View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Looking to get an Orange PGM built 
Dr. X

I've got a deal happening that will make me happy so forget a custom for now. I asked on another forum for a decent USA luthier and they give me Australians and even DEVRIES!!! If I wanted a piece o' crap made, I'd just call Vegas Ed and not bother with the long distance call to Oz.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:25 am
Motorman

parlance wrote:
I don't think I'm the kind of person who could wait 6 months or more for a guitar.

Then I would reconsider custom built guitars. Considering the average turn around just for custom paint is 8 weeks, getting a full custom guitar in under 6 months it difficult.

That's why I'm hoping I can get a hold of the PGM orange body that he already has finished. That should considerably lower the turn around time.

If that prebuilt body isn't available I'm not sure what I'll do. Surely there must be shops out there with faster turn-around times!

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:35 am
Dr. X

Parlance, i should have made it more clear, the auction said no backplate, but would include one at a later date..... well i just went to the mailbox and i guess they delivered it on Friday, so he did come through in the end, but i knew getting it that it wouldnt have the backplate....it just seemed to take longer than originally thought.

Cmon Jack, whats this new deal your working on? Dont keep us in the dark

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:54 am
Dr. X

Parlance, also go to jemsite and search Chris woods, they have a full thread there on him and peoples experiences, also check out the legacy thread, ive posted a lot of nasty things about legacy

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:56 am
Dr. X

Seems Jaden is perhaps not all he is lauded to be.

and OutOfThisSwirled now refuses to work on Jaden's guitars

http://www.outofthisswirled.com/prices.html
"I will NOT swirl any Guitar Workshop bodies EVER.
I figured I had better state this in case any of you want to send me one of their guitar bodies. Knowing this up front will avoid any possible disappointment."

Sooooooo, I dunno. First I've ever heard of these complaints.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:30 pm
Motorman

If I were going to do a custom like this I would buy a wizard neck off Ebay, have chris woods cut the body, then find someone local to paint. Assemble everything yourself.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 pm
Dr. X

If I were going to do a custom like this I would buy a wizard neck off Ebay, have chris woods cut the body, then find someone local to paint. Assemble everything yourself.

Well, if they got the CNC programming, anyone should be able to do it, no?

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:29 pm
Motorman

On a side note does anyone know exactly when or specifically why Paul changed out the tone zones in the PGM orange for D-Activators?

It's impossible to tell because of the crappy video quality but I wish I could tell which he was using in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBw ... PL&index=1 which unfortunately would've been taken aroundish when he switched them.

If I could see the pole pieces more closely I could probably tell even though they look pretty similar. The D-Activator pole pieces are beveled inwards and the tone zone has the one row that have slots cut in them to adjust the height.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:40 pm
Motorman

rreeves wrote:

Well, if they got the CNC programming, anyone should be able to do it, no?

Yeah I would think so. I just mentioned Chris because I know he's done PGM bodies in the past. I bought one from him a couple of years ago. If I remember he quoted a 3 week turn around time and I ended up getting it in 2 months.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:55 pm
Dr. X

i want to hear what sharpant has to say about the fireman guitar. Its a scary thing sending a bunch of money for something you dont even get to try first.... Ive had some horrible experiences personally with that LEGACY asshole

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:59 pm
Dr. X

i want to hear what sharpant has to say about the fireman guitar. Its a scary thing sending a bunch of money for something you dont even get to try first.... Ive had some horrible experiences personally with that LEGACY asshole

Well, I didn't get to try the original Fireman before I bought it and that cost me 6 grand. :) It came from Rich so I know it'd be ok.

Oh, you asked what deal I had going a few posts back, didn't you, spins?

With luck, you'll all know very soon. :)

Trust me, it'll be better than some stinky Caparison. :lol:

+1 for info from sharpant and many MANY pics!

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:10 pm
Dr. X

thats kinda what i was saying earlier, if you buy whats offered by the big companies you get a relatively good guitar, then with a great setup the guitar can be awesome. I believe their quality is much more consistant than ones that are hand made. Thats why i kinda decided no more custom guitars, unless i can see, handle and play them first, otherwise i will stick with the big companies....well pretty much just ibanez.

Cmon Jack the suspense is killing me..... Ive got a few ideas too but the wife has had to put the leash on me for a bit, so i can only sit back and watch others buy.... Dont forget lots of pics

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:15 am
Dr. X

oh yeah, ive been meaning to mention, whoever that board member is that has the jester and the jalopeno pgms, those are probably the nicest guitars ever made IMO

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:18 am
Dr. X

You need to tell us the Woods Vai Fire guitar debacle story one day. :) Hopefully it had a happy ending.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:34 am
Dr. X

I....Need.....to ......spend.......oh wait, shes home, never mind. lol

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:03 am
Dr. X

oh yeah, ive been meaning to mention, whoever that board member is that has the jester and the jalopeno pgms, those are probably the nicest guitars ever made IMO
Guilty as charged. ;) Just to be clear, they are just stock PGM301s that were refinished. Nothing custom about them except the pickups and the finish.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:29 pm
Dr. X

spins wrote:
Guilty as charged. ;) Just to be clear, they are just stock PGM301s that were refinished. Nothing custom about them except the pickups and the finish.

Which seems to be the easiest way to go if I want a custom PGM. Whom did you use for the repaint?

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:44 pm
Dr. X

Matt_B wrote:
spins wrote:
Which seems to be the easiest way to go if I want a custom PGM. Whom did you use for the repaint?
It was pretty easy. I did replace the hardware too but I just wanted black and not cosmo black.

The person that painted the PGMs - I would never ever use them again and I'll leave it at that.

I've since moved on to a painter that I'm very happy with. His name is Mike Learn and he does work for Jackson and Charvel. His prices are fair, his turnaround is reasonable (6-8 weeks for paint jobs), the quality of his finishes are as good as anyone out there and he's very professional and easy to work with. He's also an incredibly talented artist.

So far I've had him paint graphics on a Charvel mutt, paint a Strat body with red metal flake and make a completely custom Zombie guitar.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:36 pm
Dr. X

Guilty as charged. ;) Just to be clear, they are just stock PGM301s that were refinished. Nothing custom about them except the pickups and the finish.[/quote]

Yeah that seems to be the best way to go, thats what i would do next time

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:50 pm
Dr. X

Jack Secret wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
spins wrote:
It was pretty easy. I did replace the hardware too but I just wanted black and not cosmo black.

The person that painted the PGMs - I would never ever use them again and I'll leave it at that.

I've since moved on to a painter that I'm very happy with. His name is Mike Learn and he does work for Jackson and Charvel. His prices are fair, his turnaround is reasonable (6-8 weeks for paint jobs), the quality of his finishes are as good as anyone out there and he's very professional and easy to work with. He's also an incredibly talented artist.

So far I've had him paint graphics on a Charvel mutt, paint a Strat body with red metal flake and make a completely custom Zombie guitar.

your zombie guitar is freakin awesome!

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1989 Fender Strat w/ Area '61 MIA
1987 Ibanez RG550

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next