View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 My Custom Ibanez Epiphone 
Superhero

He has the actual guitar.

WHATHEFAH!!!!!!!!!!!

LUCKIEST MAN ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!

Pics or it didn't happen.

Scratch that. Ship it to me or it didn't happen 8)

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:16 am
Search Button God!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:47 am
Godzilla

pgm992 wrote:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I miss the Kahler, SD Distortion, SD Mini and the Pink Colour....

:cry: :cry: :cry:

:wink:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:04 am
Godzilla

OK, Does anyone know if the Orange Epi in 86 bacame the Pink???
or did it become Mr. Guitar???

WTF? :|

Here is a pic of it...

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Good to see more progress lady killer! Just out of interest are you making the neck or buying an ibanez one and modding the neck joint like you did on your destroyer/iceman?

Keep up the good work, oh and paint it green like bruces :twisted:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:16 pm
Godzilla

Good to see more progress lady killer! Just out of interest are you making the neck or buying an ibanez one and modding the neck joint like you did on your destroyer/iceman?

Same again! :P I LOVE those flat head stocks!!! :hug:

I am too much of a pussy to make one!!! :lol: :oops:

I had a bad experience making a neck once, I fucked up the FB so had to strip it! :cry:

Perhaps for my next RX project will try making it from scratch... :wink:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:47 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Oh right cool, well it seemed to work well on the destroyer so why change it lol. Which model of neck are you getting? I think im going to try a similar project at some stage, something ive wanted to do for years haha

Lady Killer wrote:
peter762033 wrote:

Same again! :P I LOVE those flat head stocks!!! :hug:

I am too much of a pussy to make one!!! :lol: :oops:

I had a bad experience making a neck once, I fucked up the FB so had to strip it! :cry:

Perhaps for my next RX project will try making it from scratch... :wink:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:52 pm
Godzilla

Yeah, gluing an extra bit to the heel actually works very well so far, I had my Iceman in tune for like 3 days now, NO loss of tuning, NO cracks, its acting like a normal joint, BUT IT IS VERY THIN, we will see what happens in the future but right now its all good!!! 8)

Get yourself a +/- 1985 model Destroyer... :idea:

NOTE this neck is not 100% like the Iceman or Epi but its the closest out there... :roll:

Hope this helps! :P

Just go for it! spend a few hours every night and you will have a RX replica guitar before you know it! :D

So, what's it gonna be ICE or EPI??? :?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:09 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Cool thanks for the info! Il look out for a neck now, i think the hardest part will be collecting all of the right parts. Did you get most of yours from ebay? How does the kahler stay in tune with dive bombs/pull ups? i heard a while ago that they didnt stay in tune that well :?: Well i would probably make an epi just like bruces green one!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:31 pm
Godzilla

Cool thanks for the info! Il look out for a neck now, i think the hardest part will be collecting all of the right parts. Did you get most of yours from ebay? How does the kahler stay in tune with dive bombs/pull ups? i heard a while ago that they didnt stay in tune that well :?: Well i would probably make an epi just like bruces green one!

Well the Kahler trem isn't exactly an Edge, your string will not last as long because there is constant movement at where the ball is... :?

For me it does staY in tune I find better than my Edge III, on comeback. :D

But I find the strings will drop in tune after a while, just tension I guess... :roll:

But over all a good trem, the 2300 not the 7300, that thing sure IS ugly! :lol:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:07 pm
Godzilla

Here is some of the shit I have gathered for my Ibanez Epi! :D

*Gotoh Tuners
*Kahler 2300
*Kahler Pro Nut
*SD Distortion + Ring :lol: :oops:
*Vol Dome Knob
*AANJ Screws
*Black Stain

vvv :arrow:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:13 pm
God Of The Sun

I Just remembered my epi project being turned down
(more info here http://racerx.edutom.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=18312)

looks insane it'll go really well with your iceman hybrid.

keep us updated!

cheers :P

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:56 am
Godzilla

sweeeet111111!!!!!!!!!
I Just remembered my epi project being turned down
(more info here http://racerx.edutom.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=18312)

looks insane it'll go really well with your iceman hybrid.

