View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where does the PGM go from here 
Dr. X

Post Where does the PGM go from here
Well, the year of the PGM is done soon and we'll be left with just the 401. A rollercoaster ride of sorts from the botched "choose the reissue" poll to the rants and raves of the expensively splendifirous Fireman (which I was a party to and then I ended up getting one) to the vintage-y looking 401 that we all eventually fell in love with to, on a personal note, had a mod at another guitar forum tell me Ibanez was shit and I was a fool for wasting money on a PGM200 instead of whatever scrap metal wood thing he was into which I had never even heard of before I went there (and no longer do...mod-trolls...yeesh!).

On the lighter side, my 2009 netted me 7 PGM's and 1 Fireman so I call it a successful journey. I'm curtailing my guitar purchasing for 2010 unless I see an 800 rear it's headstock. You never know. I never would have fathomed I'd have a 200 before the year was out.

Anyone have comments on their 2009 PGM-wise?

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:03 pm
Viking Kong

The 100 reissue wasnt as cool as the original.

the 300 reissue was retarded.

The Fireman being limited to 55 sucked.

I never had money to buy a PGM, so I cant complain cuz Ive still got my 301 that I got as a gift years ago.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:58 pm
Profile YIM
Superhero

The 100 reissue wasnt as cool as the original.

the 300 reissue was retarded.

The Fireman being limited to 55 sucked.

I never had money to buy a PGM, so I cant complain cuz Ive still got my 301 that I got as a gift years ago.

Holy shit. I was about to say all that.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:33 pm
Motorman

I tried to buy a PGM10th, PGM90, and the LACS 7 string in 09, but was outbid on Ebay. The story of my PGM hunt - always someone willing to pay more. I can't remember the last time I saw a reasonably priced 800.

I did pickup two PGM style bodies and two MIJ super wizard necks for a couple custom projects.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4222282489/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4222282583/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4222282137/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4223045842/

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:50 pm
Viking Kong

This is the first year in probably the last 5 that I didn't buy any guitars. My PGM buying has been put on hold until i'm out of school and working again, unless a cheap 800 comes along.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:01 pm
Viking Kong

Next guitar I get is when I have an income. :cry:

I hope the PGMs bring light in the future.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:31 pm
Viking Kong

I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about this last year of PGMs. The reissue of the 100 as the 20th Anniversary was a fail. The 300 "winning" the poll for which PGM should be re-issued was a fail. The 401 does nothing for me. Dullest PGM, EVER. And as far as I'm concerned, the Fireman (either flavor) doesn't even count as a PGM. It was a good year to sit back, save your money, and wait for an 800 to come up for sale. :lol:

Pauls taste will change, the PGMs will change. --Jason

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:48 am
Godzilla

Ibanez has really lost me as far as new guitars go, but this is about the PGM models....

The PGM401:

Cool looking, but not really a PGM to me. I took the money I was going to spend on one, and bought a PGM 10th instead. Would I have bought a 401 anyway if it cost the same as my 301, yeah probably. However, even at a steep discount, priced way out of market.

The PGM100RE:

I was never interested in this guitar anyway, but I realize what it represents to Paul and Ibanez. However, I don't understand the thinking (or lack thereof) behind the pricing or the promotion.

The original version can be found quite easily and for half the cost of the reissue. Ibanez should have limited the number offered and made them collectible. Then you would have justification for the $2000 price.

The PGM300RE:

Another brain dead moment in Ibanez history. However in fairness to Ibanez, I don't think anyone could see this one coming.

Hindsight being what it is, perhaps the voting selection should have been limited to a few special models from Paul's past, and not the regular production line.

Ditto the PGM100RE comments as well.

Finally, the Fireman:

Oh what could have been...

I was so prepared to buy this, until I found out the price.

There is no winner in a debate on value, so I wont try. However, no one can convince me that it would have not been a better business model to offer the cherry top Fireman as a production piece along with the limited version.

All in all, I sincerely hope all the guitars were a success for Paul's sake. I am a fan of his work, and want to try and support that.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:46 am
Viking Kong

However, no one can convince me that it would have not been a better business model to offer the cherry top Fireman as a production piece along with the limited version.

