View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Reb Beach says "Kirk Hammet Sucks".... 
Viking Kong

Post Reb Beach says "Kirk Hammet Sucks"....
:shock:

Jeb Wright and Jesse Lee recently conducted an interview with WINGER/WHITESNAKE guitarist Reb Beach for the "Decades Of Distortion" show on the Arkansas City, Kansas radio station KACY 102.5 FM.

When asked about the comparisons between his playing and that of METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett, Beach said, "I don't know the guy [Kirk], but I think he's one of the worst guitar players I've ever heard in my life. I've never heard a solo from that guy that was any good. . . This guy is out of tune, and his vibration... what is it? Vibrato. Oh my god. It sounds like a beginner."

He continued, "Back in the '80s, he was always voted best guitar player, and I'm like, 'What?! That guy is terrible.'

"I hate to say that because I might meet him one day.

"What's he play in? MEGADETH? METALLICA? Is he in METALLICA? Oh, then I have no problem doing that because in their biggest video, 'Nothing Else Matters', when they threw darts at a poster of Kip Winger, and then they showed it live — 20,000 people every night laughing at WINGER — I don't mind saying that Kirk Hammett sucks."

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:40 am
Dr. X

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:47 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Boom!

I think there are two schools of guitar players: the perfectionnists, and the fierce metalheads.
I think Reb Beach falls into the former category, and Kirk Hammett into the latter. To my ears, Reb Beach has got the cleaner, more controlled technique, and Kirk Hammett has got the fierce dissonant solos. If Reb Beach can't get himself into the whole "fierce playing" thing, then it's no surprise he doesn't understand why people love Kirk Hammett.

I'm thinking the whole "Winger sucks" business also influences his opinion on Hammett's playing... the Megadeth/Metallica confusion is probably not made accidentally either.

I love both players... I think Kirk Hammett's best solos are on Kill 'Em All, on the song Ride The Lightning, The Call Of Ktulu and definitely on Suicide And Redemption. Reb Beach on the other hand, has made a really good song I listen to every once in a while:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWGQWu6mSWM

I should listen to more Reb Beach, the only other time I heard him play was on the latest Whitesnake album.

And to comment the video I just posted:
The part where Reb discusses his guitar sounds so gay to my ears. He goes on about the many exotic woods he uses on his guitar and all that other flashy stuff that I doubt is actually useful tonewise.
"Yeah I did that cutaway at the back because I love the way that looks" is a quote that pretty much sums up how he designed that guitar :lol:

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:05 am
God Of The Sun

^^I think Kirk is a bit tone deaf, how else would you explain his bendings and vibrato, therefore I think the "dissonant" notes are an accident.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:07 am
Superhero

Only reason people give a crap about kirk is because he is in Metallica.

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:13 am
Viking Kong

Only reason people give a crap about kirk is because he is in Metallica.

+1

It's not like he's that bad of a player, but his solos all sound like the same to me. There are no memorable solos from him, except for a few ones, like in Master of Puppets.

My fav Metallica song is Ride The Lightening, but I REALLY don't care for the solos there.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:20 am
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

My favorite band is Metallica, I can practically name all of their songs on their first four albums. And even I admit Hammett is overrated.

I dont think Kirk is a bad guitar player, but as a lead player hes nothing special. You're right: his solos are unoriginal and uninspired. I will say however that I do like his solo in Ride The Lightning and Fade to Black, but other than everything else is pretty much the same.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:56 am
Viking Kong

Wow. Didn't realize Kirk Hammett's reputation over here was so bad.
I think he deserves a lot more credit than you guys are giving him...

I'm not a Metallica hardcore fan... Metallica probably would barely make it to my "Top 10 favorite metal bands" list if I ever was making one... but I still think Kirk Hammett is great, in his own way. I doubt I'd like to hear some other solo over Seek And Destroy, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Fade To Black, or other Metallica songs with really cool Kirk solos. :?

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:27 pm
Superhero

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:28 pm
God Of The Sun

and hes in a whole new class for rhythm

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Once I listened to Megadeth, I almost completely stopped listening to Metallica. Why? It's not even the solos. It's the vocals. James Hetfield vocals over the first 2 albums sounds like a 7 year old kid screaming over the mike.

No offense though. :s

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:21 pm
Viking Kong

I think the best vocals James Hetfiled has ever done are on the first two Metallica albums and on Enter Sandman.

I agree James does great solos too.

I thought Metallica was like the common denominator of all metal fans... what the hell happened? :shock:

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:02 pm
Golden God

Kirk Hammet is the worst guitarist I've ever heard live, and I think he's totaly overrated! I'm glad Reb called it like he saw it!

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Wow :shock:
I think the best vocals James Hetfiled has ever done are on the first two Metallica albums and on Enter Sandman.

I agree James does great solos too.

I thought Metallica was like the common denominator of all metal fans... what the hell happened? :shock:

Though I think his singing is cool on Kill and Ride, you must admit, it sounds like horseshit :lol: Justice and the Black Album are both amazing, but the best album pure vocally is Live Shit. Listen to Creeping Death on it, it's so amazing in every way that I can't describe how much it makes my world move! :lol: :D

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:21 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

I honestly love James vocals on the first four albums. I like his vocals a lot more than Dave's vocals for Megadeth. Dont get me wrong I like Dave's vocals too, especially on Sweating Bullets. When I first heard that song I was like "What the hell is going on!? This is awesome!"

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:51 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: Reb Beach says "Kirk Hammet Sucks"....
Xelatunes wrote:
Beach said, "I don't know the guy [Kirk], but I think he's one of the worst guitar players I've ever heard in my life. I've never heard a solo from that guy that was any good. . . This guy is out of tune, and his vibration... what is it? Vibrato. Oh my god. It sounds like a beginner."
Hey, when you're right, you're right!

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:12 pm
Promises to use Search button

I personally love Kirks soloing, even if his intonation and vibrato are more than quesitonable. It's gone downhill somewhat (my god theres some shit on the 'making of death magnetic' dvd, although he's ok on the album)... but he was by far the best soloist in thrash metal until Chris Poland, Alex Skolnick and then Marty Friedman came along in my view.

His stuff on the Black album is timeless, think of 'The Unforgiven' or less obviously 'Struggle Within'. Finally, he got seriously into the blues and made two album where the solos weren't even about the shredding in the mid 90s, regardless of if you liked them or not...

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:56 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

To everyone thinking Kirk is quite good since he played some memorable solos: Well, some (or maybe all) of those happend under a certain "guidance"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LftgfoRWqI

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:08 am
God Of The Sun

but legend has it that when Dave was booted out of Metallica Kirk came in and copied his solos note for note

I really think Dave was a great soloist

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

To everyone thinking Kirk is quite good since he played some memorable solos: Well, some (or maybe all) of those happend under a certain "guidance"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LftgfoRWqI

Come on.
Behind every great band, and every great guitar solo hides a great manager. Calling Kirk a fraud is bullshit, I can't believe it has to be me taking his defense.

I'll take the example of our favorite guitar player over here: Paul Gilbert. Think he never took advice when he was recording for Mr. Big? If my memories of interviews I've read are correct, Paul had to change tons of shit because his managers didn't like the way it sounded. He had turn down the distortion, cut back on the number of notes he played... who the hell here thinks any guitar player does it all by himself?

:roll:

Now's a good time for those rolling eyes imo.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next