View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Looking to get an Orange PGM built 
Motorman

Post Looking to get an Orange PGM built
I know a custom shop PGM Orange was sold here recently by CWR (alas, I've PM'd him to no avail, he hasn't posted anything in a few months so I don't know if he's still around here), but does anyone know where else I might be able to get a good replica of Paul's PGM Orange built?

If by some chance someone has one they want to unload that would also work for me. ;)

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:49 am
Godzilla

Chris Woods, and Craig put in the work on that replica, and you can contact either so see about another one.

http://www.christopherwoods.com/

Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:38 am
Motorman

Chris Woods, and Craig put in the work on that replica, and you can contact either so see about another one.

http://www.christopherwoods.com/

Thank you very kindly.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:39 am
Dr. X

May have to look into using his shop now.

EDIT: Well, what the hell, it's only money. Let's see if he or Jaden e-mail first and what kind of quotes I get. Transparent magenta faux pearl inlays with LED's underneath on an ebony fingerboard has a kind of perverse charm. :) If it's a custom, may as well make it custom all the way.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:37 am
Godzilla

Jack, I had been talking with Chris about doing the orange PGM about the same time Craig was. I put mine on the back burner until Craig's was done because I knew Craig was a stickler for detail, and he was actually there in the shop with Chris.

Fast forward a year, and I have been pushing Chris to go ahead and finish up mine. I will be doing a slight variation on what Craig did, but basically the same guitar.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:29 pm
Motorman

On his website he mentions he has a finished Orange PGM body ready to go and will finish the assembly into the final guitar for anyone who wants it.

I assume that is a completely different body than yours or Craig's? How are you getting yours differently than Craig's?

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:58 pm
Dr. X

Jack, I had been talking with Chris about doing the orange PGM about the same time Craig was. I put mine on the back burner until Craig's was done because I knew Craig was a stickler for detail, and he was actually there in the shop with Chris.

Fast forward a year, and I have been pushing Chris to go ahead and finish up mine. I will be doing a slight variation on what Craig did, but basically the same guitar.

With most luthiers I've read about, a year's wait doesn't seem too bad. Obviously I wouldn't expect to have it done in a week but equally they should not expect me to pay over half before the work is done.

Can't you send Craig to make him move his ass? :)

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:16 pm
Dr. X

all i can say is DO NOT use Legacy guitars to build you anything other than fancy firewood

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:21 pm
Godzilla

In all fairness to Chris, I have not really been on him about the PGM. I have multiple guitars going on, and the orange one was down the list.

I do not know anything about any that Chris may (or may not) have ready to go.

Mine will different than Craig's because I am doing a 3/4" maple top vs a veneer. Other than that, pretty much a dead replica.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:25 pm
Dr. X

How long has Craig had it or is this the one that was sold a few months ago?

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:58 pm
Dr. X

Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:24 am
Dr. X

I don't remember zactly but is Legacy = Chris Woods?

Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:26 am
Dr. X

no, legacy is Chris Taggart, but he has many aliases... Did you check jemsite for Chris woods? I know theres a thread there

Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:55 am
Dr. X

i think when you go custom, you want someone that has an excellent eye for the small details, i think from what ive seen, Jaden has that, if i was to get a guitar built it would be by him for sure. im very excited to hear how Sharpants fireman turns out.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:24 am
Dr. X

As I've said, he's probably my best bet. Depends if he e-mails me back, tho. Last time I inquired, I never got a reply.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:42 am
Dr. X

really? Everytime ive sent him an email i got a response in 24 hrs. That was one thing i liked about him. Maybe hes just busy.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:13 pm
Motorman

spins: How do you feel the PGM Orange you have works in terms setup and playability, workmanship in regards to the neck, action, etc?

Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:17 pm
Dr. X

The guitar plays and sounds awesome, however there were a few issues with it when i first got it. The ibanez sticker isnt 'cleared' over, and for some reason the back of the headstock has no finish on it, the rest of the neck does but just not on the headstock. Also when i got it, it was not well put together, the volume knob continuously turned, it was never tighted down, the neck pickup screw hole was stripped and the pickup was loose and bounced around, Everything is now fixed now, but thats not the way i was expecting it to come. Also i still havent received the backplate for the guitar as promised, Im told its in the mail. All these little things piss me off when im buying a guitar, and one reason why i say...Stick with manufactured guitars, they may not be perfect but ive yet to find anyone that builds guitars with a good attention to detail. From what ive seen Jaden seems to know what hes doing.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:02 pm
Motorman

I can't really comprehend the mindset when setting the guitar inside the case to be shipped away knowingly without even have the back plate on it. Did he really think you wouldn't notice or not care?

Anyway, of course if Ibanez was making a PGM Orange I'd insta-buy it, which I think a lot of people here have said, but of course unfortunately, they aren't.

I've never wanted a guitar more than I've wanted that one design and there just isn't any other way to get one short of breaking into PG's house and stealing his. ;(

You can see on his store page (http://homepage.mac.com/bigvelvetdog/Store/cwggtr.html) that he says he has a finished PGM body that can be assembled and he'll sell the complete guitar for $1200. If he does I can always ask for pictures of the full deal before going through with the deal which gives me a certain assurance of quality at least.

Having Jaden build the guitar would be ideal, but I don't think I'm the kind of person who could wait 6 months or more for a guitar.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:17 pm
Godzilla

I don't think I'm the kind of person who could wait 6 months or more for a guitar.

Then I would reconsider custom built guitars. Considering the average turn around just for custom paint is 8 weeks, getting a full custom guitar in under 6 months it difficult.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next