View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Quiet Riot Documentary coming..... 
Viking Kong

Post Quiet Riot Documentary coming.....
FORTHCOMING QUIET RIOT DOCUMENTARY TO GO BEHIND THE SCENES CIRCA CRAZED 'METAL HEALTH' ERA:
Without a doubt, THE heavy metal success story of the early '80s was none other than Quiet Riot. After years of struggling in LA clubs (despite legendary guitarist Randy Rhoads being in their ranks throughout the '70s), the classic QR line-up of Kevin DuBrow (vocals), Frankie Banali (drums), Rudy Sarzo (bass), and Carlos Cavazo (guitar) hit mega-success with their first-ever US release in 1983, the classic 'Metal Health.' Spawning two hit singles that have gone on to become synonymous with heavy metal - "Cum On Feel the Noize" and "Metal Health" - the 'Metal Health' album went on to become the first-ever metal US debut to hit the #1 spot on the Billboard album charts, and resulted in a solid year of sold-out shows and non-stop MTV video airplay.
Despite this being an absolute standout era of the band's career, very little substantial video documentation has surfaced. That is...until now. Banali is in the midst of constructing a full-length/behind-the-scenes/warts-and-all documentary about the group (the first-ever solely about QR), which will focus on this aforementioned era, but also, recount QR's entire story - from the first time DuBrow and Banali crossed paths in January 1980, through DuBrow's untimely passing in November of 2007.
The video footage - directly from Banali's archives - will include the aforementioned performance in 1980 through some of the last shows QR played, including footage of their Rocklahoma performance in 2007. Additional video footage captures QR in many phases, including a 1982 performance of "DuBrow" (a short-lived name Quiet Riot went by in the early '80s), with DuBrow, Banali, bassist Chuck Wright (Sarzo was playing in Ozzy Osbourne's band at the time), and Cavazo's first video performance with the band, his second total. Also included will be live performances, backstage footage, sound checks, studio sessions, and interviews - most of which has never been seen.
Banali has already invested money into the project, and to make the documentary reach its full potential, he is having an online fundraiser that ends September 2nd. Fans are being called upon to help back the project, and lend a hand in its completion. Also via the aforementioned link is a list of the different increments you can pledge - all of which give rewards of QR-related merchandise, and as the pledge amount increases, so do the rewards (including such simply awesome items as an autographed QR photo that includes the late DuBrow's signature, a personal drum lesson with Banali in LA, dinner with Banali at the Rainbow in LA, your own personalized 'Metal Health' platinum CD award, your name in the film's credits, amongst many other cool opportunities).
As Banali says, "The moment my friend Kevin DuBrow died, my life and career went from sixty to zero with his final breath." But now, DuBrow and Quiet Riot will receive a much-deserved video retrospective, that will leave no stone unturned. Get ready to bang your head and feel the noize once more!
The first stages of putting the documentary together are now underway, and a "teaser" clip of what to expect has been posted via this link: kck.st/9TXAiA.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/795871699/frankie-banali-quiet-riot-documentary-0

8)

Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:24 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: Quiet Riot Documentary coming.....
Grrrr!!!!!!! Gonna need one of the Mods to fix the link since I can't EDIT!!!

:x

Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:28 pm
Godzilla

It's about time.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:13 pm
Unt! I move topics!

Xelatunes wrote:
Grrrr!!!!!!! Gonna need one of the Mods to fix the link since I can't EDIT!!!

:x

Done.

I gotta say, Quiet Riot to me is heavy metal's one hit wonder. They only had one great song that they actually wrote (Metal Health) and their only true "hit" was a cover. The debut album was decent, but there were so many better metal albums that came out in that era ... if you listen to that record in the context of the other metal albums of the era, it's really hard to imagine why that record went to #1 and so many others didn't. And the follow up record was really weak.

If you go to Metal Sludge, you see countless threads discussing all the great metal records of the 80's (Appetite for Destruction, Shout at the Devil, High N Dry, Screaming for Vengeance, Heaven and Hell, Number of the Beast, etc.) - nobody ever talks about Metal Health. That record was very overrated in the 80's and I doubt more than a handful of people ever pull it out and listen to it today.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I think QR was popular because they were more commercial than other metal bands so MTV liked them and they got more airplay because they were "safer" than everything else that was out at the time, meaning they did corny "rock anthems" about partying and weren't talking about the devil, or death, or evil, or suicide, or "fucking like a beast", etc, etc....... I lump them in the same category as Twisted Sister... But I actually liked QR and to this day I could never get into TS, they were just beyond ridiculous in my book....

:|

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:26 am
King Of The Monsters

I dig QR.

Looking forward to this.

Image Image

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I wish more was being done to inform the general public about the Randy Rhoads era of Quiet Riot.

It's like a lot of people seem to think Ozzy is the first and only gig Randy ever had. It's just plain exasperating to me.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:58 pm
Superhero

Very average band.
Would Rhoads have made it if he stayed in QR?

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:52 am
Godzilla

Mr MUTTLEY! wrote:
Very average band.
Would Rhoads have made it if he stayed in QR?

That's a hypothetical situation.

It brings up the question: Where would Quiet Riot have gone if Randy Rhoads had stayed with them?

Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]