View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:01 pm



Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 While My Guitar Gently Sweeps...And Another Question! 
Author Message
Motorman

Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:17 am
Posts: 329
Post While My Guitar Gently Sweeps...And Another Question!
Clever title eh??

Question:

When you guys do your sweet 3-string arpeggios, do you go (starting from high G string):

Down, Down, Down, Up, Up, Down, repeat.

-----------9---12--9---------
----10----------------10-----
-9--------------------------9--

So it would be down on 9, down on 10, down on 9, pulloff with upstroke for 12p9, up on 10, and down on 9....

ORRRR for the last 9, do you finish with an upstroke, and do a down on 10 to restart the pattern? I figure the first way is better but its way more awkward in my opinion. the second way leaves more room for error though for hitting the same note on the G twice.

So i was just wondering, what do YOU do?

Also, this has nothing to do with sweeping but:

What do you guys think of Noise gates? do you guys consider it cheating or just a smart way to deal with amp noise due to hot pickups/high gain. Just wondering. Also, what noise gate do you use? I find my NS-2 takes off some high end. Maybe the ISP Decimator is good? The reason why I ask is because people like Vai and stuff don't use noise gates and he has the same amp as me. My amp is noisy and I don't dial in gobs of gain! I don't see how he can't use one haha, I know he doesn't use a shit ton of gain but he does indeed use a fair amouint of it AND overdrives it with a pedal.


Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:32 pm
Profile
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:07 am
Posts: 7453
Post 
Down down down hammer, Up, pull-off, up up.

Also, never leave home without your NS-2. I have been using it since the day I bought it.

Also, did you get my PM about that tab you requested? I didn't get a reply.


Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:40 pm
Profile
Motorman

Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:17 am
Posts: 329
Post 
Yeah, this is the first time i checked my RX account since. I was about to PM you. I just got it, thanks a lot man! It's such a fun lick to play!

So you do the last note with an up, and then to restart the lick, you do a downstroke on the B string? I guess everyone does it differently cuz guthrie swears by doing a downstroke on the G to restart the lick.

And do you find the NS-2 sucks out a lil high-end tone? It's too noticeable for me! Also do you just put it in front of the amp? Some people do weird wiring things with it that I simply just don't understand.

And how the hell are ppl like Vai getting such quiet amps...and, to kick it up a notch, people like fucking DIMEBAG who has monster gain but when u hear him live, his amp isn't going insane.


Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:54 pm
Profile
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:07 am
Posts: 7453
Post 
JohnStamos wrote:
Yeah, this is the first time i checked my RX account since. I was about to PM you. I just got it, thanks a lot man! It's such a fun lick to play!

So you do the last note with an up, and then to restart the lick, you do a downstroke on the B string? I guess everyone does it differently cuz guthrie swears by doing a downstroke on the G to restart the lick.

And do you find the NS-2 sucks out a lil high-end tone? It's too noticeable for me! Also do you just put it in front of the amp? Some people do weird wiring things with it that I simply just don't understand.

And how the hell are ppl like Vai getting such quiet amps...and, to kick it up a notch, people like fucking DIMEBAG who has monster gain but when u hear him live, his amp isn't going insane.


If it sucks out any tone, I'm happy with it :P Don't max out the threshold, you might be doing that.

Also, I only use it cause my compressor is the one making all the noise. My amp alone makes minimal noise.


Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:01 pm
Profile
Motorman

Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:17 am
Posts: 329
Post 
Ahh kk.

Just to get things straight, to tackle THIS lick you would do:

------------9---12--9--------------9--12--9-
-----10----------------10------10------------10-
-9---------------------------9---------------------9

Down down, down, up (pull-off), up, up, down, down, up (pull-off) up up?

Wouldn't it be better to go:

down, down, down, up (pull-off), up, DOWN (so 9th fret, G string is a down), down, down, up, up, down, rinse, repeat?


Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:52 pm
Profile
Motorman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:28 pm
Posts: 410
Location: Odense, Denmark.
Post 
JohnStamos wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to go:

down, down, down, up (pull-off), up, DOWN (so 9th fret, G string is a down), down, down, up, up, down, rinse, repeat?


That's what I do, works for me. The other way feels very awkward to me.

_________________
- Oliver

Fender HH Tele / RG7321 / Gunslinger -> Pitchblack -> BYOC Wah -> DOD FX25B -> Phase100 -> Xotic EP Booster -> Xotic BB Preamp -> Eventide TimeFactor -> Carvin X100B -> Dr.Z Air Brake -> Orange 2x12


Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:02 pm
Profile
Motorman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:29 am
Posts: 425
Post 
JohnStamos wrote:
Ahh kk.

Just to get things straight, to tackle THIS lick you would do:

------------9---12--9--------------9--12--9-
-----10----------------10------10------------10-
-9---------------------------9---------------------9

Down down, down, up (pull-off), up, up, down, down, up (pull-off) up up?

Wouldn't it be better to go:

down, down, down, up (pull-off), up, DOWN (so 9th fret, G string is a down), down, down, up, up, down, rinse, repeat?


