View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Is my wiring screwed up, or am I going crazy. 
Dr. X

Post Is my wiring screwed up, or am I going crazy.
I really need your guys help on this one, this is driving me crazy.

I have two nearly Identical guitars with pickup configurations. My RG550 and my PGM301.

My Rg550 is completely stock. The wiring is exactly how Ibanez has wired it.

My PGM301 has a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the neck and bridge, and the stock Ibanez/Dimarzio ISCV1 "Jem" Single Coil. I have used an Allparts/Dimarzio switch and have wired it completely correct as to this wiring diagram.

http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/C.pdf

Here lies my problem.

please listen to my Clip. I'm cycling through the pickup positions on each guitar, starting with the bridge going to the neck, then back to the bridge. The first guitar is the RG550 and the second is the PGM.

SoundClick artist: Explosivo - A rag tag bunch of hooligans and flim flams

The difference in output in positions 2 and 4 (middle and neck/middle and bridge ) on the PGM compared to the humbuckers in position 1 and 5 is huge! And when comparing the output in positions 2 and 4 with my RG550 and a Jem with Dimarzio Evolutions (which are even higher output than the Tone Zones ) and a Jem single coil (same as the PGM ) there is far less of a output difference.

Now I realise that the Tone Zones are quite high output, which would be understandable that the output difference to the single coil would be much different, but I've tested this problem against a Jem with similar pickups and there isn't a volume loss as substantial like this PGM.

Could anyone shed some light on this one? Perhaps one of you with a stock PGM or Tone Zones could tell me if their's sounds like that? Am I wrong and should there be such a volume difference? At this point the volume drop is so severe that using the 2 and 4 positions is totally impossible as the volume is so different.

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Maybe you should adjust your single coil plots. Do some heigh adjustment and it should be ok.

On my custom guitar I have a tone zone (bridge) and humbucker from hell (neck) and I have not this kind of problem. Let's try it and keep us informed. let's if anyone can help.

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:24 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Sorry that I don't know a thing about pickups.. and sorry to go offtopic, but

elfranchicano wrote:
On my custom guitar I have a tone zone (bridge) and humbucker from hell (neck)

How do they sound together?

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

How is the neck Tone Zone oriented? Which coil (adjustable or studs) is on the neck side?

Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:52 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I have a PGM 100 & 301 both with stock pickups and they do exactly the same thing when switching to positions two and four.. I also had an RG550 that didnt do it! I've gotta sat that the volume difference is biggest with the 301 though.

I just guessed that it was a PGM thing and, instead of trying to sort it out, I kinda came to like the tone and how you can instantly go to a cleaner, cruchier tone from full-on gain.. Maybe that's just me though :wink:

I'd be interested to know if it is something to do with the wiring

Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:13 pm
Dr. X

Tone zone and H from hell sound really good.
This was a configuration of pick ups that paul used a lot.

Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:44 pm
Dr. X

My 301 has the same issue. Sounds like this might be an intentional "feature" so that you can get Paul's glassy clean tone in the 2 and 4 positions through a hi-gain amp.

Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:47 pm
Dr. X

ya it certainly seems that way, cause theoutput does clean the distortion up quite a bit, wierd thing is, theres nothing wiring wise to make it do that! The Jem I compared it to, had the same config, same middle pickup, and HOTTER pickups!

Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

we've isolated down to pretty much, that the tone zones are far higher output than the middle pickup. The Jem we were comparing it to in fact, has a hotter pickup the middle.

ISCV1 (in the original jems and pgm) vs. ISCV2 (evolution single coil ) supposedly, the 1 is matched to PAFPROS wereas the 2 is matched to EVOs. This is the only concievable diagnosis to this problem.

I was wondering if you guys confirm something.

You guys with PGM's with Tone zones ( PGM400, PGM500, PGM800, PGM10th, PGM90th) could you do me a huge favour and confirm what pickup is in the middle? Should say on the bottom of it.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:35 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

My 500, both 10th's and 90th all have JEM singles in them.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:44 am
Dr. X

Could you confirm the number on the back of the pickup?

From my reasearch there are two Jem Single Coils, one is the ISCV1 which is matched to paf pro's and the other is the ISCV2 which is higher output matched to Evolutions.

You'd be the bomb if you did that. DA BOMB! This would also be great info to include in the PGM Models thread, sheds a little more light on that elusive middle pickup, which has in the past been marked as a jem single and more recently an FS-1 according to the pgm reissue vote

Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:03 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

yeah I noticed that too on my pgm301, my 500 has more oompf than the 301 but then I noticed on my pgm30, that there was no volume difference they are the crappy stock ones
if you use a nice crunchy blues tone the positions 2 and 4 really do stand out and has that fender sound

Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:32 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Well here it is.

we've isolated down to pretty much, that the tone zones are far higher output than the middle pickup. The Jem we were comparing it to in fact, has a hotter pickup the middle.

ISCV1 (in the original jems and pgm) vs. ISCV2 (evolution single coil ) supposedly, the 1 is matched to PAFPROS wereas the 2 is matched to EVOs. This is the only concievable diagnosis to this problem.

I changed the strings on my 300 last night and took a look under the pickup. It had a sticker that said V2. I'll check my 500 next time I change strings.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:41 pm
Dr. X

I've just sent the pickup to dimarzio, I talked with them on the phone and they insist that it is defective.

So I ripped it out, through in my middle pickup from my ibanez RG560 for the time being, and it worked perfectly. I honestly even think the pickup sounds better!

Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]