View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 The Laney/Marshall Thread 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=118&sub_category_id=121

I retubed my GH50L and went from stock to high-gain JJ EL34s (the have a kit you can buy). I can tell the different in tone. The new tubes are a little smoother and fatter sounding. I also bought a weber mass from eurotubes. Weber mass + the new tubes made me love my amp.

Yess!! They rock dude. Everyone there knows their shit and are really a pleasure to deal with. I did a complete retube like in August. A week ago I turned on my amp and noticed a problem, I called them up and they told me to do some tests and I came to the conclusion that it was a preamp tube that died I just gave them a quick call back and three days later I had the new tube.

Just call em up tell em your amp, tell them the tones you like, and they'll get you going.

Great prices too!

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

thanks. I just checked em out, i think i may get the high gain e34l set too, whats a webber mass?

oh and which slot is V4, the inner pre or outer?

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:40 am
Motorman

thanks. I just checked em out, i think i may get the high gain e34l set too, whats a webber mass?

oh and which slot is V4, the inner pre or outer?

weber mass is an attenuator. This sounds bad but I don't remember which is V4 :oops:

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:59 am
Superhero

no worries, should be easy enough to find out.

Just ordered a set. woohoo

I dont think i need an attenuator, i can have it loudish at home, and im liking the tone i get.

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:52 am
Viking Kong

How close do your tones get from Paul's when he used these cabs. I mean late Mr. Big, Technical Difficulties, Superheroes tone. You know that video of a class in New York around 96? That's what I'm looking for. For me it's hard to ge one, because here in Brazil it's almost impossible to find them in stick, so I can't try them out.

Also, what was the combos Paul used? the VCs? Do they give you a good PG tone as well?

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:35 pm
Profile YIM
Superhero

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I've seen him play live with VC50 combos which are no longer made.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:29 am
Viking Kong

Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:35 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Changed to the Laney/Marshall thread to accommodate the dudes who also got Marshall amps since Paul's switch.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:32 am
Motorman

I just picked up a secondhand Laney VC30 today. I LOVE it. I'd been wanting something with EL84s and as such it has a faint Vox vibe to it. I assume the VC50 was two EL34s

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:42 pm
Promises to use Search button

I have just bought my first tube amp!
It's a Laney VC50
but does anyone know how to use the standby switch and what it's for?

It Ideally is suppose to protect your valves against Cathode Stripping due to inrush current, but is practice it doesn't do a damn thing against that as cathode stripping due to inrush is a non issue for audio valves, you can actually do more harm by leaving your amp on standby for long periods of time, such as back lining.

The GH/SH Laney's have an automated soft start heater circuit anyway, the standby is a novelty at best in those amps.

Thu May 06, 2010 5:26 am
Promises to use Search button

Yess!! They rock dude. Everyone there knows their shit and are really a pleasure to deal with. I did a complete retube like in August. A week ago I turned on my amp and noticed a problem, I called them up and they told me to do some tests and I came to the conclusion that it was a preamp tube that died I just gave them a quick call back and three days later I had the new tube.

Just call em up tell em your amp, tell them the tones you like, and they'll get you going.

Great prices too!

I wouldn't go that far, and Bob states some pretty outrageous claims on his sight. Don't forget Bob is a salesman, not a tech! (he openly states this), his goal is to sell JJ valves, and and only JJ's, that's it! so long as you see past this, is all that matters. So buy JJ's from him if he is a better deal for you, but don't buy from him because you are getting expert advice at a premium, or take his word about the matched phase inverter snake oil crap he tries to sell people on. (I can list a number of reasons some of his claims are BS concerning that example alone... especially in a lowly guitar amp, which is by design, low on the totem pole regarding audio reproduction)

Thu May 06, 2010 5:47 am
Viking Kong

Post Re: The Laney/Marshall Thread
This is what my Laney sounds like and the tubes are 5-6 years old. (that weird sound you hear is my fan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO3B4126ReQ

8)

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:00 pm
Viking Kong

Sounds like smexy secks 8)

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:27 pm
Dr. X

Awesome thread!!!
I'm still reading it, but page 6 was one of the coolest collection of information I ever found on internet.

Time to rock!! \m/

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I´m planning on buying my first all-valve amp, but have very limited budget. I´ve been considering getting a Marshall MA50C, because it´s affordable. It seems that the speaker element is very poor, which would mean setting me back another $150 to upgrade it.
Now I just found out I could also get a Laney LC30-2 for about the same price. I don´t need an amp that is able to do über-metal, but something solid with a relatively warm clean and a somewhat thick gain. The [Laney] VC30 had awesome clean channel, but the distortion just wasn´t there(read: there was still too little amount of it and it was too bluesy).

So, any recommendations/comments on the MA50C and LC30? My budget is about $800.

:)

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

You would be able to pick up a VC50 if you looked...

If you want to endure my bad playing and untuned guitar, then here's what mine sounds like with fresh tubes (before it starts to go quiet and stuff)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/91lzu579rhudesl/demo.mp3

Set to max gain and a lot of drive how it should be.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:22 pm
Viking Kong

In case u don't find A vc50, you can get an overdrive or DS pedal and put it in front of the VC30. you get the tone of the valves and the heaviness of the pedal.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:06 pm
Profile YIM
Godzilla

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I´m looking for an amp to play hard rock/party metal with.

Sir Robin wrote:
In case u don't find A vc50, you can get an overdrive or DS pedal and put it in front of the VC30. you get the tone of the valves and the heaviness of the pedal.

I do have the Ibanez Jemini, and was thinking about getting a bad monkey or some authentic tube distortion and maybe a compressor to tighten the sound..
So basically you´re saying that with a decent OD/DS pedal the VC series is overall a better choice than the LC? Very interesting. I´ve heard the VC series drive channel sounds a bit muddy, but maybe i´ll have to try one first. :)

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Zae wrote:
You would be able to pick up a VC50 if you looked...

If you want to endure my bad playing and untuned guitar, then here's what mine sounds like with fresh tubes (before it starts to go quiet and stuff)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/91lzu579rhudesl/demo.mp3

Set to max gain and a lot of drive how it should be.

Thanks for this clip! the VC50 (I assume that´s what you were using) sounded surprisingly ballsy, and would do probably even more so with the volume cranked up properly? :P That wasn´t too muddy to my ears anyway.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next