View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Decisions, Decisions... 
Dr. X

Post Decisions, Decisions...
Ok, so i'm not a particularly wealthy guy, so i am VERY picky with my money.
I thought i could use some advice from the guys here because everybody (seems) to know what they're talking about.

I'm looking in investing in a Pgm, i have never played one before and it seems like a great investment.

However i have not yet made a decision on which Pgm i would like.
I could also use some advice on the tremelo systems that are on some of the pgms,
Is the lo-pro edge reliable? How much tone do you REALLY lose when using one.

Bare in mind i have never owned a guitar with a locking tremelo before. (I have a les paul with a fixed bridge and a strat-copy with a non locking trem)

Also, any suggestions to a first Pgm? (I know how you all feel on the reissues so lets not go too far down that road)

And lastly,

Should i even get a Pgm?

The MAJOR choice for me is:

Macbook Pro with intel core i5 processor VS PGM

Remember i am very tight with how i spend my money!

Thank you in advance.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:36 am
Dr. X

Post Re: Decisions, Decisions...
What guitar(s) do u have at the moment?

Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:45 am
Dr. X

thebooshisloose wrote:
(I have a les paul with a fixed bridge and a strat-copy with a non locking trem)

Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:55 am
Viking Kong

It depends on how bad you want the guitar or the Mac.

I've only played my 2005 PGM 301, newq neck profile, and I must say it's one of the sweetest guitars I've ever played. I've played top notch Gibsons, Fenders, PRSs, Jacksons and other Ibanezes, and the PGM plays like a dream.

PLUS it looks totally awesome and it sounds very good as well. Its clean sound is very good imo and so is the dirty sound. The PAF Pros + Basswood + Maple neck give the 301 a very very clean, crystal clear sound. I've had mine for almost 5 years now, and it never required repairing or anything like that, just fine adjustments on the pickup high and string action.

The other plus on the 301 is that you can find many of them used for reasonable prices. I've seen mint ones for 700 bucks.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:02 am
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

If I were you I would get a PGM 301 with the old neck profile. My PGM300 was beautiful and played like a dream but the trem was kind of a pain for me. And not worth it. I tend to prefer playing on a fixed bridge guitar.. tremol-no fixed all that however.

And although I know it ain't a PGM.. I owned an original RG770dx in lazer blue and I have to admit it had the thinnest, and easiest playing neck of any Ibanez I owned. (2 PGMs, Jem, Destroyers) I loved that guitar and hope to own another some day.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

thebooshisloose wrote:
thebooshisloose wrote:
(I have a les paul with a fixed bridge and a strat-copy with a non locking trem)

whoops :oops: i guess i only skim read your post. I'd get the mac.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:24 pm
Viking Kong

What kind of computer do you currently have, and what are your main uses for it? A new computer may or may not be a better use for the money. When I was in school the laptop was a higher priority than guitars. Now that i'm out the guitars move up the list.

I happen to have both a laptop with an i5, and half a dozen PGM's. Depending on how you use the computer an i5 may not be necessary. Of course when buying a new mac pro you don't have many processor options. But if the newest processor isn't that important you might be able to find a good deal on one of the previous models with the core 2 duo processor.

As far a Pgm's go it depends on what features are most important to you. Some people have hard on's for maple fret boards so a 300 or 301 would be the best choices. If you don't want the added hassle of a trem I would look at the hardtail models. My personal favorites are the pgm 500 and the PGM 800. I wouldn't say you lose tone with a trem. Maybe a little sustain. The lo pro edge has been around for many years and has proven to be a good quality bridge.

It depends on your budget, and how patient you are for what models are even realistic options. The 200 and 700 for example come up for sale much less frequently than other models. If you want one now 301's should be fairly easy to find on the used market. A 401 isn't a bad choice either as long as you have no issues with the newer style neck profile, and don't mind not having a single coil in the middle.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:16 pm
Superhero

If you are looking to get the most for your money, and you decide to get a guitar, and you only want to get a pgm, I'd get a 301.

You can find them a little more cheap than others, IMO. And they are just as great. No hassle with a floating bridge, either.

If you could "downgrade" your Mac choice a level, and gain $300-400 in spending money, you could buy a used Rg550 or a new RG350 or RG321. All good guitars.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:21 pm
Tab Master

Why don't you sell both your guitars and put that money towards a PGM, that way you might be able to even get both.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]