits of Truth
um....What?

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next