View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Gibson to Reproduce Classic Randy Rhoads Les Paul 
Viking Kong

Post Gibson to Reproduce Classic Randy Rhoads Les Paul
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/N ... oads-0823/

Well I was wondering how long it would be until Gibson did this. It will be one of the easiest signature models ever because Randy’s Les Paul Custom was stock with the exception of the brass pickup selector ring, engraved pickguard, selector switch cap, and the truss rod cover. I’m assuming that Gibson will age the nitro finish so the white will be an aged yellow-cream color. All of these extra “custom add-ons” will cost Gibson very little (probabally under $20.00) yet I'm willing to bet that Gibson will charge around 10 grand for it. No thank you! :roll:

I have a Gibson Alpine White Les Paul Custom that over the years has been turning to a yellow/cream color. If I want to make it a Randy Rhoads Les Paul Custom I’ll simply change out my black speed knobs to gold, get a brass pickup selector ring, truss rod cover, get "Randy Rhoads" engraved on my pickguard, etc and volia’ I’m done!

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:51 pm
Search Button God!

Post Re: Gibson to Reproduce Classic Randy Rhoads Les Paul
You're The 80's Hair Metal God. You're making your axe better just by playing it ;)

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:30 pm
Dr. X

I hate when giant guitar companies can do crap like this, I will forgive anyone when they mass produce a fireman model, until then, I HATE ALL OF THEM, RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TROLL.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:47 am
Viking Kong

I think you're right, LoQ. Their 'custom' mods would probably cost them under $20.

Aside from a few lawyers etc. rushing to buy them, Gibson must not have gotten the memo that we're in a pretty serious recession. :roll:
It's almost insulting......

No, it is insulting.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:39 am
Motorman

Typical Gibson style......

Does anyone actually buy new Gibsons anymore anyway except for collectors/hobby players that really don't need a players axe? They are so expensive these days and the worksmenship isn't that great.....

Still, even with a recision, they still seem to be able to sell guitars!!!!

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:08 am
Viking Kong

Well, it's a step in the right direction after the Hendrix 'Strat' and piano...!

Completely agree about the expected lunacy pricing.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
AussiePGFan wrote:
Does anyone actually buy new Gibsons anymore anyway except for collectors/hobby players that really don't need a players axe? They are so expensive these days and the worksmenship isn't that great.....

Yeah...I just bought one and did not pay a dime over $1000 for it. And it actually is one of my favorite guitars...next only to my #1 Les Paul Studio.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Sean Pierce wrote:
AussiePGFan wrote:

Yeah...I just bought one and did not pay a dime over $1000 for it. And it actually is one of my favorite guitars...next only to my #1 Les Paul Studio.

Must be just an Aus thing, because Gibsons over here, even bottom line SG's, don't go for anything less than 2K (which is about 1700 USD)........

Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:20 am
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Most Gibsons are notoriously expensive, true.
But I honestly prefer the "lower" end models like the Les Paul Studio. I just feel like that have a more "working man's" vibe and are great guitars, made in the USA for a good price.

But import costs are ridiculous. I have a friend in the UK who bought a Mesa Dual Rectifier in the US for around $1800-$2000 because in the UK it costs about $4000 after import costs.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:43 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

I'm a strat guy, but lately I've really been wanting a real Les Paul because I've been digging Marc Ford's playing a lot, and Gary Moore too, but they're too expensive for me. It's slightly painful. Unfortunately I don't really like the aesthetics of the LP studios either.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:19 am
Viking Kong

Sean Pierce wrote:
import costs are ridiculous. I have a friend in the UK who bought a Mesa Dual Rectifier in the US for around $1800-$2000 because in the UK it costs about $4000 after import costs.

Tell me about it! I refuse to buy pedals or guitars here in Brazil. I got a USED Marshal AVT150 for about US$1000. If I wanted to get a GH50L (the amp I dream of every day), I'd spend about US$2000, while they go for half the price in the US.

The Zakk Wylde Gibson here cost more than 7500 dolars! It's fuckn' ridiculous!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:15 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Epiphone Les Paul customs are a great alternative, play every bit as good as a Gibson, and can be found for $700, give or take.

I'm just sayin'..........

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:29 pm
Viking Kong

Gibson can make decently priced gutiars, but choose not to most of the time.

This year they made a limited run of Les Paul Studio 50's tribute guitars. They have P90's and PRS style binding where the edges of the maple top aren't painted or stained over. Its available in 5 finishes (the gold top is my favorite). Stores were taking preorders for $849. The popular finishes sold out really quick. If they made it a standard model instead of a limited run they could sell way more. Many dealers took more preorders than the number of guitars they are actually getting.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:36 pm
Viking Kong

AussiePGFan wrote:
Sean Pierce wrote:
AussiePGFan wrote:

Must be just an Aus thing, because Gibsons over here, even bottom line SG's, don't go for anything less than 2K (which is about 1700 USD)........

I got an SG Zoot Suit 3-4 weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. My only concern is the bridge saddles being too edgy, so I've changed strings a lot; haven't gotten around to fixing it, yet! :lol:

Nontheless, I think Gibson has become cheesy in many ways. I recently played the Appetite For Destruction-LP, and it was horrible (not to mention the neat price of 2500-3000$).

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:34 am
Viking Kong

Rich wrote:
I think you're right, LoQ. Their 'custom' mods would probably cost them under $20.

Aside from a few lawyers etc. rushing to buy them, Gibson must not have gotten the memo that we're in a pretty serious recession. :roll:
It's almost insulting......

No, it is insulting.

Damn Lawyers !!! :x

:twisted:

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:57 pm
Superhero

As a lawyer, I too will be rushing to buy this.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:38 pm
Viking Kong

SambaBoy wrote:
Nontheless, I think Gibson has become cheesy in many ways. I recently played the Appetite For Destruction-LP, and it was horrible (not to mention the neat price of 2500-3000$).

Yeah and the irony of it all is that Slash didn’t even play a Gibson Les Paul when recording Appetite For Destruction. His guitar was actually a replica of a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard built for him by a luthier named Chris Derrig. So Gibson actually made a replica of a replica of a Gibson Les Paul (which is why you'll notice that Gibson labels that particular Slash model as "inspired by")

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:31 pm
Viking Kong

LoQ wrote:
Yeah and the irony of it all is that Slash didn’t even play a Gibson Les Paul when recording Appetite For Destruction. His guitar was actually a replica of a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard built for him by a luthier named Chris Derrig. So Gibson actually made a replica of a replica of a Gibson Les Paul (which is why you'll notice that Gibson labels that particular Slash model as "inspired by")

The Gibson website lists the AFD LP as an artist model, not inspired by. But in reality inspired by and artist models are pretty much the same thing.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:54 pm
Viking Kong

Nitefly wrote:
As a lawyer, I too will be rushing to buy this.

:lol:
Well good on you, then.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:45 am
Viking Kong

LoQ wrote:
SambaBoy wrote:

Exactly! :lol: Kids all around the world are gonna buy this, thinking they'll get that Sweet Child intro-tone, when what they really get is a LP-tone for half the price. The one I played might just be a bad "unit" though, but still.

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next