Yep, that's how I'd do it...... it's the most efficient movement wise.....

_________________
Custom Fireman Replica
Ibanez JS100 (still going strong after 14 years of abuse!!!)
Marshall Vintage Modern 50w Combo


Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:18 pm
Profile
Dr. X
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:50 pm
Posts: 244
Post 
i do it like this:
Down down, down, up (pull-off), up, up, down, down, up (pull-off) up up

surely thats more efficient as u dont have to outside pick at the end?


Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:16 am
Profile
Motorman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:29 am
Posts: 425
Post 
Ollie wrote:
i do it like this:
Down down, down, up (pull-off), up, up, down, down, up (pull-off) up up

surely thats more efficient as u dont have to outside pick at the end?


Actually, you're right..... my bad......

_________________
Custom Fireman Replica
Ibanez JS100 (still going strong after 14 years of abuse!!!)
Marshall Vintage Modern 50w Combo


Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:37 am
Profile
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:07 am
Posts: 7453
Post 
I don't the first down anymore after I loop.

So it's:

D-D-D-hammer-UP-pulloff-UP-UP-D-D-hammer-UP-pulloff-UP-UP-D and so on


Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:54 am
Profile
Unt! I'm a Moderator.
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:21 am
Posts: 8618
Location: Las Gárgolas, California
Post 
Quote:
Wouldn't it be better to go:

down, down, down, up (pull-off), up, DOWN (so 9th fret, G string is a down), down, down, up, up, down, rinse, repeat?


That's how I learned to do it from Yngwie. At first it felt awkward and inefficient but now the other way seems wrong. Why he does it this way I'm not sure but he's the master of those sweeps so he should know best. Maybe the rule is just that sweeps should always start with a downstroke.

_________________
Jason Kahrs
October 1, 1973 - January 5, 2010
Rest In Peace My Friend


Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:20 am
Posts: 6727
Post 
D-D-D-U-D-U-U

I usually alt. pick the top notes.

Don't know if that'd be uncomfortable for anyone else...


Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:53 am
Profile
Search Button God!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:05 pm
Posts: 5107
Location: Mailbag Of Doom
Post 
Refried Bean wrote:
D-D-D-U-D-U-U

I usually alt. pick the top notes.



Same here.

_________________
Image


Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:39 am
Profile
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:07 pm
Posts: 5559
Location: Bra-silk
Post 
Lamer wrote:
Refried Bean wrote:
D-D-D-U-D-U-U

I usually alt. pick the top notes.



Same here.


freeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkss

_________________
Image
JeffMartin wrote:
Incredibly cool artwork.
You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.


Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:22 pm
Profile YIM
Motorman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:10 pm
Posts: 375
Location: Morgantown, WV
Post 
Sir Robin wrote:
Lamer wrote:
Refried Bean wrote:
D-D-D-U-D-U-U

I usually alt. pick the top notes.



Same here.


freeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkss



Oooh, look at us! We're Bean and Lamer! We're fancy!


Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:04 pm
Profile
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:37 pm
Posts: 5165
Location: London
Post 
:lol:

_________________
Thanks MDucran


Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:10 pm
Profile
Search Button God!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:05 pm
Posts: 5107
Location: Mailbag Of Doom
Post 
Jerhova wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:
Lamer wrote:
Refried Bean wrote:
D-D-D-U-D-U-U

I usually alt. pick the top notes.



Same here.


freeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkss



Oooh, look at us! We're Bean and Lamer! We're fancy!


Yeah but the difference is that one of us is a mad shred machine with uber chops, amazing phrasing and alternative picking speed and accuracy that would make PG think twice....













...and the other one is Bean.






:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:




I'm just kidding. I can't play ;(

_________________
Image


Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:32 pm
Profile
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:55 pm
Posts: 6676
Location: Southern Ontario
Post 
Refried Bean wrote:
D-D-D-U-D-U-U

I usually alt. pick the top notes.

Don't know if that'd be uncomfortable for anyone else...


I do it that way.


Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:58 pm
Profile
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:23 am
Posts: 640
Location: Wisconsin
Post 
D-D-D-U-D-U-D

That's assuming that you meant


-----------9---12--9---------
----10----------------10----- repeat
-9----------------------------

and not

-----------9---12--9---------
----10----------------10----- repeat
-9--------------------------9--

_________________
-Nathan


Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:14 pm
Profile
Godzilla

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:31 pm
Posts: 681
Location: Munich
Post 
In all honesty?

DUDUDUDUDUDUDU (alternate picking)

I'd not play it (in a non-cover, non-practice situation) at higher tempos than I could alternate pick it, I don't think, there are enough folk out there doing that.

When I practise sweeping it, I do either

DDDUPUUDDUPUU

or

DDDUDUUDDUDUU

so I guess I'm fancy, too! :lol:

Interestingly enough, sweeping is the latest topic in Martin Goulding's Metal Bootcamp column in Guitar Techniques magazine.

He shows it as

DDDUPUDDDUPUDDD

Perhaps Levi (MissMistreater), who's studied with him, knows why?

I'd guess it's to make sure that the downstroke falls on the downbeat.


Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:09 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.