View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Alternate picking advide? 
Dr. X

Post Alternate picking advide?
Watched this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M

Sorry I can't take a video of my picking but my thumb is actually starting to ache a little bit and the vains on the back of my hand beneath my knuckles are buldging out. My thumb is angled either straight or even sometimes bent in. but never really arched like Paul does in the video. My pick is on the side of my pointer finger and I'm extremely frustrated.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:59 am
Viking Kong

Post Re: Alternate picking advide?
Can you take a picture at least of what your pick hand looks like?

It sounds like you're putting a lot of strain on your pick hand. However that being said, my thumb is also either straight or curves inwards as opposed to bent like Pauls, and the pick also rests on the side of my pointer finger. I can pick fine, but if this is hurting you in the long run then you need to change picking styles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb5zvbL-hnw

If you're putting strain on your hand due to over practicing (it happened to me a couple weeks ago, had to wear a brace because my arm was so tense), then stop playing. Always stretch before you play.

Now, you're saying you have a problem with alternate picking...is your pick hand all that bothers you? Or is it also your speed/accuracy?

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:00 pm
Dr. X

I can play pretty accurately but nothing to raise your eye brows at, Speed wise, I don't know I'm not really that slow, but I feel like I could have better technique.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:55 am
Viking Kong

Well with all things its the practice of repetition.

I'd practice really short bursts of speed and trying to get that to where you want it. Small licks.

---------7-9-10-
-7-9-10---------

Like that, to a metronome. Then bring it to a larger scale run.

Here's how I practiced alternate picking through scales like the video I posted. I started practicing "sections" of a scale. This is an exercise I made for ME, so it might not work with other people as well. I might make a video of this in the near future.

Metronome speed:
Play all of this at a metronome speed that is challenging, but not impossible. This will force you to practice a lot, but not give up due to it being ridiculously hard. This exercise is way too easy at a slower speed, so you need to practice it at something that is hard but do-able (do that with EVERYTHING). I know people say start at a slower speed, screw that! Do it at a speed that you can ALMOST do, but you still can't do it completely right. This is where you should start IMO because this is where you will just get better and faster. Learn to fix your mistakes at high speed (like Shawn Lane).

-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
---------7-8-10-
-7-8-10---------

When I got that, then I added one more "section"...btw I realize this is very based on patterns, but this is just to help technique. When you add this next section, it starts adding odd feeling string crossing to the mix. This is what most people have problems with. (Most people are fine with the 6 notes on two strings, but when you add the next note grouping on the next string it seems to mess people up). People will start to see their time fluctuate as they try to cross the string to complete the next pattern.

---------------------------------------------------------
-----------------7-9-10----------------------------------
---------7-8-10------------------------------------------
-7-8-10--------------------------------------------------

Then when you have this perfect...then add the next group of notes. With the string crossing above, I find it really helps if you move your hand a little more drastically when you're switching string groups. The next one is an easier one because it's just two of the same thing (the the top one perfect first).

-------------------------7-9-10--------------------------

Then the next, this one can be a bitch, specially at higher speeds.

---------------------------------8-10-12----------------

and the next

------------------------------------------8-10-12-------
---------------------------------8-10-12----------------

So this exercise just exercises the ability to cross strings efficiently (do not move to the next string grouping till you can do it SMOOTHLY). It's a very basic idea for sure. Crossing from the A to D string and from G to B are the toughest in this entire exercise. Trying to keep speed and accuracy is also very difficult while trying to make sure the string crossing between the said strings smooth. Do this to a metronome. Once you master this at a good speed, it will make you a much more efficient picker.

Do this exercise with sextuplets. This will get very hard at higher tempos.

And when you get this down, then you do it backwards! It feels completely different and is a whole other exercise. Don't think that you are done with alt picking just yet... Start with the first two top strings, then come down...Then when you can go all the way down very comfortably at a good speed that you are satisfied with, then practice going UP the scale then down again. Also do the opposite!

I felt like this was great for me to develop my alt picking technique and just make traversing the neck and strings much more comfortable.

I hope this helps with speed and technique. It's a simple idea, but for guitar its necessary. I mean, with piano players they have to practice crossing hand over hand during fast arpeggiated sequences and scale runs...we need to practice string crossing and pick hand movement, just going up and down. It's a pain but we need to.

Anyway, I hope that helped some of you.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:16 am
Superhero

Absolutely fantastic post ^^

Deserves some recognition! That's all :)

PGM301
Laney GH100L > Orange 2x12

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:40 am
Dr. X

Wow that is indeed a lessson I should pay for, thank you my good man.

But sorry I'm broke XD

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:08 pm
Viking Kong

Haah. It's cool bro, I hope it really did help.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]