View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How did you become aware of Paul Gilbert's existence. 

Well how, you bag of fucks?!
Guitar Magazines 30%  30%  [ 17 ]
Racer X 32%  32%  [ 18 ]
Mr.Big 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
His Solo Career 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
He Toured Near My House, I Checked It Out, I Was Hooked 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
YouTube 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 56

How did you become aware of Paul Gilbert's existence. 
Viking Kong

Post How did you become aware of Paul Gilbert's existence.
I think Samba said something interesting, and I wanna see if magazines play a major role in getting a guitarist famous.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:43 pm
Viking Kong

Personally I loved shred, and I went hunting for the best shredders in the Heavy Metal universe. I googled it and after listening to a lot of music, I figured Yngwie Malmsteen from Yngwie Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert of Racer X were my two favorite, but Racer X was better because the guitar harmonies were just way too awesome. Plus the name Racer X was just cool.

That's how I had heard of Paul Gilbert... I was looking for shred, all the rest of the stuff I know about Paul I learned later by looking deeper into his past since I was very interested by this shred god.

Of course, none of Second Heat would have been possible without Bruce, so Bruce too became one of my favorite guitarist, and when I listen to some of the stuff he makes today I always find it refreshing and cool, but it's not heavy metal enough for me to listen to constantly. I'm an occasionnal Bruce listener, but I like it.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:53 pm
Godzilla

I was into metal and started buying guitar magazines to read about the guys who played it. One of my mates got me into Skid Row and I read an article in Guitarist magazine (UK) in which Snake said the two guitarists influencing him most at the time besides his old friend Zakk were James Hetfield of Metallica and PG of Racer X. I really enjoyed reading and learning from the guitar magazines, and they kept mentioning how great a player PG was, so I bought Lean Into It on vinyl.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:59 pm
God Of The Sun

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:21 pm
Superhero

Put in audio CD to Total Guitar, it must of been his shred 101 or whatever it was called, and went..........WOW

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:47 pm
Godzilla

My friend who went to MI told me about him. He got a lesson from Paul, I think.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:58 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:36 pm
Superhero

I first saw the name as number 2 on a list of fastest guitarists from an issue of Total Guitar dating back to 2003. He was the only guitarist I hadn't heard on the list.

A later issue of Total Guitar contained the song I Like Rock and an interview with Paul. I found the song cheesy and had little interest in the interview.

Laster still, I put on one of my total guitar CDs and by accident skipped to Paul's school of shred, which saw him demonstrating this lick:

e -----------------10---------------15--12--10---------------
b ---10 -12--13------13--12--10---------------13--12------

I can still remember the face I pulled when he muttered the immortal words 'now let's see if I can play it.... super fast!' I was bowled over, but my interest was not fully sparked.

I then saw an amazing anime video on youtube with spaceship one as the soundtrack, which I still cannot find to this day. I listened to it on repeat from 10pm to 4am.

The rest is history.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:05 pm
Superhero

Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:28 pm
Viking Kong

None of the choices adequately summarize my first Paul Gilbert experience, so I chose the closest one: Guitar magazine. Actually, it was an instructional video. I was young, at the time, and not too interested in guitar playing or guitarists for that matter--my brother, on the other hand, was getting himself into anything music related. It was Christmas time and I had received, as one of my gifts, some new hardware for my computer. I was playing Team Fortress in my room when my brother walked in with a video cassette in his hand. He put the Paul Gilbert instructional VHS into my cassette player and began watching it intently. I would glance over periodically. But I happened to glance over just as Gilbert was running his "rabbit out of the guitar" bit, and that really did hook me. I wanted to watch the rest of his video and was quite pleased when we came across the comedic segments. It's safe to say I discovered Gilbert before Racer X. My first Racer X experience, however, was completely coincidental--a story for another day, I suppose.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:31 pm
Dr. X

A friend of mine shown me Technical Difficulties a few years ago, I've been hooked ever since.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:08 pm
God Of The Sun

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:14 pm
Dr. X

i just watched a video of him by accident on youtube. and i thought it was great. So i became an instant fan.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

A friend of mine burned me a cd with a copy of one of Yngwie's instructional videos. There was free space left on the cd so he included some short clips from IR2.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:17 pm
Godzilla

I came across Paul while watching a Total Guitar DVD, it had a shit load of stuff on it…but this guy stood out and when I saw Paul showing some licks I thought ‘’THIS GUY IS FUCKIN AWESOME, WHY ISN’T HE IN A BAND???’’
:?
I thought he was just a guitar teacher [well he kind of was] :oops: and then I started watching more of his videos including Intense Rock and learned he was in a band and he was only 19 when he recorded his first album, so I got a hold of the album and was blown away. :shock:
Ever since then Racer X is a part of my every day life…They are, Hotter Than Fire! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:43 pm
Godzilla

On a Paul´s clinic. One of the best things ever :)

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:13 pm
Superhero

ex-guitar teacher. when i was young i asked my guitar teacher who was the fastest guitar player, and he responded by saying paul fucking gilbert hands down. i was like hm ill check it out

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:30 pm
Godzilla

Over 20 years ago, I learned that there was a band called Mr. Big. A few years later, I learned that Mr. Big's guitarist was named Paul Gilbert.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:10 am
Godzilla

I found out about Joe Satriani somewhere when I got serious about guitar so I looked him up on youtube and in the comments someone mentioned Paul so I looked him up and was blown away :P

Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next