Amen!!!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:38 pm
Profile YIM
Motorman

I have to agree that when i first saw the 401 i thought it was not cool. However having since bought one the sound and looks have really grown on me. And I mean really grown on me. So much so i am off to the bathroom with some kleenex..........

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:19 pm
Superhero

I'd rather see the PGM series looking forward to new ideas rather than look backwards to the past.

Another 80s-90s bright coloured guitar would simply enforce that Paul Gilbert belongs in that time period rather than today. Sorry chaps, but I'd be disappointed with another neon-esque PGM.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:49 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Any unwanted PGM 401s or any other guitar for that matter can be sent to me :D

Thought I would throw that in there.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:10 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I'd rather see the PGM series looking forward to new ideas rather than look backwards to the past.

Another 80s-90s bright coloured guitar would simply enforce that Paul Gilbert belongs in that time period rather than today. Sorry chaps, but I'd be disappointed with another neon-esque PGM.

Neon PGM?

Ew. I mean, the PGM100 and PGM200 were FINE for there time and they should remain as, but making new models today, is just a bit gross.

There are way more luxurious colours a PGM can behold, other than black and white.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:43 pm
Superhero

I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about this last year of PGMs. The reissue of the 100 as the 20th Anniversary was a fail. The 300 "winning" the poll for which PGM should be re-issued was a fail. The 401 does nothing for me. Dullest PGM, EVER. And as far as I'm concerned, the Fireman (either flavor) doesn't even count as a PGM. It was a good year to sit back, save your money, and wait for an 800 to come up for sale. :lol:

Pauls taste will change, the PGMs will change. --Jason

Well stated!!

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:56 am
Motorman

Honestly, I may be in a boat alone, but I would have a hard time buying any new PGMs because of their new prestige neck profiles. Some exceptions to this would be something major kick ass, like the red ghostrider from IR2 or the orange/black GOOMY PGM.

That old neck profile is a huge reason why I love PGM and RGs.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:32 pm
Dr. X

Honestly, I may be in a boat alone, but I would have a hard time buying any new PGMs because of their new prestige neck profiles. Some exceptions to this would be something major kick ass, like the red ghostrider from IR2 or the orange/black GOOMY PGM.

Your crazy man, the difference is so freaking small. I don't care how picky your are, the difference isn't even close to being a deal breaker.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

rreeves wrote:

Your crazy man, the difference is so freaking small. I don't care how picky your are, the difference isn't even close to being a deal breaker.

I am a little crazy when it comes to that neck profile :)

Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am
Godzilla

The neck thing is a non issue for me. I have older strats that have baseball bat necks. I spend an hour on one of those, and I feel like I am going to snap the head off a wizard neck.

:lol:

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:27 am
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Having been able to attend the NAMM show last January and see the year of the PGM start was great. The concert was AMAZING and I felt very justified in staying out as late as I did that night.

On the PGM401:
Personally, I like the look of this guitar. And if I could I would trade my 301 for one. I like the sound of the new pickups and I'm a sucker for nice woodgrain with sunburst finishes.

On the PGM300RE:
I don't care how anyone puts it, this was just an epic fail on the part of Ibanez. While on paper it seems like a good idea, that was something you should have just polled the fans about instead of letting the fans decide. If they saw the 300 was the winner, and considering how closely it resembles the 301, they should have gone for another choice. It's clear from the voting percentage that the 800 lost by a very small margin...so, I don't know who just decided to say "fuck it".

On the PGM100RE:
Price? Yeah, not for me. However, it was very cool to see the guitar back in stores. It's cool to see instruments that stick out.

One the Fireman:
I got to hold a Fireman at NAMM and I fell in love. I sat and played it for a good 20 minutes. Then I saw the price. Then I saw it was a limited edition. My heart sank. I remember seeing the original Fireman on it's debut show and thought how cool it looked. I even broke news of the new then-"Reverse Iceman", here on the board.
Now...I am sad.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Pewtershmit wrote:
rreeves wrote:

I am a little crazy when it comes to that neck profile :)
Well, you're only hurting yourself by limiting your choice.

I'm like Ayrton. I've got guitars with all sorts of neck profiles (Gibson LP 50s is probably the biggest) and I have no problem switching between them. I decided a long time ago that if I wanted to own certain guitars (e.g. Les Pauls for one) that I would have to get used to playing all sorts of necks. If PG can do it, so can I. ;)

Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next