View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 My Custom Ibanez Epiphone 
Viking Kong

Post Re: My Custom Ibanez Epiphone
That is darn near the most thorough explanation of lacquer & it's effects that I think I've read!
I am now no longer in the dark on this.

I've considered re-painting 1 or more of my guitars, & when the time comes, I will have to refer to this paragraph, LoQ!

Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:20 am
Godzilla

LoQ wrote:
Lady Killer wrote:
But this one is Cellulose... :| I've heard some bad things about it...Before I go ahead with it, what do you guys think about using Cellulose Paint to finish guitars? :?

When you say "cellulose" I'm assuming you are referring to nitrocellulose lacquer. Nitrocellulose is considered the ideal finish for guitars, it has a beautiful crisp shine, and is pretty much the best when it comes to preserving it’s sound (because nitro is a thinner lacquer, it allows the wood to breathe and age). As it ages, nitrocellulose lacquer hardens, that hardening is part of what gives old guitars that "vintage tone". It's what Gibson uses on their guitars (and what Fender used to use years ago, although they have brought back nitro finshes on some of their road worn guitars, and some of their custom models).

However nitrocellulose lacquer yellows over the years with age, and even quicker if exposed to direct sunlight, smokey bars, etc for prolonged periods of time (Gibson even includes documentation with their guitars warning vendors to not display Gibson guitars in direct sunlight because of the fact that sunlight will cause the nitro finish to yellow prematurely).

So for tonal quality, using a nitro finish is the way to go. However if you are going for an accurate reproduction, odds are the original had a polyurethane finish since that is what Ibanez mostly uses for their guitars. It’s an inexpensive alternative which doesn’t yellow like nitro does, however sound-wise it’s not as good. A polyurethane finish basically encases the guitar in a plastic shell.

Thanks LoQ, good info! :D
Yes I'd rather preserve the color, the place where the paint was obtained apparently offers Base Color too, will that be a more ideal paint to use?? :?

Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:09 am
Viking Kong

Glad I could help guys. :) The best way to tell tell if the original Ibanez Epiphone used a poly or nitro finish would be to see how it looks today. If the color is still pink, then I would bet on it being a poly finish. If it has a nitro finish that pink guitar would be more of a peach color today.

Here is a good example. A couple of months ago Lenny Kravitz was featured in Guitar Aficionado magazine on the cover he's holding a green vintage Gibson SG. However in the interview he states that the SG is actually blue. It's the nitro finish that turned yellow over the past 40 to 50 years, that caused the original blue color to turn into green.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:44 pm
Godzilla

I see, I can't believe I forgot about it aging! :oops:
Cool story about the SG! 8)

So LoQ, will ''Base Color'' paint be OK if I don't want it to age??
I am not sure if Base Color is the same as Poly...I heard the Base Color is 2 pack.
I just stripped my RG body for the Telesavalas project and it was a tough finish to remove after 24 years! :x

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:16 pm
Viking Kong

I don't think its only nitro that yellows. My PGM 200 looks greenish because the clear coat has yellowed. I'm pretty sure they use poly on most RG's. I'm pretty sure my 300 has yellowed some as well. Its currently in storage so I can't check right now.

If you look next to the neck you can see the lighter blue where the clear has chipped away.

Its not unusual for older Pelham blue Gibsons like the one that Lenny Kravits is holding to become greenish. From what I have read newer gibsons don't yellow as easily. There is more plasticiser in the nitro that keeps it clear.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:58 pm
Viking Kong

Is it possible to wipe off the coating so the original color shows up?

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:14 am
Profile YIM
Godzilla

Any of you know what does someone like Ibanez use to seal the wood before they prime/paint it?
Something that can be brushed on to the wood to harden it and at the same time seal it to give a good surface for painting.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:43 pm
Dr. X

Sir Robin wrote:
Is it possible to wipe off the coating so the original color shows up?

You'd have to sand it. The thing is i dont know if it would be just a thin layer of clear that has yellowed or all of it right down to the paint. i would probably try it if i had a 200 though :D

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:13 pm
Viking Kong

Lady Killer wrote:
So LoQ, will ''Base Color'' paint be OK if I don't want it to age??
I am not sure if Base Color is the same as Poly...I heard the Base Color is 2 pack.

I honestly don't know. Sorry :(

xjustice09x wrote:
From what I have read newer gibsons don't yellow as easily. There is more plasticiser in the nitro that keeps it clear.

That could be, it would have to apply to new Gibsons within the past to 5 to 8 years though. My alpine white Les Paul custom that I bought brand new back in 2003-2004 was as white as white can be, within two years some of that white was turning cream due to the nitro finish. Parts of it now are at the very begining stage of turning yellow.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:44 pm
Viking Kong

Then you can actually be your avatar :)

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:06 pm
Godzilla

Here is a snap I took a few minutes ago of the NEW Pink paint, it looks really cool!! 8)
I used 3 undercoats Clear (just sanding sealer), Grey Primer (the one I used before...) and White Primer...
As you can see the white primer kicks ass!! :twisted:
I shat myself when I put the first line of paint on, it looked so 80's! :shock: :mrgreen:
Compared to the old pink it looks much richer, almost fluorescent! :D
Another thing I am pleased about is that the white primes hasn't cracked yet, the grey one already has 2 cracks...
Later on today I will spray it with 2 Pack Lacquer to see how that will look.

It looks like Paul had a white undercoat too:

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:03 pm
Motorman

So would that mean to get that fluorescent/Neon look out of the color you would have to use White primer? Not just for Paul's Pink ibanez Epiphone but for Bruce's orange guitars and the Green Ibanez Epiphone.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:52 pm
Godzilla

Racer X wrote:
So would that mean to get that fluorescent/Neon look out of the color you would have to use White primer? Not just for Paul's Pink ibanez Epiphone but for Bruce's orange guitars and the Green Ibanez Epiphone.

It just looks more ''HOT'' than the previous color. I will probably be using the white primer for the other projects, yes. It ''behaves'' better that the grey, it is a different brand thought...

More pics to come soon...

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 pm
Godzilla

Well here is the lacquered paint, came out very nice, a very close match too! :D
I will wait for a few days for the paint to cure and check for any reactions, I really hope I don't get any... :(
Well all I can do now is wait for the ''Base Color'' can to arrive. I will probably start stripping the old pink paint and grey primer off soon and let it breathe!!

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:46 pm
is the Siren's Eye

thanks for the message i hope the guitar comes out great

Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:44 pm
Search Button God!

Update?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:43 pm
Godzilla

Lamer wrote:
Update?

No updates at the moment.
I am planning to resume it in a month or two.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:55 pm
Godzilla

Just a little update.

The Epi project is slowly taking off again. I stripped ALL the paint, down to the wood and cleaned it up. It’s nearly ready to be re-primed, I’ll do it white this time. And this time I have the pink paint I need, it’s the real deal, custom pink acrylic paint that comes in a rattle can so no need for a spray gun to achieve a professional finish. It’s very close to Paul's so can’t ask for more! :mrgreen:

Comparing the pink color to Paul’s Epi and Iceman...

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 pm
Superhero

Don't photos vary wildly from actual colour?

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:27 pm
Godzilla

Mr MUTTLEY! wrote:
Don't photos vary wildly from actual colour?

Lets hope not. :roll:
I assume the photos were taken in good lighting as oppose to a dark stage...anyway that's the color I'm going with. I don't have access to the actual thing so I have no choice but to go with this...which I'm more that happy with.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next