View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Recording demo EP 
Godzilla

Post Recording demo EP
I've been working on writing an EP (currently have guitar and lyrics written for 2 songs), and I have finally put together a band with a couple of mates (drummer, a bassist/rhythm guitarist and a potential singer). Thing is we're not sure what's the best way to go about recording a rough EP to help get our stuff heard. We're gonna get a lot of practice down before hand obviously.

2 hours of studio time would cost us £66 but we get like 2 hours in the practice room for free. I don't know how much we could get tracked in that time or anything. Is this the best option considering it's going to be hard to track drums if we try and go about it without a studio?

The other option would be to buy some form of interface for running it through a pc and recording. But I don't really know anything about those either (costs or what to get), and I forsee recording drums to be a struggle that way.

Any suggestions, advice, thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:42 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: Recording demo EP
I don't know much about recording either, but a decent mic in the middle of them room can sound OK if you're lucky!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:52 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

we needed about 3 hours to get the drums down on 4 tracks

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

:? In that case a studio will be expensive. I'm assuming you had all the drums written before hand?

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:13 pm
God Of The Sun

yeah totally

drums are very expensive to record, this may not appeal, but the best thing you can do is get your drummer to program his parts using superior drummer and their samples

its all about getting the best result possible, and thats the best option

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

It all depends on the quality you're looking for, I guess.
Last time I recorded, my brother took about 20 minutes to get used to playing drums to a click track but after that it probably took about 35 minutes to get 3 songs down and then we touched a few bits up on the computer (easily done when recorded to a click track) before carrying on with the rest of the band.
Being 100% prepared is always good. Bass was recorded in one take, rhythm parts only took 2 takes max which left ages to get solos and vocals spot on.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:09 am
Profile YIM WWW
God Of The Sun

MissMisstreater wrote:
yeah totally

drums are very expensive to record, this may not appeal, but the best thing you can do is get your drummer to program his parts using superior drummer and their samples

its all about getting the best result possible, and thats the best option

^^yes, or if you have a e-drumset (midi drumset) then you could get the drummers actual playing with the Toontrack sounds

if you've never recorded anything, chances are that the guitarsounds, mixing, vocals won't come out too great

so you could e.g. save studio time by doing the drums with the midi drums and record everything else in a studio etc.
but that's just one way

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 am
Godzilla

I think we just have to practice like hell and make sure we have everything nailed down tight before we hit the studio. We have to use proper drums, we came to the decision if we're gonna do this at all it has to be done properly.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:29 am
Godzilla

Finally began practicing as a band now we have a few songs we can work on. This brings me to a new question:

Our bassist is pretty much new to the instrument and he's more used to playing rhythm guitar, and as such is pretty much relying on me to write his bass parts then teach them to him. Thing is I've never played bass in my life and don't own one, so his parts amount to little more than following the basic rhythm guitar's root notes and throwing in some harmonics at parts to make them slightly more interesting. I was just wondering is anyone had any advice for writing some more interesting bass parts, or is the method we're following probably the best way?

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:54 pm
Viking Kong

Find some bands with a style you are aiming for who have awesome bassists and make him learn their songs! Even if he nicks a couple of licks for your songs, it will help the learning curve!

Though I guess if you have 2 guitarists playing interesting things, like Racer X for instance, you may want simpler bass lines that hold the groove and then he can put in some awesome licks as and when required. Juan Alderete is a master of this.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]