View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Has Paul Gilbert abandoned the PGM series? 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post Re: Has Paul Gilbert abandoned the PGM series?
Alright he did use the PGM400 a bit and of course the double neck PGM. But the fact is Paul really digs the fireman. I think they're unique to him and give him the feel, look, and sound he wants right now. I'm sure Paul will always be surrounded by his PGMs but with something like... 5? Fireman guitars he now has it seems they could satisfy his needs. As far as his new cd.. Paul has said it's 100% fireman. So he abandoned PGMs on that album... as far as if he's abandoned them live.. time will tell.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Queen Dork of the board

Too bad none of you paid attention to my first post.

Abandon is such a strong word... it's much more like "chose not to utilize". Paul has... 87? guitars to choose from to record any given album. If Paul truly abandoned (= departed for good, left permanently) his signature series from his largest endorser, don't you think it would be in the actual music news / genuine music press, and not just a topic to chew on, in this subforum? It would represent quite a significant change for him. Much more then an amp divorce!

Yesterday I had a ton of pictures of Paul with his current production model, the PGM 401 on his clinic tour and Mr. Big tour (very late 2009) but Flickr changed their policy and no longer allows "hotlinks". It was too much trouble just to make a point on this forum, so I didn't.

You guys complain too much. First you wanted a budget Fireman so Paul goes out and gets one made to tease you with... now you say he's abandoned his regular-shaped PGM's. I venture to say the same thing would happen if he put out a new Racer X record - it wouldn't be dissonant or heavy enough for you guys, so there would be complaints... the job is never finished!

Wait until his tour this autumn/winter to hang him out to dry, eh?

(I was hoping he would have 4 Firemen on the tour, too. It's such an unusual guitar and a pleasant change of pace from the usual "artist playing RG-shape guitar." to look at. The Korina, Kikusui, and the red one... the cherry-top one would be a nice extra. *sigh*)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:04 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

flying-dino wrote:
I venture to say the same thing would happen if he put out a new Racer X record - it wouldn't be dissonant or heavy enough for you guys!

In my opinion this is wayy off base. Have you heard Racer X? Dissonant Racer X is never, heavy... please see the case in point album Getting Heavier. And check out the newest RX thread in the Racer X forum titled "Getting Heavier." Looking at threads past (I mean yearsssss past) everyone HATED it because it wasn't heavy enough and everything. Now I'm very happy to see people are able to hear it for what it is.. a fantastic album! I absolutely believe, without a doubt, enforced by the fact that Getting Heavier was created, that your embittered statement is completely wrong.

It is not Jenn and Paul against the world.

If these kind of simple and innocent discussions offend then I think it'd be best to hold back from posting. Maybe I'm crazy, but I detected 5 points in your last post which could definitely offend any overly sensitive board members.

I really hope it doesn't look like I'm trying to bring back some kind of hate on Flying Dino band wagon which I'm glad is gone, but I just need to say something. Read your last post and ask yourself how necessary it was. Whether anyone else agrees or disagrees with me this isn't the place to further discuss it so please have more respect than I have.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

@Eric: To sum up: GH is different but in no way less kickass than the rest of the albums.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:03 am
God Of The Sun

its common knowledge that jenn is more interested in the jewelery Paul wears than the albums hes made in years gone by...

Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:30 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

Alrighty, we can go ahead and cut that out now.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:32 pm
Viking Kong

I don't understand why Paul playing another kind of guitar would make people upset. It's like Yngwie switching to Seymour Duncs. Who gives a shit as long as his playing/tone is still good?

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:26 am
Superhero

PPL are just used Paul playing PGMs, and then again many people bought a PGM because Paul played them, and now they're like wtf? oO

It's just something everyone will get over in their own time ;)

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

He still uses the PGM's at like clinics right?

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:15 pm
God Of The Sun

For me, PGM's don't necessarily have to be an RG with F-Holes. I like the variety.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:25 pm
Dr. X

I don't post here often, but in the last 5 years, I've seen a load of players on this board swear by one piece of gear and over the course of a year or two will switch to another amp/guitar/pedal to suit their playing style. The Fireman is a new toy for Paul that has helped him mature as a player in terms of tone and feel, but he can still rip it up on the guitar. Given that he constantly refers to the term 'tweaking' when it comes to gear, something tells me at some point he'll go back to the original PGM design and tweak it for some other purpose.

I like that he has stayed loyal to Ibanez, unlike some endorsees who jump from company to company. Fair play to him for experimenting within the confines of the same company he's been with for the last 20 years, he could have just as easily switched to a company more renowned for thick necked tone machines.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:31 am
Superhero

You would actually sell your pgms just because Paul doesn't use them would you? I still think the pgm301 is the coolest guitar I have ever seen, simple just delightfully pimp.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 pm
Superhero

Refried Bean wrote:
I don't understand why Paul playing another kind of guitar would make people upset. It's like Yngwie switching to Seymour Duncs. Who gives a shit as long as his playing/tone is still good?

+1

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:12 pm
Search Button God!

Refried Bean wrote:

ivygilbert sold all his PGM's because Paul never thanked him for buying them and didn't respond to any of his emails. People are weird.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:35 pm
Viking Kong

lolwat

The RG styled PGMs weren't anything that special either. They were RGs with class. But still RGs. It's like a really well made sports hatchback. It's still kinda a hatchback. Not quite the rear drive sports powerhouse that car-lovers drool over.

Just saying the Fireman oozes galaxies more class.

Though the PGM10th is still one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. Kinda wish there was a PGM20th.

Or perhaps that's the Fireman.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:40 am
Viking Kong

Zae wrote:

The RG styled PGMs weren't anything that special either.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :o

YOU DIDN'T SAY THAT!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:58 am
Profile YIM
Dr. X

[quote="Zae"Kinda wish there was a PGM20th. Or perhaps that's the Fireman.[/quote]

No, the 20th was the PGM100 reissue.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:56 pm
Viking Kong

silentbob777 wrote:
[quote="Zae"Kinda wish there was a PGM20th. Or perhaps that's the Fireman.

No, the 20th was the PGM100 reissue.[/quote]

No, I don't think so. That would be an abomination to be called a 20th. I refuse to call it a real PGM20th. It's forever and always PGM100RE to me.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:56 pm
Dr. X

Zae wrote:
No, I don't think so. That would be an abomination to be called a 20th. I refuse to call it a real PGM20th. It's forever and always PGM100RE to me.

Not to Ibanez... :)

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:37 pm
Viking Kong

Well, that simply says it's the PGM's 20th anniversary.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next