keep us updated!

cheers :P

I read your post...that guy sounds like a complete FUCKIN ASSHOLE! :evil:

How dare he call the Ibanez Epiphone ‘’Ugly’’? :evil: :evil: :evil:

This guy is just shit that’s why he pussied out! :lol:

You should give it a go yourself, sure it will be hard but you will learn from your mistakes and could always improve! :wink:

Now down to some calculations! :(
I still have to work out where everything goes before I do the routs... :roll:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:50 am
Superhero

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:42 pm
Superhero

'PAULS EPIPHONE

Thanks for giving my guitars good homes!

The red sparkle Epi IS the same one that I'm playing in the picture on the back of "Second Heat". Bruce and I used that guitar for 99% of that record. (The only other guitar we used was somebody's strat for the clean parts in "Heart of a Lion".)

The Epi did have a Kahler at that time. I like Kahlers because the bar sits a little further back than a Floyd-type bridge. That way my pinky doesn't keep banging into it. The problem with Kahlers is that they really eat up your sustain. The red Epi in it's current state is going to have more sustain and richer harmonics overall. You can see me playing the new sparkle version in "The Terrifying Guitar Trip" while I'm doing the end solo on the Mr. Big song "What's It Gonna Be".

Enjoy your awesome instruments!

Paul
'
'Paul’s ADA rig back in the day..

I'll offer what I remember Bruce's rig was like back then. Paul and Bruce has basically identical gear.

First off, don't let yourself get carried away with the mini's. It's not like their tone was as elusive as EVH's. Paul had slapped a Seymour Duncan mini in the neck position, and could use it as a high F# while doing his solo. Long story short, Both Epiphone's were made identical, and Bruce had a mini in his orange epiphone as well.

They never used a mini in the bridge position.

They both had standard size humbuckers in the bridge position, and I'd say they were Duncan's, as that's what they were using at the time. The models were standard gain, probably JB's or Distortion's. (as in the mockingbird)

What they did that was somewhat unique, was that they wired their pickups in parallel, NOT in series as is the standard wiring. This was to clean up the tone a tad while using the gain they had using in their rigs. Also keep in mind, they DO NOT do that anymore, so don't go nuts over it. You're really going out of your way, to do something somewhat insignificant nowadays.

They went straight into an ADA MP-1 (switched with an MC-1 midi controller), through an ADA MQ-1 (midi EQ), a rackmount delay (I think an Alesis Midiverb) a Hush, and into an AMPEG amplifier (ran clean). The AMPEG's had graphic EQ's on them, so they could dial in nice low end through the cabs. The AMPEG's sounded great clean. Pumping the MP-1 preamp through them would help give the tone they had.

Looking back on it then, even though they ran many many cabinets, and the stage setup looking elaborate, the tones they got were simple in design. They sounded great, not because of the simple tone, but because they f*ckin' had amazing talent, and were incredibly clean pickers.
Don't forget they would have sounded great on any rig.
But I can't believe I left out one thing in my last post:

On one of Paul's guitars, he actually put duct tape over his bridge pickup to help shield it from outside noise. When I'd see them play live, I always wondered wtf that was. Then I read once he said the pickup in question was too noisy, so he tried to shield it with duct tape.

There may be a picture or two floating around the web with that guitar. If you ever see something strangely silver over his bridge pickup, that's it.
Based on my experience, these measures are only necessary on strats with single coil pickups, and aren't necessary with humbuckers. The only time you should ever experience noise out of the ordinary from a humbucking guitar, is if you have a bad solder connection, or a ground loop problem. '
'

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:53 pm
Godzilla

more stuff, quotes frpm Paul
'PAULS EPIPHONE

Thanks for giving my guitars good homes!

The red sparkle Epi IS the same one that I'm playing in the picture on the back of "Second Heat". Bruce and I used that guitar for 99% of that record. (The only other guitar we used was somebody's strat for the clean parts in "Heart of a Lion".)

