View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 classical picking 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post classical picking
Guys, i decided that i really want to get more serious about my alternate picking and i don't want to just do boring exercises that make my playing stale and i know i could just learn some Racer X or Cacophony, but i feel like it'd be more beneficial to look at what inspired those monster players.

So anyone have any suggestions for and cool classical pieces i could learn. Preferably something for the flute or violin. And i kinda want something thats not as well known but still a challenge.

Thanks!

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:22 pm
Dr. X

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:30 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:30 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Paganini seems to translate to guitar well. Maybe also look at some of the Caprice #24.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:48 pm
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

Yeah i've seen a lot of people playing Paganini and other violin stuff like Vivaldi on the guitar. Anyone know of any good flute or other woodwind classical songs that could work on guitar as i think it will give an interesting different perspective on the music

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:18 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

It may seem silly, but you might look at some of Ennio Morricone's music. Stuff like the theme from "Fistful of Dollars" and many songs from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" like Ecstasy of Gold (NOTE: Metallica covered this song, just avoid listening to that if you can.)

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:26 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

yeeaah, sure, capricise 24 would be excellent for a beginner... :P
I can play some of it, but I really mean "some of it". :lol:
it's quite hard IMO.
but nice piece anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98y0Q7nLGWk

maybe I don't get the idea of this thread, but what exactly has alternate picking to do with classical picking?
phrasing is some much more important in classical music compared to shred music...

if you want to go into classical shredable music, I'd start of with bach.
he's got some nice tunes with two or three voices which would would suit the needs of a guitarist quite well IMO. each voice sounds nice on it's own and he delivers tons of material for every key you need.
maybe get yourself a copy of the "wohltemperiertes klavier" 1/2, that should be able to inspire you for ages.

or maybe start of with some inventios. I like number 13 in a-minor for example. :)

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:35 pm
Viking Kong

As for flute, you could check out some of Bach's flute pieces, such as Partita in A minor BWV 1013, Sonata in G minor BWV 1020, Sonata in E flat major BWV 1031 or anything else you find.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:38 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

maybe I don't get the idea of this thread, but what exactly has alternate picking to do with classical picking?
phrasing is some much more important in classical music compared to shred music...

well i kind of combined alternate picking and classical music. sorry for the confusion, and yeah i know that classical music is much more about phrasing and note choice then speed but a lot of it seems to be really good to develop good chops

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:48 pm
Superhero

https://www.yousendit.com/download/VGlk ... QTJGa1E9PQ

Here is a cool violin exercise from a Mel Bay book. Observe the picking and fingerings correctly and it will greatly improve your position playing and picking efficiency.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:38 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

I will definitely give it a try in the morning when everyone isn't asleep in my house. Looks great and i think i might try to learn it with all alternate picking just to get those chops up.

I wanna get better at alternate picking and sweeping separately before diving into economy picking

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:26 am
Promises to use Search button

Learn Some Bach Or Hadyn or some modern symphonys and try and make ehm more cooler like PG does maybe your playing will become less stale as you said :)

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]