View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 JASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Viking Kong

Post JASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:26 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: JASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm WAY too giddy to divulge details now...but I will later. I am still so BLOWN AWAY :D

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:28 pm
Viking Kong

Holy shit!!!!!!!! :shock:

Don't keep us hanging too long!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:01 pm
Viking Kong

Should be in music mall. Congratu-fuckin'-lations.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:28 pm
Viking Kong

You motherfucking motherfucker! :x

Actually, couldn't have happened to a better dude, Bri.

Please give details on how you arranged such an awesome feat when you have time!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:30 pm
Viking Kong

Oh, you even got to hold THE guitar!

You bitch! :x

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:31 pm
Dr. X

Wow, that's really cool!
Looking forward to hear the story behind this.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:05 am
Search Button God!

MOTHERFUCKER!!!! DETAILS !!! NOW !!!!

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:39 am
Viking Kong

Wow, that's amazing!
Can't wait to hear the details!

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
Godzilla

HOLY FUCK, MY HERO!! :o
And you are actually holding Jason's Blue Carvin DC w/ST Body Option & ''Pointy'' Headstock!!!! :shock:

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:38 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

O_O

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:49 am
Viking Kong

Ok, so the story isn't like some super sweet thing where Jason wanted to meet me or anything...I just got incredibly lucky, and have some very incredible friends!

I first heard about the Jason's Not Dead Yet benefit concert from one of my best friends from MI, Bronson. We immediately wanted to go. Of course, all the funds are going to help buy Jason a new wheelchair, fund the documentary, and etc...so I bought tickets for me and my girlfriend to go. Bronson found a page of donations for the documentary...and they were listed by level. By every level of money you donate you got something special from Jason...and at 1000$...you could meet him.

So Bronson being the guy that he is, told me that if there was anything he could do in the world, he wanted to donate a very significant amount of money for one of his biggest heroes of all time. He donated...so he got 2 "VIP" tickets. One for himself and any guest of his choice. Of course, it went to his mom (the second ticket).

I also found out my good friend Andreas from Norway (who also attended MI and graduated before us) had donated the same amount. Makes sense...Andreas and Bronson were very much best friends in school and the reason they met...was because of a Jason Becker T-shirt. It had come full circle. They would meet him together.

So he already had someone in mind to go with him to meet Jason. I was really happy for them! So Andreas flew in from Norway, and the last I saw him was my graduation. They were to come up from LA to San Jose to stay at my house for when we went to the concert.

So the day before they come up, I get a call from them, "Hey Brian, the dude that was supposed to come got the flu and cannot make it. It was supposed to be a surprise for him to meet Jason, but we want you to come."

Of course I wouldn't turn something like that up.

So they day before, we listened to Jason Becker all night, and the morning of, we listened to Jason all the way up to Richmond...to Jason's house.

His house, is small. Honestly we were shocked how small the house looked. His family owned at least two houses around his, so they could take care of him.

When we went inside, there he was. I can't find the words to describe it. You open the door, and there he was. Really, I am at a lost of what to say. There. He. Was.

The rest is a blur. I remember him telling us that he really wanted to hear us play his guitars for him...he even complimented me which at that point I broke down and could not play another note. We saw how his care takers took care of him, met his mom, his dad, his girlfriend (who was really really pretty...or "hot"). I cannot remember all the details (I'm sure it'll come slowly) but I remember being in so much shock that I didn't say much. I did tell him a very personal story of how his story and music influenced me and my girlfriend's lives in a very profound way...I'm very glad I could tell him in person.

I do remember when I was taking the picture above, I was very shy and wasn't sure how close I should get to him. He kept telling me to get closer and closer, and upon me taking baby steps, cracked a joke and said he "had a crush" on me. I eventually got close and we took two photos.

I held/played almost all his famous guitars. The blue Carvin...the perpetual burn cd cover guitar...the guitar he actually recorded the album with (a white hot rodded strat)...the numbers guitar...the yo-yo guitar...and also the paradise remake of his numbers guitar (which played awesome if any of you are interested in buying one). All the strings on the guitars...were incredibly old and out of tune...but...I can't help but imagine how long those guitar strings really were.

He hHe WANTED us to hold them and play them...which was one of the greatest honor ever.

My friend Andreas presented a painting he made of Jason (I can see if I can get a pic of it sometime to post) for a present. They were absolutely thrilled. The most beautiful thing was seeing Jason smile.

His dad Gary was so impressed, that he took us to his private studio after our alotted Jason visiting time was over. We were actually there for over an hour but were only supposed to stay for 30 minutes. They were super generous. I think the painting convinced them to let us stay even longer. Anyway, Gary showed us his studio (which is also where the Jason Paganini video was filmed...) and his paintings, told us more about Jason, how his paintings reflect his outlook on life and etc. After that, we walked into his house which was right next door to Jason and BOOM.

Steve Hunter making bagels/breakfast with his wife.

Crazy.

We then left and wandered San Fran until the concert started...it was awesome! Jude Gold (director of GIT) and his Van Halen tribute band "Hot For a Teacher" played a few Van Halen tunes, and then closed with "It's Showtime!". One of the best tribute bands I have ever seen...they play a lot in the bay area and LA I think, so guys that live here should check em out.

Other notable guys that played...

Micheal Lee Firkins...Holy shit. No words to describe it. He was amazing, and did justice to 2 hendrix tunes and that one instrumental which name escapes me at the moment. But it's on youtube and is his "hit".

Greg Howe...Richie Kotzen...Joe Satch...

MARTY FRIEDMAN. Special guest appearance...was a complete surprise to almost everyone (Jason told us that Marty would be there as a unnamed guest). He was absolutely amazing...

It was an awesome night, and the coolest part....I was standing next to Jason almost the entire concert. You could see his facial expressions during the entire thing...my girlfriend who didn't get to come in and meet him was floored!

At the very end of the night, she actually got to meet him as well. She told him our story once again to which he raised his eyebrows multiple times (a "yes" from Jason...he remembered what I told him) and got a pic with him.

It was incredible. It feels like I was black out drunk and only very specific parts of that night are things I can recall...I'm sure there's more super epic awesomeness that I haven't said/remembered...but man...once in a lifetime. I'm still stunned...

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:08 am
Viking Kong

Incredible.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 am
Viking Kong

That is amazing!
You really do have some incredible friends!

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Luckyyyyyy :D :D :D Congrats, mate!

Jason has been an inspiration too. FYI: When I was interviewed in med school, I told them about Jason's story. I told them that the physical world won't stop me from doing the things I want to do.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:22 pm
God Of The Sun

OMG so amazing, must have been the best day of your life

I'm jelly

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:20 pm
Viking Kong

Incredible. Amazing. It's actually a big dream of mine to; just to meet him. What an incredible experience this must've been! Congratulations mate; and must I say that's it's indeed well deserved!

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm
God Of The Sun

Thats absolutely beautiful man

It couldnt have happened to a better guy :)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

Amazing story. Congrats man!

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:23 pm
Viking Kong

Holy crap! That's wonderful. I just hope that I get to experience something like that one day.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next