The Epi did have a Kahler at that time. I like Kahlers because the bar sits a little further back than a Floyd-type bridge. That way my pinky doesn't keep banging into it. The problem with Kahlers is that they really eat up your sustain. The red Epi in it's current state is going to have more sustain and richer harmonics overall. You can see me playing the new sparkle version in "The Terrifying Guitar Trip" while I'm doing the end solo on the Mr. Big song "What's It Gonna Be".

Enjoy your awesome instruments!

Paul
'
'Paul’s ADA rig back in the day..

I'll offer what I remember Bruce's rig was like back then. Paul and Bruce has basically identical gear.

First off, don't let yourself get carried away with the mini's. It's not like their tone was as elusive as EVH's. Paul had slapped a Seymour Duncan mini in the neck position, and could use it as a high F# while doing his solo. Long story short, Both Epiphone's were made identical, and Bruce had a mini in his orange epiphone as well.

They never used a mini in the bridge position.

They both had standard size humbuckers in the bridge position, and I'd say they were Duncan's, as that's what they were using at the time. The models were standard gain, probably JB's or Distortion's. (as in the mockingbird)

What they did that was somewhat unique, was that they wired their pickups in parallel, NOT in series as is the standard wiring. This was to clean up the tone a tad while using the gain they had using in their rigs. Also keep in mind, they DO NOT do that anymore, so don't go nuts over it. You're really going out of your way, to do something somewhat insignificant nowadays.

They went straight into an ADA MP-1 (switched with an MC-1 midi controller), through an ADA MQ-1 (midi EQ), a rackmount delay (I think an Alesis Midiverb) a Hush, and into an AMPEG amplifier (ran clean). The AMPEG's had graphic EQ's on them, so they could dial in nice low end through the cabs. The AMPEG's sounded great clean. Pumping the MP-1 preamp through them would help give the tone they had.

Looking back on it then, even though they ran many many cabinets, and the stage setup looking elaborate, the tones they got were simple in design. They sounded great, not because of the simple tone, but because they f*ckin' had amazing talent, and were incredibly clean pickers.
Don't forget they would have sounded great on any rig.
But I can't believe I left out one thing in my last post:

On one of Paul's guitars, he actually put duct tape over his bridge pickup to help shield it from outside noise. When I'd see them play live, I always wondered wtf that was. Then I read once he said the pickup in question was too noisy, so he tried to shield it with duct tape.

There may be a picture or two floating around the web with that guitar. If you ever see something strangely silver over his bridge pickup, that's it.
Based on my experience, these measures are only necessary on strats with single coil pickups, and aren't necessary with humbuckers. The only time you should ever experience noise out of the ordinary from a humbucking guitar, is if you have a bad solder connection, or a ground loop problem. '
'

You are the greatest! :D

Awesome pics, awesome info! :idea:

It will help me make my Epi closer to Paul & Bruce’s!!! :twisted:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:23 pm
Godzilla

Tried looking up this mag on Google and nothing...it’s like it doesn’t exist... :x WTF :evil:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:14 pm
God Of The Sun

pgm992 wrote:

He is Jesse Hughes from the Eagles of Death Metal!!!

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:42 pm
Godzilla

Long time no post! :lol:

Well I am done marking out where all the shit is meant to go... 8)

In order to nail the detail I had to scale pics up and take some figure not 100% exact but close enough visually... :roll:

I don't know about you guys but I am 99.9% sure these Epis were originally made to go with an Edge Trem, however knowing the Edge I can see why Paul and Bruce changed to Kahlers, the bodies are too thin to support one for a long time, unless you modify the block, am also concerned about the neck snapping, unlike the Kahler it changes the action during pull ups and downs...but that’s my opinion... :?

I though about this and I don't see the point in making the Edge cavity and then blocking it...instead I am going to make it look like there was an Edge cavity, I will also include the back plate cover. :D

To avoid fucking anything up I will start the routing once I get ALL the pats. :roll: 8)

Here are the latest Pics: :o

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:57 pm
Superhero

can't wait to see this one coming along :D

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next