View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Best Book On Orchestration/Instrumentation?? 
Motorman

Post Best Book On Orchestration/Instrumentation??
Hey everyone, I have a song with light acoustic guitar and I really added to add some strings to the chorus. Does anyone know of any COMPLETE beginner orchestration books for strings (or they can cover everything)? I know music theory and can sight-read pretty well but I am very unfamiliar with the different sounds and sights of orchestral instruments. i really wanna get familiar with their different sounds and how they combine with each other, MOST IMPORTANTLY different strings?

can anyone help at all?

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:09 pm
God Of The Sun

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Jazz-Pop-A ... 215&sr=8-2

this book is a great starting point

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

http://www.sibelius.com/home/index_flash.html

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

"and I really added to add some strings to the chorus. "

thats supposed to read, i really WANTED to add some strings to the chorus...not added to add haha

anyways, misstreater, does that book go into how to arrange stuff for strings for a song? and does it go more indepth with combining different orchestral instruments? cuz i want a book that doesn't just skim the surface, i want something that starts from the basics and then upon finishing the book gives you a solid way to be able to start doing string/orchestral arrangements on your own. i don't mind if its challenging theoretically or musically, as long as it gets me where i need to go. i am willing to work very hard.

thank you though! and i will definitely check out that book, im trying to find reviews for it online

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:42 pm
Motorman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZD0yp-E0rw

the beginning sounds like strings to me haha but yeah, stuff like that is what im looking into being able to do. though im pretty sure my string part isn't going to be as complex as that symphony as a whole, i was looking into just writing a string melody similar to the one in the beginning of that one (like the first 15-20 seconds). just a strong string movement like that. maybe i don't need a book for that? maybe it's simple?

if anyone can help me out thatd be great, im just confused as to what instruments im exactly hearing and how to score them. i wish i could see the sheet music for it! it would help me out in terms of hearing what the strings are doing separately. it sounds like they're playing the same notes together in unison to be honest but my ear might just really be deceiving me. that's why i wanna delve into how these string arrangements are made so i can go under the scenes and understand the movement of the different instruments together (and what they're called/what they sound like)

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:48 pm
God Of The Sun

Theres no one book, even after arranging class at uni we're only scratching the surface

the one i linked is great, there is another good one, ill ask my arranging teacher for you

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

yeah i understand that. however if that book you referenced can give me the skills to start scoring string parts on my own, then i will definitely get it. see if u cant find the other one too.

thank you so SO much, i cant tell you how much your help is appreciated

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:45 pm
God Of The Sun

Post Re: Best Book On Orchestration/Instrumentation??
"Instrumentation and Orchestration" by Alfred Blatter

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]